Shooters Outpost - Hooksett, NH

While I think it is lame that they "over-comply" at SO, the first two forms of ID you showed were not what they require. All they are legally required to do is make sure you are of age to purchase Ammo. They have made a store policy that says that they require that you are legal in your home state to possess ammunition. NH non-resident pistol/revolver license does not meet that requirement, neither does your MA DL. They should have explained this to you at the register, and on their FB page instead of deleting your comment.

Before I get attacked, please know, I do not agree with their policy. I own property in a free state, so owning post ban magazines, so long as they stay out of PRM, is completely legal. They would rather turn away that business than risk any encounter with the MA AG. This is how they explained it to me. The owner has addressed this in other threads, and maybe even earlier in this one.

If I had all that money invested in a new venture, I cannot say I wouldn't be a little cautious myself. Be happy that the owner of SO didn't purchase Rileys. That was his original intent. That would have changed the policy down the road.

Last edited:
They asked for my DL, then they asked for my MA LTC... I didn't choose to she's hem my DL first...

but honestly, it's the way they chose to handle my FB post that really bothered me.. Anyway, lets move on... I needed to vent and I did...

Last edited:
They asked for my DL, then they asked for my MA LTC... I didn't choose to she's hem my DL first...

but honestly, it's the way they chose to handle my FB post that really bothered me.. Anyway, lets move on... I needed to vent and I did...

. . . because if you had a NH DL that would have ended the conversation. Show them a foreign (MA) DL and then they go to step 2, MA LTC/FID. BTDT.

I think the real point here is that they chose to delete my post instead of explaining that to me... I had not written them off until they did that!

My thoughts exactly, it will be a long time before I buy at their store again if at all... Not because they asked me for 3 forms of Id but because they deleted my comment... Definitely not the way I would do business! But that's ok, I am sure they have enough customers and won't miss my little drip of business!

Bad news travels fast so your little drip will cause ripples. No customer is too small.

Jumpin Jeses.....this again with the MA guys and having to show an FID or LTC.....for F*** sake you would have to show it if you were in MA what is the problem with the owner of SO just covering his ass. Just whip out the damn LTC or FID and be done with it. FYI.....I'm from MA and go to SO all the time when I'm up there......have no problem showing my LTC to buy ammo.

Yup, as was explained in another thread, the owner of SO/MFL has already been involved in litigation in Mass

As a new business venture with SO, he explained he is doing everything he can to try to make sure he doesn't get involved again. Other shops haven't been caught up, they choose not to do the same thing. I do however wonder how quick another shop would do the same thing if they were hauled down to MA in a lawsuit.

Bottom line, that's their policy, if it really is that big an issue to you, your money will spend just as well at some place that doesn't ask for ID.

Here's one explaining why

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...all-nh-dealers-iding-ammo-10.html#post3022344

and another

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...all-nh-dealers-iding-ammo-12.html#post3032006

It might be wise to ask why and understand the position that people get put into that makes them make sure to protect themselves, their business'

Last edited:
At the risk of keeping this going, I was ok the first time they asked! I was even ok when they asked for my DL, I was a little miffed when they asked for the third ID and where they lost me as a customer was when they felt that my post on their FB page was not only not worth responding to but deleted it... A response explaining all this would have eliminated my reaction... Oh, and the little sales girl said, I just like to ask when I said something about needing three forms of ID... Anyway... It's not so much about the asking as it is how they handled me as a customer, I would hate to see what their reaction would be if I bought a big ticket item and had a problem with it...

I whipped out my NH LTC, wasn't good enough... At their request I then whipped out my DL... Wasn't good enough... At their request I then whipped out my MA LTC... I don't have a problem showing... If you read my posts it is all about they handled me as a customer... Anyway, just my opinion... Sorry if it differs from yours...

Boo Hoo. Every time I try to buy ammo in MA I am flat out denied because I'm from NH.
At least you have the option to buy in NH.

Do we really need to bring this up again? If you don't like their carding policy then don't shop there. It's that simple. It'll leave more discounted products for the rest of us whose goal is to get ammo rather than to make some kind of political statement that will be lost in the noise. There are plenty of other shops in NH that don't card (other than for age) if that is a big deal to you.

For the love of god, just let it die, please.

-Mike

Do we really need to bring this up again? If you don't like their carding policy then don't shop there. It's that simple. It'll leave more discounted products for the rest of us whose goal is to get ammo rather than to make some kind of political statement that will be lost in the noise. There are plenty of other shops in NH that don't card (other than for age) if that is a big deal to you.

For the love of god, just let it die, please.

-Mike

Mike, last post... I promise... Please understand that what upset me was the way they handled my post on their FB page.... This could have all been handled by a well crafted response that explained to me what others on this thread explained... I now get why they asked for so much ID. Just don't count on their Facebook page for any indication of their customer satisfaction or service since they delete even the most minimal of negative comments.... Forget about the asking for ID and think about what their actions on FB say about their customer service or what they think about customer satisfaction... Sorry if you cant understand that, i really cant make it much simpler... That's it... Done! Enough said....

MA resident out shopping.

Pharmacy

Clerk:May I see a form of ID....
LTC dude hands over LTC.
Clerk:Sorry I can't accept this,do you have a DL?
LTC dude gets offended his LTC Badge of Honor is unacceptable....Runs to NES to vent frustration!

NH gun store.
Clerk:May I see your ID?
LTC dude hands over DL.
Clerk:I need to see your LTC.
LTC dude gets offended he was asked for his LTC like it was "papers please"....runs to NES to vent frustration!

Mike, last post... I promise... Please understand that what upset me was the way they handled my post on their FB page.... This could have all been handled by a well crafted response that explained to me what others on this thread explained... I now get why they asked for so much ID. Just don't count on their Facebook page for any indication of their customer satisfaction or service since they delete even the most minimal of negative comments.... Forget about the asking for ID and think about what their actions on FB say about their customer service or what they think about customer satisfaction... Sorry if you cant understand that, i really cant make it much simpler... That's it... Done! Enough said....

I assume you knew exactly why they were carding you.

Just vote the mass holes out of office next time. Until then show the LTC.

It sucks, I hate it here but can't move. Frankly at this point I am surprised we can even own a firearm here.

I went to Shooters Outpost yesterday and picked up some ammo, when I went to pay I was asked for my license so I showed my NH LTC, she looked at it and said... I need to see your drivers license... I showed her my DL and then she said... I need to see your MA LTC.... Now, I have friends who go there that live in NH and are never asked for ID when buying ammo... Me, they want to see 3 different forms of ID! I thought maybe I had never left Mass, but then I remembered that my LTC is good enough there... Now, as if that wasn't bad enough... I posted on their FB page and guess what, within 10 minutes they had removed it! They managed to completely alienate an already disgruntled customer! I went down the road and bought ammo at Rileys, no ID required!

Now, I am 55 and there is no way to mistake me as underage so I know they weren't checking that... I didn't mind showing them my LTC, its a NH LTC which means the State Police allow me to carry a handgun concealed in their state but its not good enough to buy ammo? I didn't complain when she wanted my DL because I figured she wanted a picture ID... but then she wanted to see my MA LTC... ridiculous! I am surprised they didn't want to print me as well!

Go and leave another nice one on yelp or something else!

Charles.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I'd like to see more accesories and such in stock at SO: I was pleasantly surprised when I went in yesterday and found they've stocked up on holsters (many more options now), cleaning supplies and other miscellany. Nice work! Everyone was helpful and attentive while I was there, even though I was just kicking the tires on the guns, and I left thinking how much I enjoy having a shop like that in the area.

Posted from my car phone.

Last edited:
I have no complaints about this place. I was trying on a belt and said to the woman helping me that I want to see how it fitted with my holster and was surprised at what she said to me she said buy the belt go home and see how you like it if you like it then you are all set if not bring it back and I will give you a full refund as long as you have the tags that come with it even at walmart I have had trouble with trying to return a belt stores usually don't let you return them. She was all so very help full and nice will shop their again but I don't mind getting carded it happens in MA any way so who cares .

I believe you are required to have a Ma. LTC in order to receive a NH non-resident license so you would think that would meet the requirement.
You would think they would not want to emulate Ma. and their policies but I guess they must feel they have to.

While I think it is lame that they "over-comply" at SO, the first two forms of ID you showed were not what they require. All they are legally required to do is make sure you are of age to purchase Ammo. They have made a store policy that says that they require that you are legal in your home state to possess ammunition. NH non-resident pistol/revolver license does not meet that requirement, neither does your MA DL. They should have explained this to you at the register, and on their FB page instead of deleting your comment.

Before I get attacked, please know, I do not agree with their policy. I own property in a free state, so owning post ban magazines, so long as they stay out of PRM, is completely legal. They would rather turn away that business than risk any encounter with the MA AG. This is how they explained it to me. The owner has addressed this in other threads, and maybe even earlier in this one.

If I had all that money invested in a new venture, I cannot say I wouldn't be a little cautious myself. Be happy that the owner of SO didn't purchase Rileys. That was his original intent. That would have changed the policy down the road.

MA resident out shopping.

Pharmacy

Clerk:May I see a form of ID....
LTC dude hands over LTC.
Clerk:Sorry I can't accept this,do you have a DL?
LTC dude gets offended his LTC Badge of Honor is unacceptable....Runs to NES to vent frustration!

NH gun store.
Clerk:May I see your ID?
LTC dude hands over DL.
Clerk:I need to see your LTC.
LTC dude gets offended he was asked for his LTC like it was "papers please"....runs to NES to vent frustration!

+1 lol

I've bought a couple pairs of 5.11 pants (in addition to lots if ammo) there and the women who helped me was awesome, knew a lot about the clothing line and was awesome.

I just got back, They have about a dozen of the old Chinese SKSs for sale for $239. get them while you can! the distributors are getting $289 each plus shipping (if you buy 10 [rolleyes]) . I don't know where Jim is getting them but the price is right.

he also has Chinese Mosin carbines and 91/30s for about $149 each (plus or minus $10, I cant remember). I am pretty sure the 91/30s are $149.

lots of ARs, AKs I didn't see any milsurp ammo

Stopped in today after dropping the wife off at the airport.

"You guys have any 22LR?"

"No, sorry."

"How about 9mm?"

"out of that too, sorry."

"How about a Ruger 10/22 breakdown?"

"No but we have lots of them on order."

"Remington 870?"

"Haven't seen those in a long time, but we get Mossberg 500's in once in a while."

Headed upstairs and took a number because the mags are behind the counter. Fifteen minutes later...

"You guys have any 10 round mags for a Ruger SR9C?"

"No 10's, sorry. Lots of 17's though..."

*sigh*

Can we please elect a Republican next time?

Stopped in today after dropping the wife off at the airport.

"You guys have any 22LR?"

"No, sorry."

"How about 9mm?"

"out of that too, sorry."

"How about a Ruger 10/22 breakdown?"

"No but we have lots of them on order."

"Remington 870?"

"Haven't seen those in a long time, but we get Mossberg 500's in once in a while."

Headed upstairs and took a number because the mags are behind the counter. Fifteen minutes later...

"You guys have any 10 round mags for a Ruger SR9C?"

"No 10's, sorry. Lots of 17's though..."

*sigh*

Can we please elect a Republican next time?

[laugh2]
Sorry but I had to copy and paste that to my facebok! Too funny!

I believe you are required to have a Ma. LTC in order to receive a NH non-resident license so you would think that would meet the requirement..
Not exactly true. You need ANY CCW permit from another state.
So how I did it was applied for MA LTC A, ME Non Res, and Utah Non Res all at the same time. ME came in first, so I sent in my NH application using ME Non Res CCW. NH came in second. Utah, and MA arrived on the same day.

So just because you have a NH pistol and revolver license, does not mean you are legal in your home state.

They have made a store policy that says that they require that you are legal in your home state to possess ammunition.
Is this just a Massachusetts resident thing due to our crazy nanny AG? Or does it apply to residents of other states as well? Will a CT resident now have to show his or her new ammo permission card? Would a Rhode Islander be refused due to likely travel home through a restricted state?

You mention ammo and post-ban magazines as being refused regardless of where they would be kept or used. Does this store policy apply to other parts and accessories that could potentially be illegal within the customer's state of residence? How far does this SO liability nonsense go?

Back
Top Bottom