Shooters Outpost - Hooksett, NH

These were not consignments, they were from the big collection SO purchased last summer. Different tags on consignment guns.

The HOWA carbines were nice but I could spend a little bit more (850 asking) at Patriot in Ipswich and get a real USGI Saginaw gun. Howa are basically a Japanese copy/repro.

I would always offer unless the price was right but when you start at 50% or more above what its worth, how do you counter? A $2000 garand that doesn't even have a cartouche on the wood, where do you start? The Remington 1917 for $750 was probably closest to real world pricing I saw.
Howa was contracted by US during occupation to make parts and repair USGI carbines plus they armed up the japan national police with their own made carbines....I like them and think they are very well made and would add one to my carbine collection along with a erma werkes , I have a 22lr erma werkes M1 carbine and it pretty nice. Any how I agree there are some crazy prices out there.
They start high I start low.

- - - Updated - - -

These were not consignments, they were from the big collection SO purchased last summer. Different tags on consignment guns.

The HOWA carbines were nice but I could spend a little bit more (850 asking) at Patriot in Ipswich and get a real USGI Saginaw gun. Howa are basically a Japanese copy/repro.

I would always offer unless the price was right but when you start at 50% or more above what its worth, how do you counter? A $2000 garand that doesn't even have a cartouche on the wood, where do you start? The Remington 1917 for $750 was probably closest to real world pricing I saw.

You need a lot of details when trying to justify a price. I have seen plenty of NM M1 garands with zero stamps and shiny glossy finish.

If the 2000$ M1 is nothing more than a service grade with new wood you start with going price I guess of 730$ is it a CMP special 1030$
The real problem begins when they cant even come close to justifying the asking price?
Like a enfield I had seen a while back wanted 900$ it was nice and all had nice target sights on it and such. Although other than that it eapears to me to be nothing more than a very good condition Canadian built rilfe with target sights....I would have paid 500$

Last edited:
These were definitely not NM Garands, I've seen those before and these just looked like nice SG Springfields. I don't know how they get to 2 grand for it but I wasn't even going to waste my time trying to find out.

If you're interested in a Howa, there were 4 as I recall and all looked nice. Each was $750. Still a commercial gun made in Japan IMO but closer to GI than say a Universal.

Was up there yesterday, the ammo prices lately haven't been very good. They did have a good selection of reloading stuff though, unless you want 168gr Sierra Matchkings.
This^^^^ Holy crap. I was there yesterday. They had Blazer brass .40 at something like 16.99/box. Palmetto state is selling the same stuff for 10.99/box this weekend. (Can't buy from PSA, of course...grrrr) I went to Walmart instead.

Riley's was 19.95 for the same Box today
I went for 9mm Bulk but saw No deals

For bulk 9mm I just buy extra boxes of Blazer Brass at FS. Strangely, this week they were advertising 350rd bulk packs for more money than 7 50rd boxes, $87.50 vs. $83.93

Does SO have any deals on bulk 55gr 5.56? I need to buy several hunter rounds for an upcoming class I'm taking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last time I was there I grabbed 1000 rounds for $320 I believe? Federal, loose rounds in a box.

I thought it was cheap enough. [emoji4]

Stopped by there this weekend (last visit was the beginning of March) to pick up some of the ammo they had on sale for some really good prices. Went upstairs to see what they had for milsurps and not surprise they still had almost all of the same overpriced milsurps I reported on in March. The only things I didn't see anymore that were there last time (and the prices haven't changed) were the SVT and one of the Howa carbines are gone. I guess they're just waiting for suckers but people aren't biting. A couple of other guys were there looking them over at the same time and they were laughing at the prices on them too. The only thing I saw that may be reasonable (and I want it) was a 1941 Johnson Automatics rifle for $5800. Very cool gun.

report from previous visit:
They had Garands that didn't even have original stocks (some weren't even GI) for over $1000 each, one was $2000 and was nothing special. Several 1917s that started at $750 for again nothing special. An SVT40 for $2100. Howa M1 carbines for $750. Crazy!

Stopped by there this weekend (last visit was the beginning of March) to pick up some of the ammo they had on sale for some really good prices. Went upstairs to see what they had for milsurps and not surprise they still had almost all of the same overpriced milsurps I reported on in March. The only things I didn't see anymore that were there last time (and the prices haven't changed) were the SVT and one of the Howa carbines are gone. I guess they're just waiting for suckers but people aren't biting. A couple of other guys were there looking them over at the same time and they were laughing at the prices on them too. The only thing I saw that may be reasonable (and I want it) was a 1941 Johnson Automatics rifle for $5800. Very cool gun.

report from previous visit:

Wow[rolleyes]

I had to look up that johnson rifle, that is sweet. I'd have plenty of 30-06 to feed that but not enough cash for the gun[laugh]

QUOTE=jpm;4948708]you wanna go down the road to Collectable Arms & Ammo for the bulk ammo deals.[/QUOTE]

Ya I always stop by Collectable in Merrimack when I'm on a Ammo run. Shooters has a greater selection of ammo, but Collectable has a lot of ammo cheaper. (also some of their bulk deals too!) They are the also the only place that sells golden tiger 7.63x39....best AK ammo around!

Simple a case where "bigger" is not necessarily "better"!

Was up here Saturday and they had everything in stock but ammo prices are just not good, over 30c a round for steel cased 7.62x39? Lots of powders and primers at fair prices though.

johnsonm1941.jpg
1941 Johnson Automatics

Last edited:
First time patron. They greeted me with a "Can I help you". I was then allowed to fondle the stock without producing my license. I took my intended purchase to the cashier and he wished me a "Have a good day" at the end of the transaction. I am thoroughly confused as to this "good service in a gun shop" concept. I think the workers smiling at me was the most uncomfortable part.

If that's their store policy and it is posted, well, you bought your firearm agreeing to those conditions.

IMHO it is not at all unreasonable for them to have a gunsmith check it out and repair as necessary. It happens. I'm not thrilled when that happens, but it does happen. And if the gunsmith is not there when you stop by, well, you'll have to wait. As long as it's dealt with in a reasonable amount of time that's the way it works.

It's likely something really small and dumb. Give them a chance to make it right. It seems they are trying.

I had another store not offer to refund a gun I said was malfunctioning - and I wouldn't have expected them to. They DID take charge of getting it manufacturer-repaired so it would keep the warranty. They handled that fine, as was their responsibility. It sounds like SO is doing exactly that - taking it in, evaluating it to see if it's something simple, and handling the warranty return for you including shipping. I think that's right. They're not Nordstroms.

Yea...

I know. Expecting more than a surly attitude, being basically called a liar and "we'll fix it some day" makes me very unreasonable.

So the one part I don't understand... you're a "certified AR armorer" and you bought a Tier 3, maybe Tier 4 gun, intentionally? [rofl] Not that the gun shouldn't work properly but this strikes me as something people with experience simply don't do.

-Mike

As a certified AR Armorer I field stripped it, oiled it, tried three different magazine types and two different ammo types. Did not eject a single round.

... and my military service, my certification as a Law Enforcement and Firearms instructor and my armor certification...

Why did't you fix it yourself?

I wonder how many people that bought guns before the election are trying to return them now that trump won?

I'm not saying anyone here is doing that, but I wonder if gun stores are seeing a lot of recent returns this week.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I wonder how many people that bought guns before the election are trying to return them now that trump won?

I'm not saying anyone here is doing that, but I wonder if gun stores are seeing a lot of recent returns this week.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

The tinfoil knitting circle types returning guns? doubt it, unless they're whipped and their wife makes them do it. Most of the guns from the "scares" end up buried in closets coated in dust.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom