• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sharing steel at a busy range.... Rant!

Figured I would run down to Harvard this afternoon to shoot my new Perf. Center 1911 with the girl. We shot paper targets at the 7 and 25 yd range then I felt like shooting some steel. The range was very busy today. I drove around to the steel plate range but its was busy so I thought I would try the back 40 wheres there is a rack.

I didnt see a car down there so I figured it was empty. I pulled down and there's this "guy". Hes rather large, old, with a big beard and a goofy hat. He's staring me down, really staring. You know the stare like who the eff are you. For a second I thought maybe it was an event with all the stuff he had out. I sit there in the truck for a second and realize it's just him with his "gear". The picnic table is covered with bags, guns, ammo and other stuff including the spray paint for the targets. My fiance questions if we can shoot and I say "why not its just this "guy". So we get out of the truck and make our way over to the table infront of the plates.

Let me paint this picture of the back 40 for you. There is some wooden stands for you to shoot paper next to a steel plate rack and a tree rack poorly placed so you couldnt shoot at it if someone was shooting the main rack. I think "the guy" moved it. Meanwhile "the guy" is rummaging around his table full of stuff as we walk by. I see he has an unloaded gun at the end of the table in front of the rack so I go to put my stuff on the opposite end. As Im putting my stuff down the guy waddles over and says "Im shooting the plates, I dont know what you plan on shooting" in a pissed off tone and a snarl but he might just always look that way. I reply "Oh, I thought you were shooting over there..." and he replies "that's just my gear." I normally would have no problem telling the guy to F off but I want to be a good club member so I just grabbed my stuff and went back to the truck. I drove back over to the plate range to see if it had cleared out but it looked like two groups who were nicely sharing and taking turns shooting. I didn't feel like waiting so I just went home. I thought about it and realized I should have asked the guy if he owned this range or paid extra to rent it. He clearly didn't want to give up "his range". The more I thought about it the more I wished I had told this guy to shove his stupid hat up his a$$.

Anyway that's my rant. What would you have done? What are the general rules/ courtesy for busy rack ranges? Take turns or bully other people from shooting...

He's just a grumpy old bastard. I would've stayed there all day. If he's got a problem he can join another club

Are the plates range property?

These plates are I imagine. They are huge and have always been there. It looked like he had been there all morning and had brought his entire shop with him. When I got back in the truck I sat there for about 10 minutes staring at him like he has starred at us. He starting missing...

I like dinging off the plate rack and standalone center of mass plate by the 25 yard range.

I don't know if the steel is the club's but do you think he carried that steel down range and set it up by himself? Does his vehicle look like it could carry or hold said steel?

I like dinging off the plate rack and standalone center of mass plate by the 25 yard range.

I don't know if the steel is the club's but do you think he carried that steel down range and set it up by himself? Does his vehicle look like it could carry or hold said steel?

I did shoot that rack as well but 25yds it gets tricky. He did not bring the rack its huge! He didnt park down there which was strange for all the stuff down there.

These plates are I imagine. They are huge and have always been there. It looked like he had been there all morning and had brought his entire shop with him. When I got back in the truck I sat there for about 10 minutes staring at him like he has starred at us. He starting missing...

He needs a lesson in sharing, he probably was an only child. Although I agree with an above poster, no need to get confrontational at a gun range.....

Maybe a polite challenge of plate shooting was in order....sucks when shooters get all weird with that shit.
My peev is the shooter who holds up going cold/safe on the range cause they are in the zone....
Not the "finish the mag " hold up.
I let anyone shoot my steel when I bring it. Club steel should be shared...but I wouldn't shoot a set of plates if they need manual resetting if the shooter just reset them.

Thats not that weird. I was picturing a pink, over-sized foam rubber cowboy hat.

Sounds like the range you were at was kind of out of the way. Maybe he got used to having it all to himself and gets a little pissy when he has to share? Still no excuse, just speculating. Just chalk it up to the fact that some people are *******s I guess. Maybe next time just ask him why he feels its his range.

I remember being unsure of the etiquette of "plate sharing" when I first started. I asked one day and the guy kind of looked at me funny (seem to get that a lot) and pretty much said feel free to fire away.

yea, went to our outdoor yesterday afternoon and there were 2 guys parked pretty much AT the targets of an 8 bench 100 yard range (against our club rules for this section). They were taking turns shooting pistols from about 10 yards. There was my wife and I, and another guy showed up with his girlfriend or wife and we had to wait for these 2 to realize how inconsiderate they were being. they didn't, or didn't care. And we could not bring anything out or set anything up at any of the benches, as they were technically downrange. Luckily, another area opened up for us and we had a great time.

I don't have a problem showing up at the range and setting up even if another party wanted it to themselves. It's my club as much as theirs, and I don't drive out there on precious rare occasions just to watch someone else hog it. Luckily that rarely happens at my club anyways.

Last edited:
I'd have let him know that I plan on shooting the plates too but I'd be happy to share / take turns. If he was a dick about it I'd call the club officer in charge of the range.

It sounds like he was a bit of a dick, and it also seems like I'm going to be in the minority here but if I'm at the club setup at a bench in front of a plate rack and someone else shows up and wants to use it they're welcome to ask if it's ok but I'm also welcome to say no thanks. I would do so politely of course but if someone started just setting up on the bench I was using as if they were just going to start plugging away at the rack I'm using I'd be a little less polite. maybe my club is different, we have a couple of pits with 2 racks each and it's common for different people to shoot at each rack in the same pit, but someone walking up and just starting to use a rack that's already in use would be considered bad form.

I had a problem several years ago at the plate racks on the Action Shooting Range at Harvard. I was shooting with a friend; two shooters, two racks. Several adults and a few kids arrived and invaded the range. They immediately went downrange to inspect the plates without clearing it with us; i.e. were we safe?, a gross safety violation. They then DEMANDED to shoot with us. I explained that both racks were in use, we had piles of brass on the ground that we had to collect, and that we would be done in about 1/2 hour. These people were adamant; they wanted to shoot NOW! We gave up and went home, but not before we cleaned up our brass which took about 1/2 hour while our "new friends" bitched about the delay. I learned my lesson; I have never used the plate rack since then. If you want to shoot steel at Harvard, bring your own but make sure it is inspected by someone on the Action Shooting Committee first; nice folks.

Figured I would run down to Harvard this afternoon to shoot my new Perf. Center 1911 with the girl. We shot paper targets at the 7 and 25 yd range then I felt like shooting some steel. The range was very busy today. I drove around to the steel plate range but its was busy so I thought I would try the back 40 wheres there is a rack.

I didnt see a car down there so I figured it was empty. I pulled down and there's this "guy". Hes rather large, old, with a big beard and a goofy hat. He's staring me down, really staring. You know the stare like who the eff are you. For a second I thought maybe it was an event with all the stuff he had out. I sit there in the truck for a second and realize it's just him with his "gear". The picnic table is covered with bags, guns, ammo and other stuff including the spray paint for the targets. My fiance questions if we can shoot and I say "why not its just this "guy". So we get out of the truck and make our way over to the table infront of the plates.

Let me paint this picture of the back 40 for you. There is some wooden stands for you to shoot paper next to a steel plate rack and a tree rack poorly placed so you couldnt shoot at it if someone was shooting the main rack. I think "the guy" moved it. Meanwhile "the guy" is rummaging around his table full of stuff as we walk by. I see he has an unloaded gun at the end of the table in front of the rack so I go to put my stuff on the opposite end. As Im putting my stuff down the guy waddles over and says "Im shooting the plates, I dont know what you plan on shooting" in a pissed off tone and a snarl but he might just always look that way. I reply "Oh, I thought you were shooting over there..." and he replies "that's just my gear." I normally would have no problem telling the guy to F off but I want to be a good club member so I just grabbed my stuff and went back to the truck. I drove back over to the plate range to see if it had cleared out but it looked like two groups who were nicely sharing and taking turns shooting. I didn't feel like waiting so I just went home. I thought about it and realized I should have asked the guy if he owned this range or paid extra to rent it. He clearly didn't want to give up "his range". The more I thought about it the more I wished I had told this guy to shove his stupid hat up his a$$.

Anyway that's my rant. What would you have done? What are the general rules/ courtesy for busy rack ranges? Take turns or bully other people from shooting...

He preyed on the fact that you don't like confrontations, most people don't.... either be an ******* back or tuck your tail and go home.

This is why I always try to find a range with shit facilities that no one uses. You can have all your ponds, lanes, meetings and dinners. Ill take a private range I can do whatever I want on.

He preyed on the fact that you don't like confrontations, most people don't.... either be an ******* back or tuck your tail and go home.

This is why I always try to find a range with shit facilities that no one uses. You can have all your ponds, lanes, meetings and dinners. Ill take a private range I can do whatever I want on.

Trust me, I am usually am one of the first to tell someone to eff off, but the is something of an uneasy feeling when getting into a confrontation at a range. Especially the back 40. Its literally behind the 7 and 25 yd range berm....

people shoot my steel plates all the time. i get my plates setup, other members show up and assume it's range property so they start blasting away.

my only concern is they use appropriate calibers and bullets for a given plate. nothing stupid.

half of the time they understand my concern and keep shooting my plates.

the other half of the time its some noob who doesn't understand the issue I'm raising and interprets my invitation to shoot my plates as some passive aggressive method to stop him from shooting my plates....which is incorrect.

Maybe I'm just lucky. I've been a HSC member since the late '70s. I've seen a few safety violations but have never had a bad experience with another shooter there. Maybe it helps to be holding a loaded machine gun. Jack.

All steel at Harvard is club property. The guy is a dick. I haven't met anyone there yet that wasn't willing to share, or make space.

Just a thought, did you try the sub-gun range? That hidden gem was discovered by me about a month ago. Full of steel silhouettes that can be shot by pretty much any pistol or shotgun caliber. There is a bench/line, but you are allowed to go forward of it if no one else is shooting from back there.

Other good news. It appears as if they are going to be making some improvements to the back 40. Perhaps when they do, they will add more plates and tables. I'll vote for the expenditure of a couple more $$$ for a huge "DON'T BE A FAT COWBOY HAT WEARING D0UCHEBAG" sign.

Proper response: "that's nice, but nothing indicates that. Now we are". I refuse to tuck my tail to range bullies. Never have, never will.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom