Shooters Outpost - Hooksett, NH

Is this just a Massachusetts resident thing due to our crazy nanny AG? Or does it apply to residents of other states as well? Will a CT resident now have to show his or her new ammo permission card? Would a Rhode Islander be refused due to likely travel home through a restricted state?

You mention ammo and post-ban magazines as being refused regardless of where they would be kept or used. Does this store policy apply to other parts and accessories that could potentially be illegal within the customer's state of residence? How far does this SO liability nonsense go?

I assume they require whatever identifaction that satisfies you are legal to possess whatever you purchase through them in your state of residency. NH,ME,VT dls, ma ltc, fid, and whatever abortion ct has come up with.

As for driving through the PRM, you "should" be protected by FOPA, but I cantbspeak for SO on that.

I assume they require whatever identification that satisfies you are legal to possess whatever you purchase through them in your state of residency. NH,ME,VT dls, ma ltc, fid, and whatever abortion ct has come up with.

As for driving through the PRM, you "should" be protected by FOPA, but I cant speak for SO on that.
Thanks for the reply. I'm really just trying to figure out if this is pure Marcia fear or part of a broader liability containment strategy, perhaps imposed by their insurance underwriter. I wouldn't be so offended by it if I knew that folks from other states were being treated equally badly.

As for FOPA, my understanding is that it would protect an ammo buyer passing through if it were legal for him to buy it where he bought it and legal for him to possess it in his destination state... but how would SO know for sure his destination state? That was my point, albeit poorly stated.

Anyway, many other good options still available up in tax-free New Hampshire. Guess I'll remain a Riley's and Collectable kind of guy.

Thanks for the reply. I'm really just trying to figure out if this is pure Marcia fear or part of a broader liability containment strategy, perhaps imposed by their insurance underwriter. I wouldn't be so offended by it if I knew that folks from other states were being treated equally badly.

As for FOPA, my understanding is that it would protect an ammo buyer passing through if it were legal for him to buy it where he bought it and legal for him to possess it in his destination state... but how would SO know for sure his destination state? That was my point, albeit poorly stated.

Anyway, many other good options still available up in tax-free New Hampshire. Guess I'll remain a Riley's and Collectable kind of guy.

I'm a NH resident. I get carded. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Was in there yesterday. Stopped by on the way home from the camp with my daughter and picked up a couple boxes of Blazer Brass .40 for $16.99. I'm pretty happy with that price. I make it a point to stop there when I'm on my way home from camp every time, and buy at least 2 boxes of each cal that I have.

I'm a NH resident. I get carded. Doesn't bother me in the least.
If, in fact, you are retired (as I am) then it should be reasonably obvious that you are over 18 or 21 years of age. It is certainly apparent in my case.

Then it sounds like you are being carded just to make sure you are not one of Marcia's subjects. I'd be proud to be carded to show that I were not one of Marcia's subjects too! [grin] Too bad for me, I am. [hmmm]

If, in fact, you are retired (as I am) then it should be reasonably obvious that you are over 18 or 21 years of age. It is certainly apparent in my case.

Then it sounds like you are being carded just to make sure you are not one of Marcia's subjects. I'd be proud to be carded to show that I were not one of Marcia's subjects too! [grin] Too bad for me, I am. [hmmm]
Yup, retired from the CG, but still too young to be retired (41), and I aged well, so when I am clean shaven, I usually get carded for beer too. I'm sure it is a residency issue, I'm sure that Marcia has people going and trying to buy in NH once in a while, and I'm sure Jim is trying to do business without getting on anyone's list (above and beyond where he might be now)

Yup, retired from the CG, but still too young to be retired (41), and I aged well, so when I am clean shaven, I usually get carded for beer too. I'm sure it is a residency issue, I'm sure that Marcia has people going and trying to buy in NH once in a while, and I'm sure Jim is trying to do business without getting on anyone's list (above and beyond where he might be now)
41? Heck, I still have ammo I bought that's older than you. [thinking] So maybe you are being carded for age alone after all? [laugh]

Bottom line is simple. The ID checking for Marcia's M*******s bothers some folks and doesn't bother others. Wouldn't bother me a bit if I lived in NH because I'd be proud not to be a M*******. But it does bother me as a disgruntled MA resident and it's certainly not going to get any better if Marcia manages to become Governor Marcia. The more Marcia can exert her evil influence on NH shops now, the worse it's going to get for us in the future... I guarantee it. So I support the NH shops that tell Marcia where to go.

I had a poor experience here today, and I can clarify on the ID issue.

First, my experience, not overwhelming by any means. I bought one of those lighters, the re-fillable AK/AR/M14 lighters. Brought it home, lit a small fire with it at the camp (Had it on for about 20-30 seconds MAX) and it wouldn't ignite again. The cage around the igniter is plastic, and it melted, so it will no longer ignite. I confirmed it still had lighter fluid, it was $16 of junk. I brought it back (Only like 3 days after I bought it) and the same clerk I bought it from was there. They refused to do a refund/exchange. They said they needed proof I bought it from them, and I didn't keep the reciept 'kuz it's under $100. Even though the cashier recognized me, it's new, and I've done a lot of business with them. Just an FYI

Second, the ID issue is all about identifying MA residents (At which point they want to see an LTC/FID). With firearms, this is obvious. With ammo and accessories, not so much. NH follows the federal age-restriction on ammo, so residency is not needed, just proof of age. If someone were to buy ammo there, and bring it back, it's up to that person to be in accordance with the law (Which I believe, is ONLY to pay MA tax on the items). I don't think there's any regulation of any kind that a person from MA needs to present his LTC for ammo in NH.

I feel your pain with the assault lighter. Glad I passed on those at the register...

The ID thing gets commented on regularly and Shootas owner Jim even posted a long response I cannot remember most of but this one point that stuck with me:

"...and sell to all those nice people in Lawrence/Lowell etc.. that can't legally own a stick."

From my FB feed:

WEEKEND BLOWOUT SALE at our sister store Shooters Outpost in Hooksett NH.

DEALS THAT WILL PROBABLY NEVER BE SEEN AGAIN!

1. Windham Weaponry (HBC) Heavy Barrel AR-5.56/.223 Carbine with a free 30 round Magpul "P" Mag. $809.99 MSRP $1110.95

2. Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 MOE Flat Dark Earth .22LR
SKU# 811035 with free 25 round standard factory mag. $509.99 MSRP $636.50.

3. Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport (5.56) SKU#811036 $599.99 MSRP $839.00

4. Smith & Wesson M&P - Sight Ready Carbine (5.56)
SKU# 811013 Mass Compliant - $799.99 MSRP $1039.00

5. Keltec KSG - Black $989.99 - limited quantities, some restrictions apply.

Face to face sales only. No holds or layaways on any of these items. ONLY while in store supplies last!!!

Stopped by there today on my way home from alternate location #2. They still had a good amount of blazer 9mm for 13.99, 4 box limit.

Place was mobbed

.223 50 round Fiocce was 21.99

I believe Riley's has the S&W 15-22 for $425 and get a brick of ammo with it too.

I picked up the Beretta ARX 160 yesterday at Riley's and going shooting tomorrow.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I believe Riley's has the S&W 15-22 for $425 and get a brick of ammo with it too.

I picked up the Beretta ARX 160 yesterday at Riley's and going shooting tomorrow.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

They also charged me a transfer fee for a stripped upper.

This is the SO thread not the Riley's thread.

je2ygy4e.jpg

Right now

I used to enjoy taking a ride up and hitting Shooters then Reilly's....but from now on I'll be skipping shooters. It's not that Reilly's has more ammo, cheaper (they did) but Reilly's has friendly KNOWLEDGEABLE staff. I'm not butthurt that Shooters wouldn't sell a Ruger 10/22 hi-cap mag to a Mass resident (wasn't me) but they cited made up LAWS not just store policy. That's great, Riley's had the same mags, cheaper plus glock mags in-stock, plus 9mm for $4 cheaper a box, plus .22lr in stock. They guy ringing it up couldn't have been friendlier, no MA ID checks.

If you like *extra* stringent rules, full retail brand new stock, and full price 5.11 gear, by all means continue to shop there. I had high hopes when they opened, but repeated visits have left me disappointed. Ill save the trip.

I used to enjoy taking a ride up and hitting Shooters then Reilly's....but from now on I'll be skipping shooters. It's not that Reilly's has more ammo, cheaper (they did) but Reilly's has friendly KNOWLEDGEABLE staff. I'm not butthurt that Shooters wouldn't sell a Ruger 10/22 hi-cap mag to a Mass resident (wasn't me) but they cited made up LAWS not just store policy. That's great, Riley's had the same mags, cheaper plus glock mags in-stock, plus 9mm for $4 cheaper a box, plus .22lr in stock. They guy ringing it up couldn't have been friendlier, no MA ID checks.

If you like *extra* stringent rules, full retail brand new stock, and full price 5.11 gear, by all means continue to shop there. I had high hopes when they opened, but repeated visits have left me disappointed. Ill save the trip.
Yep, that about sums it up. Super-nice store, loads of nice toys, cool gear... but unfriendly policies and always those damned MA ID checks for Marsha. [thinking]

Riley's wins hands down.

+1 for Riley's!

I do remember a time, back before Shooters Outpost's existence, when I avoided Riley's because once they realized I was from Mass they would then treat me like crap. But no more - now they're nice as pie :) so all is good.

+1 for Riley's!

I do remember a time, back before Shooters Outpost's existence, when I avoided Riley's because once they realized I was from Mass they would then treat me like crap. But no more - now they're nice as pie :) so all is good.
Except when they charge you a transfer fee for a stripped upper......

I still go to both every trip up to Hooksett. I've never had any trouble at Outpost, but I've never tried to get a 30-rd mag there. While in general I think Riley's has the better deals on most things, some stuff Shooter's Outpost is cheaper on. Certain calibers of ammo (.44 mag especially), and reloading supplies are generally cheaper at Shooter's Outpost.

I still go to both every trip up to Hooksett. I've never had any trouble at Outpost, but I've never tried to get a 30-rd mag there. While in general I think Riley's has the better deals on most things, some stuff Shooter's Outpost is cheaper on. Certain calibers of ammo (.44 mag especially), and reloading supplies are generally cheaper at Shooter's Outpost.

Every time I/we make the gun store circuit, both Shooter's and Riley's are hit. Umlaut too, if they/he's open that day. I've stopped going to Collectable these days, and don't go to Merrimack Firearms (neither have anything I want). Acme has made it onto the destination list though due to the the people there (Adam and Nicole). Plus it's nice to be greeted by their dog. [laugh]

Personally, we did get asked for DL's when we bought ammo last trip to SO. But, it was to confirm state of residence. IMO, it's so that they don't get into trouble for selling something to a MA resident that they shouldn't. At least they just look at it, unlike Dick's... I've also had better experiences, in general, at SO than Riley's. Especially at the reloading counters. Access to the ammo shelves at SO is a LOT better than Riley's. Get more than a couple of people looking at the 5.56 section at Riley's and you're waiting for your turn. Not the case at SO. From what I've also seen, prices on the things I care about are close enough between them to not really matter.

Since when has Riley's had friendly salespeople. I waited 30 minutes one day while one of their friendly salespeople chatted with friend "The customer" about non gun related things, While I waited at the counter with several hundred dollar bills in my hand trying to buy a AR upper assembly. This was before Shooter's Outpost opened. Since shooter's open, I haven't found a need to drive an extra mile or two up the straight to be abused my the morons at Rileys. But I rarely go to shooters, because I can most of my stuff in Merrimack at Collectable Arms and Ammo.

I've never considered service at Reilly's "friendly" but the guy we had today was whistling as he bagged up our goodies, I thought he was going to offer to carry them to the car.

As for shooters selling a Massachusetts resident something they "shouldn't" have....a post-ban hi-cap mag is indeed illegal for a MA resident to POSSESS IN Massachusetts. Not NH, so keep your policies, and lose my business.

Back
Top Bottom