Shooters Outpost - Hooksett, NH

I got some powder and primers there last month (Riley's didn't have one of the powders I wanted), and they did not card me.
Anyone ever get carded for reloading stuff?

Yes. I watched while I was in the check out line and they did not enter any info when carding so I was ok with it. Everybody has to decide how much big brother they can tolerate I suppose. Stopped at Riley's first, as that had always been my go to store, and could not get anyone to help me at the reloading counter. I gather that they no longer staff it all the time or maybe never. Asked one of the employees if they could help me but he said they were too busy. It did not look all that busy but their call. Went down the road to Shooters. I had scoped out Shooters reloading counter on my way north a couple of days before and asked about availability of components and Dillon caliber change kits. Came in on Sunday the guy at the counter remembered me, what I was looking for, and they had everything I needed. I got all my stuff there.

Last edited:
Technically, neither booze nor ammo is mentioned in the Constitution.

Booze is obviously mentioned in the 18th Amendment as "intoxicating liquor." The same words are used in the 21st Amendment. You can't ban and repeal the ban on booze by not mentioning it.

Ammo is included by "arms" - a gun or artillery piece without ammo is a long club with perhaps a pointy end.

Anyways...

Booze is obviously mentioned in the 18th Amendment as "intoxicating liquor." The same words are used in the 21st Amendment. You can't ban and repeal the ban on booze by not mentioning it.

Ammo is included by "arms" - a gun or artillery piece without ammo is a long club with perhaps a pointy end.

Anyways...

Well I should have said Bill of Rights to be more precise about the booze part. Ammo though is what WE assume is meant by 'arms', but by dictionary definition arms means weapons not ammo. Hence stores with names like Collectible Arms and Ammo. Just saying its a semantic thing a lawyer could argue if the government wanted to.

Agree with it or not, lawful or not, the federal code restricts the purchase of ammunition by age. So much like alcohol, businesses ID people so that they are not subjected to enforcement action against them. SO is not unique in this regard.

To those saying they buy ammo in NH Walmart a all the time and never get asked for ID, which ones? Every Walmart in NH I go to always asks. Portsmouth/Newington, Manchester, Epping, Plaistow, Seabrook. They all ID.

Agree with it or not, lawful or not, the federal code restricts the purchase of ammunition by age. So much like alcohol, businesses ID people so that they are not subjected to enforcement action against them. SO is not unique in this regard.

To those saying they buy ammo in NH Walmart a all the time and never get asked for ID, which ones? Every Walmart in NH I go to always asks. Portsmouth/Newington, Manchester, Epping, Plaistow, Seabrook. They all ID.

I've bought ammo in numerous places and not been asked for ID, including the Manchester WM. However, since I look very much like someone quite a bit older than 21, I can see them not carding me but carding some others.

Seabrook definitely cards. Even though I have known the sport's clerk, Steve, for over 10 years, he still cards me since I'm well past the age of 21, so age is not the reason for IDing.

Never been asked in Manchester.

In the land of litigious liberals looking to litigate against any party associated with a criminal act involving a gun that we currently find ourselves, I would card my own father if he tried to buy ammo & I were the business owner. And he died from old age.

Last edited:
I only get carded in MA for ammo. I'm also obviously over the age of 18.

What are they carding you for? To verify age? If that's the case I don't see the problem

In Mass it's illegal to sell ammo to someone without a resident LTC or FID. Even with a non-resident LTC you can't purchase ammo in MA.

It's a personal choice. Some here will roll over so as not to make waves "for the cause" ,others want to follow the law and the Constitution. Telling me it's a law when it's not is dishonest. As I said before ,I choose not to deal with liars. The liberal agenda is pretty effective when people will submit without question rather than appear politically incorrect.

In Mass it's illegal to sell ammo to someone without a resident LTC or FID. Even with a non-resident LTC you can't purchase ammo in MA.

This is one of the most retarded laws out there. We're 'approved' by the state to carry a gun in your state, but.... you can't buy ammo there. That's fine, cheaper and no tax up here.

Last edited:

Yep, I get asked in Amherst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was up there yesterday, the ammo prices lately haven't been very good. They did have a good selection of reloading stuff though, unless you want 168gr Sierra Matchkings.

Went by there today and holy overpriced milsurps Batman!! They had a nice selection of them but they were priced between 50%-100% higher than they were worth. No bargains there. And the ammo was also priced pretty high, e.g. american eagle 115gr 9mm for $15. I don't know if they are trying to pay for the expansion they're talking about doing or what but they are not competitively priced anymore.

Went by there today and holy overpriced milsurps Batman!! They had a nice selection of them but they were priced between 50%-100% higher than they were worth. No bargains there. And the ammo was also priced pretty high, e.g. american eagle 115gr 9mm for $15. I don't know if they are trying to pay for the expansion they're talking about doing or what but they are not competitively priced anymore.

Got the foot traffic maybe capitalizing on that? Basically there are very few good prices anywhere anymore. Went shopping today at a "cheap" store. I could not believe the prices for the garbage they had. Store sucked also. No prices on half the stuff , signage was awful.

They had Garands that didn't even have original stocks (some weren't even GI) for over $1000 each, one was $2000 and was nothing special. Several 1917s that started at $750 for again nothing special. An SVT40 for $2100. Howa M1 carbines for $750. Crazy!

They had Garands that didn't even have original stocks (some weren't even GI) for over $1000 each, one was $2000 and was nothing special. Several 1917s that started at $750 for again nothing special. An SVT40 for $2100. Howa M1 carbines for $750. Crazy!

Maybe consignment guns with unrealistic owners? Sounds like the shops down here in SE MA.
I would give 750$ for a nice HOWA M1 carbine. Heck they made all sorts of carbine and M1 parts after the war and from what I understand the HOWA plant was basically run as a U.S. arsenal during the Korean war for repairs of carbine?

Part of me says at least they have some. I basically will counter offer below value when I think something I s priced to high. If I really like something I will give them the chance to "sell" it to me.

I have not seen a 1917 in any shop I have been into for under 1000$ I would rate them as border line rack grade.

Last edited:
These were not consignments, they were from the big collection SO purchased last summer. Different tags on consignment guns.

The HOWA carbines were nice but I could spend a little bit more (850 asking) at Patriot in Ipswich and get a real USGI Saginaw gun. Howa are basically a Japanese copy/repro.

I would always offer unless the price was right but when you start at 50% or more above what its worth, how do you counter? A $2000 garand that doesn't even have a cartouche on the wood, where do you start? The Remington 1917 for $750 was probably closest to real world pricing I saw.

Back
Top Bottom