• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selling “On-Conseignment”

I sold 4 guns last year before I moved face to face. Had them come to my house, did it at my desk, printed out the copy, done.

When I ran out of MA transfers I had to dump that stuff at a shop on consignment. Luckily, it all sold very fast and for considerable amounts of money.

Don't be worried at all unless it's a new user, a user with little to no legitimate posts, use with no or weird feedback, etc.

I think mikejr was the last "known" person to completely f*** up a fairly large group buy here. I knew him growing up. He's extremely eccentric, and generally was a good dude but he really f***ed that group buy up and I had enough of him. It was so inconsiderate of him to do that. Classic NES, very few people in that buy even left him feedback to let others know to stay away. The system isnt working if you do that, people.

In his case though after that incident, it didn't matter because he was gone in a puff of smoke after that. [rofl] That was probably top 5 most famous GBs gone bad, ever.

You will take a beating selling on consignment. Why are you adverse to selling it privet sale. Selling it on NES is a good way to sell a firearm
Depends on the gun. I've made more on consignments this last year, even including fees, than selling privately. Example, gen 2 G19 had no responses here for 650. Sold at FS for 1k, more than $800 back to me. Plus it sold in 1 day.

At FS you can check to see if your type gun will sell fast and for how much. Just look at the used guns and check prices and if they sell at those prices.

Last edited:
How does one sell “On-Conseignment” to a dealer? Does one first have to sell the firearm to the dealer on the E-FA10 portal, then let the dealer handle the transfer to the prospective buyer sometime in the future? Or does the seller lend the firearm to the dealer, he/she finds a buyer, then handles a dealer or FTF transfer? Thanks in advance,

Its very simple.

You bring the guns to the dealer and then do what he says to do. Its his business, guiding the process is part of what you are paying him for.

I used to be a home based FFL with a state license to sell when I lived in CT. Even then, I often dropped off stuff at larger dealers for consignment.

I'm not talking about something like a glock. But more typically estates. I would buy 20 guns and would typically pay 35% to 45% of the used retail price of the gun for the entire group. When you buy like this you get some great guns. You also get some clunkers. I would bring them all to my guy. He would sell them for me and I didn't need to do much work at all. Paying 12% to him for the service was much better than trying to manage and store 20 extra guns.

For 15% plus fees, he would list them on gunbroker

I was basically outsourcing the retail sales portion of my business.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, are dealers in MA still restricted in what they can sell on consignment? Glocks and such?
MGL restricts what they can "transfer". So whether it is a sale, inheritance (for those dumb enough to follow their PD's advice), etc. the rules are the same . . . if not on EOPS List and AG compliant (or grandfathered with proof), it's a NO GO!

MGL restricts what they can "transfer". So whether it is a sale, inheritance (for those dumb enough to follow their PD's advice), etc. the rules are the same . . . if not on EOPS List and AG compliant (or grandfathered with proof), it's a NO GO!
Much better than my explanation. Ha. Thanks.

You will take a beating selling on consignment. Why are you adverse to selling it privet sale. Selling it on NES is a good way to sell a firearm
Selling through consignment will let you be "seen" by more potential buyers. And the shop handles all the dumb as f%$# questions and all the lookie loos. It's a payment for services, a savings of your time and a bigger buyer pool. It may or may not be worth your "aggravation" to go private sale. But with this market, maybe best to go FTF.

Can't you just sell it to anyone? Anywhere? How many loopholes do you get per year. Biden tells me the gun problem in Chicago is caused by legal gun owners selling guns illegally. So, i probably wouldn't sell to someone from IL.
It’s all those DAMNED Hoosiers down in Indiana causing the problem!

Their god damned red state freedoms screwing it up for the rest. Down with Hoosiers! Down with freedom!

Thank you! That is helpful. I’m thinking of cleaning out the safe a little while waiting for my C&R to come in. I’m sure it’ll fill up again! Is the “4 sales per year” rule restricted to FTF transfers, or does that include sales to FFL as well?

Thank you! That is helpful. I’m thinking of cleaning out the safe a little while waiting for my C&R to come in. I’m sure it’ll fill up again! Is the “4 sales per year” rule restricted to FTF transfers, or does that include sales to FFL as well?
Strictly sales to non-FFL (Dealers) count towards the 4/calendar year.

...incidentally, what are you selling?

Depends on the gun. I've made more on consignments this last year, even including fees, than selling privately. Example, gen 2 G19 had no responses here for 650. Sold at FS for 1k, more than $800 back to me. Plus it sold in 1 day.

At FS you can check to see if your type gun will sell fast and for how much. Just look at the used guns and check prices and if they sell at those prices.
Kind of hard to tell "if they sell" because you have to track the history and there is no posted record of sales price. In fact, it isn't even in the backend database.

...incidentally, what are you selling?
Not entirely sure yet, but thinking some of my Chi-Com stuff. Mosin Nagant, Chinese Tokarev, Russian Makarov (commercial .380, not the military version). As I get older, I'd like to replace some of my first (inexpensive) purchases with American Classics: 1903A3, etc.

Not entirely sure yet, but thinking some of my Chi-Com stuff. Mosin Nagant, Chinese Tokarev, Russian Makarov (commercial .380, not the military version). As I get older, I'd like to replace some of my first (inexpensive) purchases with American Classics: 1903A3, etc.

I really do think you'll get a better deal here on the pistols. Maybe not the Mosin, depending on the price you post it for. You could even trade here: maybe someone wants to trade a shooter 1903 for both pistols, or something like that. Those kinds of barters are easier here than at a consignment shop.

GLWS

I really do think you'll get a better deal here on the pistols. Maybe not the Mosin, depending on the price you post it for. You could even trade here: maybe someone wants to trade a shooter 1903 for both pistols, or something like that. Those kinds of barters are easier here than at a consignment shop.

GLWS

I don't get why people even buy the mosin pistols. if you want a framing hammer you can buy a nice one at home depot way cheaper.

you do have your C&R, right?

Back
Top Bottom