shipping a gun

so...i need to ship a long gun out of state to have some custom work done on it and i need some advice

fed ex or ups?

can i ship in just a hard case? should i get a long box to put the hard case in? should i put a trigger lock on the gun? should i tape the hard case closed?

ive never done it before and im totally scared to bring a rifle to a ups store!

would i be better off having it shipped from an ffl and then having the out of state dealer ship it back to me?

If the shop you are sending it to has an FFL, you can send your gun via UPS or FedEx two day air. Shipping in a hard case is a good idea. Make sure to include at least one magazine, and, if you reload your own ammo, consider sending the 'smith some ammo in a separate container. You'll want the gun tested with the kind of ammo you plan to shoot. There is no need to lock up your gun, as common carriers like UPS and FedEx are exempt from secure storage requirements.

Send it USPS. Least expensive way. You can ship a long gun through the mail. Don't
send it UPS or Fedex unless you feel like you want to get hosed. I just sent a shotgun
to a FFL in Illinios through USPS. No problem. Check with the guy receiving it to make
sure he can legally receive it if it is going to him (make him fax you his license).
Otherwise it has to go to an FFL. If it is going to an FFL get a fax of his license and
you can check it at the ATF FFL EZ Check site to insure it is valid. I always, always
do this. All you have to do is plug in his number on the certificate.

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck

Look up USPS Publication 52, Section 43, paragraph 432.1d. Pack carefully, send it
priority mail, and insure it. Every FFL worth his salt send their guns priority mail vs
UPS or Fedex, unless they don't want to deal with the effort to go to the PO for
you to mail it. Why shouldn't you if you are allowed to do it, which you are with
long guns?

You need to make it as inconspicuous as you can. I packed mine in a box I made up
from a heavy cardboard box I got from the local CVS dumpster. (Price was right!) You
can pick up a roll of that tape with nylon reinforcement if you go that route and it will
be as strong as anything you can buy. I can't emphasize the importance of packing
it well. That doesn't change for any of them, including UPS and FEDEX. If it isn't
packaged well some Neanderthal will abuse it somewhere along the line and you are
not going to like the results.

The reason I say send it priority mail is to avoid it being in the hands of the Neanderthals
too long. Only bad things can happen to your firearm if it is in the possession of any of
the shippers. YMMV.

Last edited:
I recently shipped a rifle to Arizona (and back) via UPS.

It was placed in a hard case and then boxed up in cardboard. The "boxes-r-us" company nor the UPS people batted an eye when I told then I was shipping a gun.

The rifle arrived with no problems and without a loss of zero.

I shipped it back the same way, again with no problems.

I did not compare prices with FedEx and the USPS.

Based on the reccomendation of the Pro shop manager where the rifle was being sent, I chose UPS. She said that FedEx was a local contract and only delivered out to them once a week while UPS came every day.

Send it USPS. Least expensive way.

If it's a handgun, absolutely USPS is cheaper because you have to send them at least Next Day Air Saver if sending UPS. But unfortunately you can't ship handguns USPS, you've got to convince a local FFL to do it for you. Long guns are a different story because they can be sent UPS ground, and if your workplace has a contract with UPS, it's often cheaper to ship packages UPS than USPS.

From my experiences, a UPS Store will not ship a gun be it rifle, whatever. A UPS depot on the other hand will and has a special label that gets put on it so the drivers and delivery crew are made to sign for it.
I use standard long boxes that milsurp rifles are shipped in. Working in a body shop has advantages because we get bumpers wrapped in long sleeves of bubble wrap. Its perfect for bagging up a rifle.
If I sell a rifle to another C&R holder out of state, I always figure in the shipping price which is about $15.
Another good thing about UPS is their no nonsense tracking number that lets you track the package through the web site. I find it more detailed and up to date than the USPS.

Last edited:
Send it USPS. Least expensive way. You can ship a long gun through the mail. Don't send it UPS or Fedex unless you feel like you want to get hosed.

My recommendation also. Check with your local PO on rates.

I send long guns via UPS. The price difference is negligible, ground costs about ten bucks for any of the three.

Back
Top Bottom