Sen Kennedy responds to my objection RE: Thune Amendment

Mike S

NES Member
The Thune Vitter ammendment

What do you guys think? Does this have a shot at passing?

I contacted my rep about supporting this, it was pretty much a wasted effort but I had to give it a shot.

Not a snowballs chance in hell. But you want to know what is good about it? Every time a law comes up dealing with guns we are playing defense. Here, we are playing offense and we are making them sweat. I just heard the other day that the Brady campaign said that in 2009 5 permit holders went on killing sprees. They said one is in NY and the other in PA. They failed to mention the other 3 but the NY one is the immigrant one. I think the one in PA is the kid who didn't have a CCW permit I don't believe. Point being, we are taking them out of their comfort zone. Of all of the gun deaths they can only point to 5 (and they really may be exaggerating some of them we don't know) as being committed by permit holders? Keep it coming. Lets talk about this on our terms and in our way and make them play defense for a while!

Hi,

Here is the response I received from Senator Kennedy:

> I appreciate your letter concerning the Thune Amendment. I
> strongly support each state's right to make its own judgment about
> whether citizens can carry concealed weapons, and I'm strongly opposed
> to attempts by some states to weaken or limit the gun control laws of
> other states, and for this reason, I opposed Senator Thune's amendment.
>
> Under the Thune Amendment, a person who could not obtain a
> concealed carry permit in his home state could circumvent his state law
> by finding another state in which he would be eligible for a
> non-resident permit. Then, by using the reciprocity granted by the
> amendment, he could carry the concealed weapon back home. In authorizing
> such circumvention, the Thune amendment threatened the safety of our
> citizens, our communities, and our states.
>
> States have the right to tailor their own gun laws and
> control who can carry a concealed weapon. What state officials, law
> enforcement, and legislators decide are the best policies for rural
> states may not be the best policy for urban states - and vice-versa.
> Under Senator Thune's broad amendment, requirements for carrying a
> concealed weapon such as mandated safety courses, criminal background
> checks, and substance abuse histories would have been made irrelevant if
> the individual was issued a permit in a jurisdiction with more
> permissive regulations.
>
> Also, under the Thune Amendment, it would be very difficult
> for a police officer to determine the legality of a gun being concealed
> by an individual with a permit from another state. Expanding the ability
> of a concealed gun holder to carry his weapon in a far larger number of
> jurisdictions will not lower gun deaths or crime.
>
> The Senate should be working to make the job of police
> officers safer, not adopt measures which can jeopardize the safety of
> our neighborhoods. For all these reasons, I'm encouraged that the Senate
> rejected this misguided amendment, and I hope that we'll continue in the
> future to consider all the risks involved when debating measures to
> expand whether individuals can carry a concealed gun across State lines.
>
> Thank you for contacting me on this very important issue.
>

Does anybody have any numbers for the total number of LEO's in MA? I'd be interested in the ratio.

I responded and asked: Why is their perceived additional safety more important than mine?

When are him & Kerry up for re-election? Can we get them out early?

David

You have a better chance of flying with your mind than getting Kennedy out of office. Its like Mumbles Menino, people just keep voting them in without even thinking about it.

It is interesting; I got the exact same reply. He did not vote on the bill.
You have to wonder who crafted the canned reply.

"Under the Thune Amendment, a person who could not obtain a
concealed carry permit in his home state could circumvent his state law
by finding another state in which he would be eligible for a
non-resident permit. Then, by using the reciprocity granted by the
amendment, he could carry the concealed weapon back home.

Wouldn't the need for Non-Resident permits go away if the Thune Amendment would have passed?

God has his finger on the button.

Given that he did not vote, maybe it is best that he does not croak yet. If he is too messed up to vote but hangs on and keeps another moonbat from getting elected he could become a "useful idiot". Ideally, they will mummify* him if he croaks and keep electing him into office.. and to top it off, he would make better decisions than he does now!

* I started to say "pickle" him, but he has already done that to himself from years of drinking.

My biggest problem with his response is this:

He states that if a home state doesnt want to issue a permit, that another state could issue a Non-resident permit thus granting reciprocal agreement in their home state.

If all states use the same backround check system, how come their home state would say no? Oh wait this is Massachusetts who says no for no reason. The fact that any state can reject you period is WRONG if you are qualified and able.

I would have no problem jumping through a few hoops to get a national CCW - fingerprints, training, photos, competency tests to satisfy all of the reasonable states requirements, as long as it is a guarantee to get it if you are a good boy.

I would have no problem jumping through a few hoops to get a national CCW - fingerprints, training, photos, competency tests to satisfy all of the reasonable states requirements, as long as it is a guarantee to get it if you are a good boy.
I would have a problem with it. It's a God Given right NOT something I should need a permit for. Also, who make the determination for reasonable? Not something I want big brother doing.

Under the Thune Amendment, a person who could not obtain a concealed carry permit in his home state could circumvent his state law by finding another state in which he would be eligible for a non-resident permit. Then, by using the reciprocity granted by the amendment, he could carry the concealed weapon back home.

I can do that right now. Ohio does not prohibits its residents from obtaining a non-resident license in another state with reciprocity.

Got this today... Like it had a chance in hell but....

Dear Mr. WeedWhacker:

I appreciate your letter concerning the Thune Amendment. I strongly support each state's right to make its own judgment about whether citizens can carry concealed weapons, and I'm strongly opposed to attempts by some states to weaken or limit the gun control laws of other states, and for this reason, I opposed Senator Thune's amendment.

Under the Thune Amendment, a person who could not obtain a concealed carry permit in his home state could circumvent his state law by finding another state in which he would be eligible for a non-resident permit. Then, by using the reciprocity granted by the amendment, he could carry the concealed weapon back home. In authorizing such circumvention, the Thune amendment threatened the safety of our citizens, our communities, and our states.

States have the right to tailor their own gun laws and control who can carry a concealed weapon. What state officials, law enforcement, and legislators decide are the best policies for rural states may not be the best policy for urban states - and vice-versa. Under Senator Thune's broad amendment, requirements for carrying a concealed weapon such as mandated safety courses, criminal background checks, and substance abuse histories would have been made irrelevant if the individual was issued a permit in a jurisdiction with more permissive regulations.

Also, under the Thune Amendment, it would be very difficult for a police officer to determine the legality of a gun being concealed by an individual with a permit from another state. Expanding the ability of a concealed gun holder to carry his weapon in a far larger number of jurisdictions will not lower gun deaths or crime.

The Senate should be working to make the job of police officers safer, not adopt measures which can jeopardize the safety of our neighborhoods. For all these reasons, I'm encouraged that the Senate rejected this misguided amendment, and I hope that we'll continue in the future to consider all the risks involved when debating measures to expand whether individuals can carry a concealed gun across State lines.

Thank you for contacting me on this very important issue.

Sincerely,
Edward M. Kennedy

state law by finding another state in which he would be eligible for a non-resident permit.

This is an outright lie!

The bill proposed that licenses of a state of which you are a RESIDENT would be honored in other states.

The anti-self-defense lobby must LIE to get any traction at all.

Sen. Kennedy said:
a person who could not obtain a concealed carry permit in his home state could circumvent his state law by finding another state in which he would be eligible for a non-resident permit.

This is an outright lie. Besides Kennedy, I've seen it from another anti-gun politician. So there are talking points of lies that these idiots all use.

See an actual quote from the amendment that was voted on:

Thune Amendment said:
to allow citizens who have concealed carry permits from the State in which they reside to carry concealed firearms in another State that grants concealed carry permits,

Imagine, catching our Senator lying !?

Originally Posted by Sen. Kennedy
a person who could not obtain a concealed carry permit in his home state could circumvent his state law by finding another state in which he would be eligible for a non-resident permit.

This is an outright lie. Besides Kennedy, I've seen it from another anti-gun politician. So there are talking points of lies that these idiots all use.

See an actual quote from the amendment that was voted on:

Imagine, catching our Senator lying !?

Actually, the Corpulent Cretin is right... we don't want someone who might have trouble getting licensed in his/her home state doing something like going to another state to get a permit.

How about we just do away with all permits, FatBoy?

Man, when is his elevator going down?

Damn, the ratio for my town is roughly 900:1

Glad I live in a GREEN town!
Green town here too...

IIRC, the 500:1 is a number that the Fed's come up with, from what I hear its a "wish/suggestion" and rarely happens, but I don't have any data to back it up and clearly different types of areas have different requirements...

I also received the same mass email response and one of the parts that bothered me was:

... the best policies for rural states may not be the best policy for urban states - and vice-versa...

Does this mean that people in rural areas have more rights to protect themselves over people living in urban areas/states? I don't remember 2A specifying any restrictions on where you lived as long as it was the USA!

Back
Top Bottom