• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping ammo to a Mass FFL

Reptile

NES Member
Sometimes I find good deals on ammo.
Would a FFL in Mass be able to accept a shipment?
If so, what would proper compensation be for his efforts?

But don't hold your breath...

I may or may not know of at least 2 FFLs (non-inventory types) who have said they'd be willing to do exactly what the OP is asking about, as well as making orders for just about anything else out-of-state companies might be unwilling to ship to a mere subject.

ETA: the only way to really find out is to blow up some phones.

Last edited:
Or find a friend out of state. Have a buddy that lives in another state that always takes some ammo orders for me when hes ordering one for himself.

The first thing you should do is call the company and ask if they'll ship to Ma. Some won't ship to Ma, even to a dealer or gunshop.

Call one up and ask.

But don't hold your breath...

The first thing you should do is call the company and ask if they'll ship to Ma. Some won't ship to Ma, even to a dealer or gunshop.

This folks have hit it right on the head. There are many distributors that won't ship (Anything that can go on a firearm or ammo. Especially handguns.) even to a MA FFL dealer. To name a few, Aim surplus, CDNN, Cheaper Than Dirt, Bass Pro, Midway, Brownells, Zanders, etc. You may thank the AG's office for this.

This folks have hit it right on the head. There are many distributors that won't ship (Anything that can go on a firearm or ammo. Especially handguns.) even to a MA FFL dealer. To name a few, Aim surplus, CDNN, Cheaper Than Dirt, Bass Pro, Midway, Brownells, Zanders, etc. You may thank the AG's office for this.

All the smaller FFLs that have to deal with this should band together and fight this. I can understand those companies being afraid to ship to regular residents, but refusing to ship to FFLs is just ignorant. I know it's not worth taking legal action, but maybe banding together and contacting the AG along with the companies would do something to help the situation.

I think that someone else "shares" the thanks here and prodded the AG to do the nasty! That is according to a well-respected member of this forum (who's been absent lately, but will be at the MFG/NES shoot selling ammo).

All the smaller FFLs that have to deal with this should band together and fight this. I can understand those companies being afraid to ship to regular residents, but refusing to ship to FFLs is just ignorant. I know it's not worth taking legal action, but maybe banding together and contacting the AG along with the companies would do something to help the situation.

Not likely due to "personalities" that inhabit the AG's office, EOPS, State House. Also, you have to understand the history of this AG activity to know that a prominent DEALER is alleged to have caused the situation to begin with.

They won't. They just as soon be run over and intimidated. In Ma. no one fights the laws. They just lay down and accept them. Maybe it's time the dealers and residents take these stupid laws to court or better yet put together an organization that will.

They won't. They just as soon be run over and intimidated. In Ma. no one fights the laws. They just lay down and accept them. Maybe it's time the dealers and residents take these stupid laws to court or better yet put together an organization that will.

You mean an organization like GOAL? ;)

I emailed Jim Wallace about this and never got a response. I'm about to email him back and ask why he isn't responding to a paid member with a valid question.

When shipping ammo to friends out of state, can they bring it into MA for me (they don't have a MA permit) or do I need to go to their house and get it?

When shipping ammo to friends out of state, can they bring it into MA for me (they don't have a MA permit) or do I need to go to their house and get it?

You need to go to their place to pick it up. It is illegal to posses ammo or ammo components in MA without a permit.

You mean an organization like GOAL? ;)

I emailed Jim Wallace about this and never got a response. I'm about to email him back and ask why he isn't responding to a paid member with a valid question.

That's like asking the NRA for help. Good luck on that!

That's like asking the NRA for help. Good luck on that!

I've received emails back from the NRA with answers very quickly in the past. Even Cam Edwards responds to goofy emails I've sent him about news items. I sent my email to Jim over a month ago and didn't even get a canned response. I just emailed him back and said I'd appreciate an answer. If he still fails to respond I'm going to call him personally and give him some shit.

I've received emails back from the NRA with answers very quickly in the past. Even Cam Edwards responds to goofy emails I've sent him about news items. I sent my email to Jim over a month ago and didn't even get a canned response. I just emailed him back and said I'd appreciate an answer. If he still fails to respond I'm going to call him personally and give him some shit.

Do you really think Jim is just sitting there with a thumb up his ass? Really? That man has done more for gun owners in MA in the past decade than everyone before him combined. He has been able to form alliances at the state house. He has been able to keep new regulation at bay by working with democrats and republicans alike. Since 1998 not one truly horrible piece of legislation has come through the state house. It hasn't been all aces, but it hasn't been a dead mans hand either.

Now, about the ammo. You realize rome wasn't built in a day, no? For an org to handle everyone's pet peeves in one shot, they would need a staff of about 30 with about a half of them lawyers. Comm2A is three people working for free. So as a result, cheaper ammo is going to have to wait behind issues like criminal charges for simply possessing a firearm at the ready in an empty home where the owner was in the same room as the gun. Yeah, we have one of those.

People are losing their rights every day in this state or having their rights denied at will in this state. Those come first. We need to prioritize. You will get a lawsuit to fight for cheap ammo one day. I promise. But this stuff doesn't happen overnight. You need to build up case law and each time you build up something new.

I've received great help from the NRA competitions division (running a match in NY state that needed NRA recognition for legal reasons, but was not a typical NRA style match).

I requested NRA assistance on the ammo issue and was blown off with a statement that they have decided not to provide any support for such a case and I am encouraged to retain counsel on my own if I wish to pursue the matter.

While it's nice to have ammo shipped directly to your house, there are some deals to be had at places that will not ship to MA. In that case, as others have suggested, have it shipped to a pal in NH or CT. There are some FFL's that will accept shipments of ammo gratis if you are a good customer....In the rare instances I've done this, I always buy something when I go pick up my ammo.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

I didn't think we weren't supposed to mention dealers who won't ship to MA, because we didn't want the AG to not know who wasn't shipping. Or, something like that.

Do you really think Jim is just sitting there with a thumb up his ass? Really? That man has done more for gun owners in MA in the past decade than everyone before him combined. He has been able to form alliances at the state house. He has been able to keep new regulation at bay by working with democrats and republicans alike. Since 1998 not one truly horrible piece of legislation has come through the state house. It hasn't been all aces, but it hasn't been a dead mans hand either.

Now, about the ammo. You realize rome wasn't built in a day, no? For an org to handle everyone's pet peeves in one shot, they would need a staff of about 30 with about a half of them lawyers. Comm2A is three people working for free. So as a result, cheaper ammo is going to have to wait behind issues like criminal charges for simply possessing a firearm at the ready in an empty home where the owner was in the same room as the gun. Yeah, we have one of those.

People are losing their rights every day in this state or having their rights denied at will in this state. Those come first. We need to prioritize. You will get a lawsuit to fight for cheap ammo one day. I promise. But this stuff doesn't happen overnight. You need to build up case law and each time you build up something new.

Really? Did I even come remotely close to saying that? What is the deal with certain people on this forum flying off the handle anytime someone says anything remotely negative about a person they like? Get over it, dude! First of all, I never said Jim sits on his ass all day. If I thought Jim was lazy and not doing anything I'd either stop being a member of GOAL, or I'd do my best to find a replacement for him. All I said was that, as a paid GOAL member, I'd appreciate some sort of a response to an email. Even a "Hi Steve, we currently have much more important things to conquer than this" sent to me within a few weeks would have been suitable. He could have even forwarded my email to someone else at GOAL to handle if he was too busy. I'm not asking, or expecting him to be perfect in any way, shape, or form... so relax, will ya?

Sometimes I find good deals on ammo.
Would a FFL in Mass be able to accept a shipment?
If so, what would proper compensation be for his efforts?

Yes, but be aware that the places you are thinking of ordering from will STILL not ship to an MA FFL.

MA FFLs mostly get their ammo from big distributors that only ship to FFLs.

If you find a remote seller of ammo that is willing to go the FFL route, I'd probably talk to whatever dealer you have the most favor with. I have a few that I spent stupid amounts of money with in the past that would do it no problem.... It helps if you "have favor" with them. It also helps if you try to give them the business first. The more honest ones will say "Well, I can get within X of that price... " etc. Dealers tend to be a lot more flexible on doing favors when the item in question is something they can't get through their channels anyways.

It's easier to just use a front in NH or wherever..... wider variety of choices, and if the goal is to save money, that is ultimately the only way you will be able to do that, because a lot of the cheapest sources don't ship to MA under any circumstances.

-Mike

It helps if you "have favor" with them. It also helps if you try to give them the business first. The more honest ones will say "Well, I can get within X of that price... " etc. Dealers tend to be a lot more flexible on doing favors when the item in question is something they can't get through their channels anyways.

It also shows the benefit of picking a favorite dealer and becoming a regular, rather than chasing the last $20 in price each time you buy a $500+ gun.

All the smaller FFLs that have to deal with this should band together and fight this.

They don't. They have distributors that service them. They don't care what the price is, either, because they just pass it along to the buyers, and 75% of the time, most people still buy overpriced ammo, so the incentives aren't exactly great for them to fight it. I'm sure they would wish they had, though, when we were under Obama-panic and the big distributors were f**king over the dealers in a major way.

I can understand those companies being afraid to ship to regular residents, but refusing to ship to FFLs is just ignorant.

Not really, considering that MA in terms of ammo market is like a pimple on an elephant's ass. Additionally, some of these companies are under a consent decree enema that they idiotically signed with the previous AG, basically stating that as part of not getting dragged into court, that they will never send anything of (insert listed item here) into MA ever again. I doubt there are any "dealer exceptions" written into these consent decrees.

If I was one of these internet vendors I'd write off MA, too, but I'd have "partner dealers" (eg, shade tree FFLs that don't usually stock a lot of ammo) in the border states where the ammo would get drop shipped to, so MA customers could pick it up for a small fee or something.

I know it's not worth taking legal action, but maybe banding together and contacting the AG along with the companies would do something to help the situation.

Yeah, because complaining to an anti gun AG will accomplish much. [thinking] Please be sure to scan and post the canned form letter response you get from the AG's office. We'll run a contest here to see how bland it is. People like Martha Jokely have to have a court order or threat of prison shoved in their face before they will even flinch.

-Mike

It also shows the benefit of picking a favorite dealer and becoming a regular, rather than chasing the last $20 in price each time you buy a $500+ gun.

That too... . and even then, a lot of good dealers will often get their price down a little more for you if you are a good customer. Sometimes it's about the way you negotiate, too. "Wah I can buy it at dicks for $50 less!" is not how you get a deal at a dealer.

-Mike

It's dealers who WILL ship to subjects in MA that we don't mention as doing such. The AG knows these folks won't ship, since they're the ones who have been badgered into not shipping.

Foghorn_Leghorn2.jpg

That's-I say, that's a joke, son. A flag waver. You're built too low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em. Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball. Eye. Ball. I almost had a gag, son. Joke, that is.

Foghorn_Leghorn2.jpg

That's-I say, that's a joke, son. A flag waver. You're built too low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em. Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball. Eye. Ball. I almost had a gag, son. Joke, that is.

Ok, you got me. It's early, okay? I just got up [laugh]

Besides, with the idiocy I see around here on a daily basis, it's best to be sure sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom