Shooters Outpost - Hooksett, NH

$12.49 Blazer Brass at Reilly's. Shooters had some decent priced 62gr, and a ton of 5.45 bulk. Both stores are usually pretty close on price and availability, buy today Reilly's happened to have the edge. Sometimes its the other way. But I dislike their ID policy enough to take ALL my business to Reilly's. If I do stop in again, it will be to tell them I'll be spending $300 a few miles down the road.

I stopped in today. lots of 5.45 ammo, as well as others. the ammo area is fully stocked. as a matter of fact the whole store is pretty well stocked ! S&W MP15 sports for $649.99.... most other ARs have come down in price . WASRs in stock , Mosins, some Chinese Nagants. lots of holster and carrying supplies.

Nice to have choices.... went up the road as well

Nice to hear. I actually had bought much of my 22lr stash over the last 10 months from them. Prices averaged about 1 dollar above the competition. I can live with that. Their layaway policies have not been kind to me however. They would not do layaway on a surplus Mosin I had been waiting many months for. Would not even hold it for one day. Buying that cost me a $35 overdraft fee. Still it was a good one so I was happy. Another time I saw a used pistol in a caliber had been looking for. Again no layaway. This time because it was on consignment. I went home really dismayed about it until I logged onto Gunbroker and found twice the gun for $50 more. I suppose I should be thankful for that. Lastly I inquired about a revolver in particular caliber and was told that they had one sitting there for 6 months before selling it so they were probably not going to order another one...

While I feel a little safer driving thru the streets of Lawrence I wish something could be done about the sterile, rigid atmosphere at Shooters Outpost. Don't get me wrong, I am still happy to shop there. I just don't stop at the Outpost first...

While I feel a little safer driving thru the streets of Lawrence I wish something could be done about the sterile, rigid atmosphere at Shooters Outpost. Don't get me wrong, I am still happy to shop there.....

I have no particular ax to grind with Shooter's Outpost, have purchased a few small accessory items from them and always stop there if I am in the Hooksett area. I realize too, that SO is the new retail model for gun stores, but I have always had a particular feeling when I go in there and could never quite put my finger on it. Thank you Nick Fury for putting into words what I feel when I go into the place: sterile, rigid atmosphere...just doesn't feel welcoming to me. Nothing against the patrons or the owners or the employees there...just a vibe, and I will continue to stop there when in the area.

I've been to Shoots Outpost about 6 times since the opened. Its a nice place but I agree there seem to be something missing.

I guess I'd say I'd lacks an identity / character. Maybe because its still new but every time I go I still get the impression of "slick" and "chrome" and a Starbucks boutique type atmosphere. It kind of lacks a business/gun shop soul....

Yes there are large selections of stuff, but having to take a number for service, chasing down people to have questions answered and locked up rifles just puts me off. I also experience the "don't do lay away" reply and I hear they now don't even take in trades ins for gun purchases.

For my money I prefer smaller places that have a bit more character and customer services.

Riley's in Hookset and Collectable in Merrimack have a much better Gun Shop atmosphere... and customer service.

They both buy and sell guns, take trade ins and will order guns for you.... That's customer service !!!

Last edited:
The no layaway on consignments isn't unique to them. Most places I've shopped at don't do it because its not fair to the owner who consigned the piece if you lock it up on layaway for a month or so then change your mind and they have to give you the money back. No excuse for not letting you do it on guns they own though.

Yeah I understand. I just had to throw that in my review because I was on a roll. Plus I tend to take layaway as a serious commitment therefore forget it doesn't really operate that way. Regardless I can balance it out with many tales of scoring my quota of bulk .22 or Mini-Mags at a fair price. And I don't get my panties too bunched up over being IDed. Although I probably should...

I've been to Shoots Outpost about 6 times since the opened. Its a nice place but I agree there seem to be something missing.

I guess I'd say I'd lacks an identity / character. Maybe because its still new but every time I go I still get the impression of "slick" and "chrome" and a Starbucks boutique type atmosphere. It kind of lacks a business/gun shop soul....

Yes there are large selections of stuff, but having to take a number for service, chasing down people to have questions answered and locked up rifles just puts me off. I also experience the "don't do lay away" reply and I hear they now don't even take in trades ins for gun purchases.

For my money I prefer smaller places that have a bit more character and customer services.

Riley's in Hookset and Collectable in Merrimack have a much better Gun Shop atmosphere... and customer service.

They both buy and sell guns, take trade ins and will order guns for you.... That's customer service !!!

Not sure about Collectable but Riley's does do layaway. I think they only offer 90 days though.

Sterile is a great description! The staff is friendly, but the store doesn't feel warm. Its chock full of brand new, full retail, mid-grade, mass-market products. Stuff that if I really wanted, I'd buy online cheaper. Not a great selection of nice, used guns...plenty of plasticy new shotguns. No cardboard box of discarded holsters and parts to dig through, my favorite part of most stores. Its a great place for people new to guns, who don't know a whole bunch and can walk out the door with a complete package. Or someone who really needs a 5.11 Thumb Drive holster.... And the ID out of state policy is crap, really. Next time I'm up that way, I'm going to pick out what I want and have it rung up, then let them know that that's how much money Ill be spending down the street. Its worth making a stand on.

And the ID out of state policy is crap, really. Next time I'm up that way, I'm going to pick out what I want and have it rung up, then let them know that that's how much money Ill be spending down the street. Its worth making a stand on.

Why not just skip all that BS and shop down the street if you feel that strongly about it? I guarantee you they would just laugh at you- you're probably not the first person to think of that and you won't be the last. Meanwhile the guy behind you in line at the register will probably buy some or all of the ammo you left on the counter. [laugh] Do you do the same thing at NH walmarts? The clerk will just think you're an *******, you're not going to change the policy.

-Mike

....Its chock full of brand new, full retail, mid-grade, mass-market products. Stuff that if I really wanted, I'd buy online cheaper. Not a great selection of nice, used guns...plenty of plasticy new shotguns. No cardboard box of discarded holsters and parts to dig through, my favorite part of most stores...... And the ID out of state policy is crap, really. Next time I'm up that way, I'm going to pick out what I want and have it rung up, then let them know that that's how much money Ill be spending down the street. Its worth making a stand on.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a "homey, backwoods gunshop starter kit" available to deliver those things to a new shop. If you don't like it, shop at Riley's. Your "stand" will make no difference to them, me or anybody else.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a "homey, backwoods gunshop starter kit" available to deliver those things to a new shop. If you don't like it, shop at Riley's. Your "stand" will make no difference to them, me or anybody else.

I dunno about that...Blue Northern was that way from the get-go even when they were in the strip mall by the Ayer Rotary back in the day...

"We will be opening at 7am on Black Friday with lots of special deals!

We'll be open till 7pm for your shopping enjoyment!

We will then open at 9am on Saturday and be kicking off our 1 year anniversary sale that will continue through December 24.
We hope to see you."

copy and pasted from their FB from 10 minutes ago!

I was up there earlier today and saw the following notable items:

Palmetto State Armory Standard lower parts kit (W/stock kit) $89.00 (Blackhawk)
Palmetto State Armory MOE lower parts kits (w/stock kit) $119
Blaze Brass 350 rounds in field box 9mm $99.99
Blazer Brass 50 round boxes for $13.99

They were giving fliers out at the door:

Anderson Stripped Lower $89.99
PSA Lower parts kit $64.99
M&P Sport $599 (there was like a pallet of these)
M&P 22 w/535 rounds for $339.99
S&W ORC MA Compliant $799

I bought nothing. I'm sad. But I'm pretty well stocked on ammo right now.

Back
Top Bottom