• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping ammo to a Mass FFL

I requested NRA assistance on the ammo issue and was blown off with a statement that they have decided not to provide any support for such a case and I am encouraged to retain counsel on my own if I wish to pursue the matter.

Like I said. The NRA is good at taking your money and farting off issues exactly like this! When I hear stuff like this from them it makes me not want to renew my membership and the sole reason I keep the membership is the cheap gun insurance they offer and that's it!

That's-I say, that's a joke, son. A flag waver. You're built too low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em. Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball. Eye. Ball. I almost had a gag, son. Joke, that is.

This one works even better for that sort of thing.... [rofl]

foghorn.jpg

Thanks for the support, Mike.

Ok, admittedly I was a little over the top. Yours was just a balsa wood plane flying over your head. Usually the "croquet match" should be reserved for the space shuttle flyby type of incident. [grin]

-Mike

False. Non-residents are exempt.

You work in a gun store, don't you? What is the cardinal rule about cops and guys who work in a gun store?

(f) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresident hunters with valid nonresident hunting licenses during hunting season;

(g) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresidents while on a firing or shooting range;

(h) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresidents traveling in or through the commonwealth, providing that any rifles or shotguns are unloaded and enclosed in a case;

That is NOT enough of an exemption to justify that statement. Also, them delivering it could be considered a transfer and thus an even BIGGER crime.

You need to go to their place to pick it up. It is illegal to posses ammo or ammo components in MA without a permit.

NON-RESIDENT HUNTERS:
• Must have a valid Massachusetts non-resident hunting license in order to hunt.
• Must show a Basic Hunter Education course certificate or previous license from any state or Canadian province in order to purchase a Massachusetts hunting license. Non-
resident minors (ages 15–17), see MINORS, page 8. Each license includes a $5.00 charge for a Wildlife Conservation Stamp.
• Must obtain the same stamps and permits as residents. Permit and stamp fees are the same for residents and non-residents. Non-resident hunters must also obtain a Massachusetts H.I.P. number for hunting migratory game birds.
• May not purchase ammunition in Massachusetts (including materials used in black powder firearms).• While travelling into or through Massachusetts must have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case.
• No gun license is needed to possess or transport long guns.

If it is ok for non residents to bring in a long gun for hunting what do they do for ammo

Last edited:
NON-RESIDENT HUNTERS:
• Must have a valid Massachusetts non-resident hunting license in order to hunt.
• Must show a Basic Hunter Education course certificate or previous license from any state or Canadian province in order to purchase a Massachusetts hunting license. Non-
resident minors (ages 15–17), see MINORS, page 8. Each license includes a $5.00 charge for a Wildlife Conservation Stamp.
• Must obtain the same stamps and permits as residents. Permit and stamp fees are the same for residents and non-residents. Non-resident hunters must also obtain a Massachusetts H.I.P. number for hunting migratory game birds.
• May not purchase ammunition in Massachusetts (including materials used in black powder firearms).• While travelling into or through Massachusetts must have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case.
• No gun license is needed to possess or transport long guns.

If it is ok for non residents to bring in a long gun for hunting what do they do for ammo

They are allowed ammo with their exemption based on the hunting license. Read the law I quoted and you will see a reasonable interpretation of this statute is to scope the ammo to the specific rifle or shotgun they are in possession of.

Anybody feel that with the current decision in California (knocking down the potential ban on online orders for handgun ammunition) could eventually have an effect here? The ban was found to be unconstitutional, which leads me to believe the Massachusetts AG will need some larger boots in the times to come. This, of course, would require much aid from Comm2A and GOAL..but it doesn't hurt to have wishful thinking, right?

Anybody feel that with the current decision in California (knocking down the potential ban on online orders for handgun ammunition) could eventually have an effect here? The ban was found to be unconstitutional, which leads me to believe the Massachusetts AG will need some larger boots in the times to come. This, of course, would require much aid from Comm2A and GOAL..but it doesn't hurt to have wishful thinking, right?

No, see the other threads on this topic. This ruling was very specific to the law as written in CA. It was also not found unconstitutional on 2A grounds but on Vagueness grounds.

ETA: That said, we aren't ignoring the ammo issue. We just have so much bandwidth at this point.

First off, what T. Former said.

Secondly, there is a long term strategy. We have to pick and choose cases to make specific progress, weighing issues such as chances of winning; fundability; legal theory and standing; what attorney we would use for the case; how any precedent impacts future cases; availability of viable plaintiff who will go the distance with us; likleyhood we will appeal (including contingency plans for funding an appeal if needed), etc. Unfortunately, we can't share every strategic thought here but just because we do not have an active case filed on an issue does not mean we consider it unimportant or are ignoring it.

All very good points Rob. Was a thought that crossed my mind while reading through the thread. As T former pointed out I should have searched for other info on the subject prior to posting.

One thing I will add is this is why more and more guys should get into reloading (and it does seem more and more shooters are getting into it). One can often find once fired brass at their local shop or on the range. Find a source for powder, primers, and bullets and stock up on it so you don't need to buy it again for 1-2 years (depending on your shooting volume). I recently have had good luck with a few different retailers who will ship bullets (won't mention names) but all the other supplies I am getting through the local shop (Guns and Gear) which you recommended to me just a few weeks ago. My ammo woes are over...for now..

No, see the other threads on this topic. This ruling was very specific to the law as written in CA. It was also not found unconstitutional on 2A grounds but on Vagueness grounds.

ETA: That said, we aren't ignoring the ammo issue. We just have so much bandwidth at this point.

Plus, theres no official ammo ban in MA, just the AG threatening lawsuit and other crap that would create a huge headache for online distributors that really dont feel MA is worth it to fight the bitch.

You work in a gun store, don't you? What is the cardinal rule about cops and guys who work in a gun store?

That is NOT enough of an exemption to justify that statement. Also, them delivering it could be considered a transfer and thus an even BIGGER crime.

As a blanket statement, no. But saying that a license is needed to possess ammo or components is not true in all cases either.

EDIT: I also work as a firearms instructor with someone you know, are you going to make a generalization about instructors too?

Last edited:
When shipping ammo to friends out of state, can they bring it into MA for me (they don't have a MA permit) or do I need to go to their house and get it?

Regardless of what the law says, going to the friend out of state is the best way to do it.

It also shows the benefit of picking a favorite dealer and becoming a regular, rather than chasing the last $20 in price each time you buy a $500+ gun.

Yup.

Yeah, because complaining to an anti gun AG will accomplish much.

I recall one case posted on here where it actually did work.

That is NOT enough of an exemption to justify that statement.

While I agree with you in the details, his response was much more legally correct than smcnally's.

Also, them delivering it could be considered a transfer and thus an even BIGGER crime.

Transfers of ammunition are perfectly legal (140-129C 2nd para). Selling ammo without a license to sell is a misdemeanor. As I read the post by bubbajoe, he would be paying for it but having it shipped to them, so they wouldn't be selling it to him. No legal lines would be crossed in that situation.

They are allowed ammo with their exemption based on the hunting license. Read the law I quoted and you will see a reasonable interpretation of this statute is to scope the ammo to the specific rifle or shotgun they are in possession of.

I agree about limiting the ammo to the kind of gun they have with it, but 140-129C(p) allows possession of non-large capacity long guns unrelated to hunting. If a non-resident can possess long guns in their home state, they basically can possess what an FID holder can in Mass.

Plus, theres no official ammo ban in MA, just the AG threatening lawsuit and other crap that would create a huge headache for online distributors that really dont feel MA is worth it to fight the bitch.

If there is no such law banning ammo shipments it is perfectly legal to ship despite what the AG says!

If there is no such law banning ammo shipments it is perfectly legal to ship despite what the AG says!

The fact that it is legal doesn't change the fact that tons of places will NOT ship ammo, components, or a whole bunch of other stuff, to MA. They've been badgered into either signing agreements not to ship, or just being so g-d confused that the 6 customers they would get from MA are not worth the potential hassle.

Technically, you could, but it would be at least another shipping and another HAZMAT fee.

Seems to me that your local gun shop should be able to place the order for you.

When shipping ammo to friends out of state, can they bring it into MA for me (they don't have a MA permit) or do I need to go to their house and get it?

The law states you cannot sell ammo in MA without a license, so the question becomes "what exactly is selling IN MA?".

The AG's position is that the sale of ammo from an out of state vendor to a MA resident with delivery by common carrier takes place in the location to which the package is delivered, not at the point of delivery to the common carrier as is generally the case for FOB shipments.

The law states you cannot sell ammo in MA without a license, so the question becomes "what exactly is selling IN MA?".

The AG's position is that the sale of ammo from an out of state vendor to a MA resident with delivery by common carrier takes place in the location to which the package is delivered, not at the point of delivery to the common carrier as is generally the case for FOB shipments.

Ultimately they claim that since ammunition requires licensing, the fact that a dealer out of state ships in ammo to someone without being able to verify the validity of the license, they are committing an unsafe and deceptive business practice. The federal definition of which encompasses selling something to someone who is otherwise prohibited from possessing it which means they can get in trouble for the commercial actions of the seller.

Back
Top Bottom