Shooters Outpost going into Amherst NH (old Sportsmans Trading) Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be nice having them close by. I bought a shiny new to me P238 in Feb. The tag said it came with 2 holsters but they weren't in the box and I thought I must have confused it with another one I was looking at. They called me today and they have the holsters and when I asked they agreed to mail them to me. I appreciate not having to make that drive since I wouldn't have time to get up there for a few weeks. Anyone can make a mistake so I'm not mad they missed them. I appreciate the effort to make it right. They could have just swept it under the rug since it's been 2 months.

I'm happy to have them so nearby too, but for me it's in Hooksett. Your description sounds like better service than I've gotten at any other gun store.

From what I've personally experienced, Shooter's Outpost is a quality operation, and I'm sure the Amherst store will also be very well-run (although I doubt it will have the awesome firearms museum Hooksett has—or a cafe).

Service and pricing should be the same, though, and they happened to be the store that had the best prices on S&W 642 no-lock J-Frames that I posted about last month:
Looking for S&W 642 "No-Lock" .38 Special +P revolver?

Last edited:
I can see by reading this thread that in such a case, there are some NES members that would not lend a hand in supporting the new gun store.

We’re all shaped by our experiences. You’ve had a good experience at SO, so I’m sure you will “lend a hand in supporting the new gun store.”

I (actually my daughter) had a very bad experience with SO, so while I support the idea of a gun store, I won’t be “lending a hand” by doing business there.

Doesn’t make me bad or you good. We all make our decisions on our situations.

We’re all shaped by our experiences. You’ve had a good experience at SO, so I’m sure you will “lend a hand in supporting the new gun store.”

I (actually my daughter) had a very bad experience with SO, so while I support the idea of a gun store, I won’t be “lending a hand” by doing business there.

Doesn’t make me bad or you good. We all make our decisions on our situations.
Scott, I’d like if you would call me to discuss whatever happened in regards to you and your daughter at my store. I usually can fix any wrong that we’ve done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a very good conversation with Jim today regarding my daughter's experience, referenced above. He listened with an open mind (seeing as how neither he nor I were there), and seemed generally dismayed at what transpired. I am convinced after our conversation that the incident was an aberration, not endemic to the culture, and highly unlikely to occur again. I look forward to visiting his new store in Amherst when it opens.

I had a very good conversation with Jim today regarding my daughter's experience, referenced above. He listened with an open mind (seeing as how neither he nor I were there), and seemed generally dismayed at what transpired. I am convinced after our conversation that the incident was an aberration, not endemic to the culture, and highly unlikely to occur again. I look forward to visiting his new store in Amherst when it opens.

Jim is a super nice guy and on one hand I try to understand their policies and why they do it, and I'm sure some of it is motivated by the lawyers and insurance companies....

On the other hand it makes it a miserable place to do business so.......

Jim is a super nice guy and on one hand I try to understand their policies and why they do it, and I'm sure some of it is motivated by the lawyers and insurance companies....

On the other hand it makes it a miserable place to do business so.......
A miserable place because you're asked for an ID? I wish that was the biggest thing in my life to worry about!

A miserable place because you're asked for an ID? I wish that was the biggest thing in my life to worry about!
But it's not that simple, you are asking for the ID (among other things) to determine if the buyer is a Mass resident. If they are, you then enforce Mass rules on them in the State of New Hampshire. Can a Mass resident without LTC buy ammo in your store? Would it be illegal if they did?

But it's not that simple, you are asking for the ID (among other things) to determine if the buyer is a Mass resident. If they are, you then enforce Mass rules on them in the State of New Hampshire. Can a Mass resident without LTC buy ammo in your store? Would it be illegal if they did?
Can a NH resident buy ammo at a mass gun store??

Can’t wait till they open!

No, it's against Mass state law in that case, but not the other way around. Do you support more restrictive gun laws in NH?
Well that’s gay. And of course not. But I do support a business owners right to do whatever the F he wants to do in regards to his business (as long as his pants stay on, I do draw the line somewhere).

If he sucked at running a business I doubt he’d be in the process of opening a second location.....

Well that’s gay. And of course not.
I'm having trouble understanding your reasoning. Are you saying that because MA restricts non-LTC holders and out of staters from buying ammo, that NH should do the same?

Or that MA should allow NH residents to buy ammo? I agree with that idea, but the reality is they don't. The answer is not to make NH more sucky, it's to fix MA.

What's gay is Shooters acting as the NH enforcement agents for the Mass Attorney General. I stipulate that they have every right to set their store policies as they want. But by the same token, I can point out how wrong that is.

If only that were my experiences there.

Mags are hidden so far back behind the counters that you cant even see what shooters has in stock

Same with small parts/anything AR related

ID for ammo

ID for mags

Anything that might have come from behind the counter that you may be interested in is taken downstairs FOR you to be held behind the counter....dog forbid you're permitted to hold onto scary things like rail mounts to ponder while you shop.

From a customers perspective its not only not a pleasant experience but its a very frustrating one in no small part because you cant see whats squirreled away on carded packaging or shoved in boxes behind the wall/counter.

Some of the stuff is right up there with the young employees at market basket that you see carding a 70 year old woman who's trying to buy a box of wine along with her groceries

Your shop

Your rules

The more unpleasant an establishment makes it for their potential customers the more customers they alienate or push to consider going elsewhere or ordering online before coming to your shop.

EDIT: The one that really made me laugh was having to sign the paper copy of a reciept AND electronically signing the pad.......

Your shop

Your rules

Just dont be surprised that shooters is a last stop instead of go to/first place people go because of the hurdles/hassles that other shops dont force their customers to go through

Last edited:
I'm having trouble understanding your reasoning. Are you saying that because MA restricts non-LTC holders and out of staters from buying ammo, that NH should do the same?

Or that MA should allow NH residents to buy ammo? I agree with that idea, but the reality is they don't. The answer is not to make NH more sucky, it's to fix MA.
I made no such statement. NH needs to remove more laws, not make more. We continue to move in that direction. I’m sorry that your state has such gay, unconstitutional, evil rules. Please fix.

I agree with your last statement that MA needs to be fixed. You guys need to elect like ten Donald’s to get things straightened out!!

Have you ever heard that "you can't see the forest through the trees?" It's not the people that have the LTC from your state, it's the ones that don't! It's fact that the non LTC Gangbangers from your state know they can't obtain ammunition there. So where do you think they go? At a murder trial in Boston years ago, it was made quite clear from the feds that the "dark side" of Mass come to NH & CT to obtain the ammunition that's hosing down your streets. Being in that courtroom on the side of the prosecution & having the same belittle dealers from NH as I was sitting there was not cool. Your laws (suck) as you well know. Not selling to the non LTC person helps protect your rights from the left when crime with the use of firearms happens. I'm friends with the guy that owned Riverview Sales in Ct.. Dave is the one that sold the Bushmaster and Sig (A year before) Adam L Killed half the school. Dave was raided by ATF, had a full compliance audit, and was forced out of business over mistakes that ATF can find at any FFL location. Dave lost his ability to make a living, as well as all of his employees were out of work. That's real life my friend. I have millions invested here, 30 employees and family members to feed too. If you want me to single out (Profile) the gangbangers only, another thread would start soon. There's more to it than the brief reasoning above, and would gladly talk with anyone in person that would like to come in and sit down. Can you only imagine if there was a school shooting in your state with the perpetrator having a receipt for 20 P Mags and a case of 9mm in the trunk with "your" name on it? In the case of anyone that's licensed by the feds "It's game over" I've sent money to your state to support pro 2A Candidates because I do care what the bastards do to you. In my case, it's my rights, my life savings, and many jobs lost.

Some of the stuff is right up there with the young employees at market basket that you see carding a 70 year old woman who's trying to buy a box of wine along with her groceries
I've heard of worse.

In the early 80's, The Bride bought some firewater at
the Hudson, Mass. IGA, and had this interchange with the cashier:

Cashier: Press this button <pointing to the cash register>.
The Bride: Wut?
C: Press this button.
TB: Wut?
C: Press this button.
TB: <Leans over, presses the button>.
<Rest of transaction is vanilla>.​

Turns out the cashier was under age
and she couldn't sell alcohol.
So The Bride had to hit the Enter key.
LOL.
=====
ETA: More on Hudson, MA Liquor Control.

Have you ever heard that "you can't see the forest through the trees?" It's not the people that have the LTC from your state, it's the ones that don't! It's fact that the non LTC Gangbangers from your state know they can't obtain ammunition there. So where do you think they go? At a murder trial in Boston years ago, it was made quite clear from the feds that the "dark side" of Mass come to NH & CT to obtain the ammunition that's hosing down your streets. Being in that courtroom on the side of the prosecution & having the same belittle dealers from NH as I was sitting there was not cool. Your laws (suck) as you well know. Not selling to the non LTC person helps protect your rights from the left when crime with the use of firearms happens. I'm friends with the guy that owned Riverview Sales in Ct.. Dave is the one that sold the Bushmaster and Sig (A year before) Adam L Killed half the school. Dave was raided by ATF, had a full compliance audit, and was forced out of business over mistakes that ATF can find at any FFL location. Dave lost his ability to make a living, as well as all of his employees were out of work. That's real life my friend. I have millions invested here, 30 employees and family members to feed too. If you want me to single out (Profile) the gangbangers only, another thread would start soon. There's more to it than the brief reasoning above, and would gladly talk with anyone in person that would like to come in and sit down. Can you only imagine if there was a school shooting in your state with the perpetrator having a receipt for 20 P Mags and a case of 9mm in the trunk with "your" name on it? In the case of anyone that's licensed by the feds "It's game over" I've sent money to your state to support pro 2A Candidates because I do care what the bastards do to you. In my case, it's my rights, my life savings, and many jobs lost.

Help me understand how this solves any problem by asking people for ID for things that are in no way regulated by law for adults in NH?

NH customers dont need to produce a PRL but DO need to produce an ID for mags and ammo........what exactly does this establish other than age that provides any meaningful protection from law/regulatory agencies in case someone decided to commit some criminal act?

Mass customers have to produce an LTC for mags and ammo?.....same as above.....its not going to be anything but a speed bump in a legal case where some douche decided to commit a crime.

What should we expect next? Shooters to require the NH Onion Skin and NH Photo ID to purchase ammo and mags?

I respect the hell out of your investment and commitment but it seems to go over board and never have I seen anything that is posted in the store that states how shooters protects the information it requires its customers to provide from being hacked/shared/etc......

Have you ever heard that ...
I can appreciate your position, Jim, and I think it's horrible that you can be put in a position like that.

As far as the gang-banger argument, you will sell ammo to any other state's residents, including potential criminals from places like Manchester or Burlington, so I don't know why MA criminals are "special". And I don't know what Adam Lanza's crimes have to do with this discussion, he didn't buy any guns, they were all bought legally by his mother.

I'm definitely in the minority here on NES with my opinion, since most here have LTCs and don't really care about the implications of your policy. I think MA gun owners (of which I''m not one by the way) should be incensed about their crazy laws. The fact that you help enforce them is not a positive in my mind.

Help me understand how this solves any problem by asking people for ID for things that are in no way regulated by law for adults in NH?

NH customers dont need to produce a PRL but DO need to produce an ID for mags and ammo........what exactly does this establish other than age that provides any meaningful protection from law/regulatory agencies in case someone decided to commit some criminal act?

Mass customers have to produce an LTC for mags and ammo?.....same as above.....its not going to be anything but a speed bump in a legal case where some douche decided to commit a crime.

What should we expect next? Shooters to require the NH Onion Skin and NH Photo ID to purchase ammo and mags?

I respect the hell out of your investment and commitment but it seems to go over board and never have I seen anything that is posted in the store that states how shooters protects the information it requires its customers to provide from being hacked/shared/etc......
I'm not getting into all of the other dynamics. I offered anyone that would like to hear more to come sit down with me.

I can appreciate your position, Jim, and I think it's horrible that you can be put in a position like that.

As far as the gang-banger argument, you will sell ammo to any other state's residents, including potential criminals from places like Manchester or Burlington, so I don't know why MA criminals are "special". And I don't know what Adam Lanza's crimes have to do with this discussion, he didn't buy any guns, they were all bought legally by his mother.

I'm definitely in the minority here on NES with my opinion, since most here have LTCs and don't really care about the implications of your policy. I think MA gun owners (of which I''m not one by the way) should be incensed about their crazy laws. The fact that you help enforce them is not a positive in my mind.
Exactly - It didn't need to make sense. Lanza's mother legally purchased them, Riverview sales was put out of business! Think about that

Exactly - It didn't need to make sense. Lanza's mother legally purchased them, Riverview sales was put out of business! Think about that

I think its horrible the hoops/scrutiny the industry is under but Riverview was put out of business due to failure to comply with federal laws regarding sales of firearms.

I havent seen anyone gripe about having to comply with federal legislation regardless of whether or not its utter bullshit or not and as per your own characterization of what happened at Riverview it could happen at ANY shop and sadly enough does

Dave was raided by ATF, had a full compliance audit, and was forced out of business over mistakes that ATF can find at any FFL location.

You’re wrong. Riverview was put out of business by having a few compliance issues. They had no more than smaller dealers have even with the volume he did. It was a witch hunt! If it were sold at Hoffman’s, Me, or any other place, they’d be gone now. That’s how reality works

As far as the gang-banger argument, you will sell ammo to any other state's residents, including potential criminals from places like Manchester or Burlington, so I don't know why MA criminals are "special".
Can you only imagine if there was a school shooting in your state with the perpetrator having a receipt for 20 P Mags and a case of 9mm in the trunk with "your" name on it? In the case of anyone that's licensed by the feds "It's game over".
I haven't been to SO in a couple years but I've spent a good chunk of change on reloading components and ammo over the years. But I will continue to shop there when I'm in the area - especially the new museum I want to check out.

Having said that, n1bsbri brings up a good point. You could have gangbangers from Manchester purchasing ammo and mags (and have a SO recepit...) for their fellow gangbangers in MA and you would never know. I guess asking for LTC for MA residents just makes it slightly harder for MA gangbangers to buy ammo/mags but it's far from full-proof.

^ This. I would love a well-stocked Reloading Section, just over the Border. I like and patronize Shooter's Outpost.
That; and they have the cleanest restrooms of any Gun Shop in the area. Thanks Jim!
~Enbloc

Nothing but good experiences at Shooters.

I'm sure any rules they have about selling to MA residents are all about avoiding potentially expensive issues. The man wants to stay in business, you can't fault him for that. And I'm sure the decision involved a lawyer.

If you can't understand that he needs to protect his business, then you should open your own gun shop in NH and see what your lawyer tells you to do. Probably involves his insurance carrier as well.

Nothing but good experiences at Shooters.

I'm sure any rules they have about selling to MA residents are all about avoiding potentially expensive issues. The man wants to stay in business, you can't fault him for that. And I'm sure the decision involved a lawyer.

If you can't understand that he needs to protect his business, then you should open your own gun shop in NH and see what your lawyer tells you to do. Probably involves his insurance carrier as well.

It's a policy likely based on calculated risks. By the numbers 95% of all bad/violent shitbags pretty much come from/live in MA and CT. (there's absolutely no comparison between residents of these two states vs any other state in new england in terms of violent human garbage as a % of the population. ) Putting/profiling via what amounts to a large-meshed shit filter against those two state demographics (straining out the unwashed, which are going to again, contain a higher concentration of bad people) for a store of his size (the largest, or one of the largest, by volume) is likely cheap insurance vs the alternative. (the cost of all the downstream shit of one "bad" sale) . Also because of the size of SO as an entity, the risk profile he has in the marketplace is exponentially greater, due his volume, number of customers through the doors, etc. Yes, the odds of something bad are still very, very low, but his policies likely hedge against that and the cost/benefit is such that he's determined it works out for him. I've had similar policies in my business in terms of not doing certain things that present too much risk to
my business or have a potential to go badly without drastically increasing my profit. (like for example, I don't service consumer grade laptops other than data recovery, as this usually ends in despair for the user or can cost me more than its worth. ) The only part I partially disagree on is the start your own gun shop thing, the average person that starts their own shop will never see this risk profile that Jim sees. "Joe smoe on the corner FFL" has exponentially less sales, etc, so on and so forth. The needs of smaller shops in terms of risk mitigation are VASTLY different from a larger shop. It's the difference between being virtually unknown to having a HUGE target on your back.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom