Selling “On-Conseignment”

BigGreen2000

NES Member
How does one sell “On-Conseignment” to a dealer? Does one first have to sell the firearm to the dealer on the E-FA10 portal, then let the dealer handle the transfer to the prospective buyer sometime in the future? Or does the seller lend the firearm to the dealer, he/she finds a buyer, then handles a dealer or FTF transfer? Thanks in advance,

How does one sell “On-Conseignment” to a dealer? Does one first have to sell the firearm to the dealer on the E-FA10 portal, then let the dealer handle the transfer to the prospective buyer sometime in the future? Or does the seller lend the firearm to the dealer, he/she finds a buyer, then handles a dealer or FTF transfer? Thanks in advance,
Did you ask the dealer?

it goes in the dealers bound book IIRC, and to get it back if it does not sell he has to transfer it back

Once the dealer has it in his book it is handled like any other sale in his inventory

Chances are the dealer is going to want 20% or more of the selling price. Know what you want in your pocket net and price it so you get net cash

Or you could just sell it here on NES

You will take a beating selling on consignment. Why are you adverse to selling it privet sale. Selling it on NES is a good way to sell a firearm
I’m actually OK selling FTF, just haven’t done it yet. What’s the usual protocol? Meet at a LGS, seller or buyer’s house? I assume one needs a computer, internet connection, and printer?

if you know the person from here, and they have a LTC, then you can do a eFA-10 and get it over with

If you don't know the person, word your ad with "transfer at XYZ gun store, buyer pays fees"

I’m actually OK selling FTF, just haven’t done it yet. What’s the usual protocol? Meet at a LGS, seller or buyer’s house? I assume one needs a computer, internet connection, and printer?

Put it up for sale. There's a template available on the WTS forum.

Wait for the PMs to roll in. If they don't, lower the price until they do.

Establish comms. Usually I agree to the sales terms via a series of PMs, then set up a meeting place and give out my phone number. The meetup should be mutually agreeable. I've done one trade at a guy's house, and bought ammo from the same guy's porch. Almost every other deal has been done in a parking lot, usually behind a building.

Someone brings a smartphone. Do the EFA-10 on that.

If you'd prefer a computer, just do the inspection and handshake in a DD parking lot, then head inside and use their WiFi to fill in the portal. I've done that too.

At the end, when it asks whether you want to save or print the EFA-10, just select print and, instead of turning it into paper, save the PDF that results. You can text or email that to the other guy and they can do whatever they want with it.

As the seller, the burden is on you to complete the EFA-10. It's not a difficult thing to do, and if you sell to someone with plenty of feedback, they'll talk you through it. Every now and then there are EFA-10 problems; there are a few ways around that. I think you've got 7 days to complete the transfer, so depending on the amount of trust you and the buyer have developed, you can take the cash, give him the gun, and then do the EFA-10 whenever you can resolve your tech problems.

Easy-peasy.

just a side note, NES is a pretty tight community, many of us know each other away from the keyboard, if someone has long established membership time and is a "Green " member with a lot of posts you can, after doing your due diligence, assume you are dealing with fairly reputable people.

Getting screwed by a known long term member of NES is almost unheard of.... sometimes a deal gets flaked there is not a lot you can do about that, but to my knowledge there have never been any problems with sales done in person or at a FFL

In a "free state" it is a lot easier and I can tell you after over 10 years on this board things are bought and sold on handshakes and a persons reputation on this forum (and it is perfectly legal)

Don’t ask, don’t tell.

Consignment = you dump gun at a dealer, set a price, if /when gun sells, dealer takes 15-20% typically, you get cash/check for the balance.

Only a subset of dealers do consignment. Many don't do it at all.

IMHO the only time it makes sense is if the dealer has a large audience and you're selling something that is difficult to move FTF.

Consignment = you dump gun at a dealer, set a price, if /when gun sells, dealer takes 15-20% typically, you get cash/check for the balance.

IMHO the only time it makes sense is if the dealer has a large audience and you're selling something that is difficult to move FTF.
The last sentence is why you would consign. Just list it here in the classifieds, you'd be better off.

Can't you just sell it to anyone? Anywhere? How many loopholes do you get per year. Biden tells me the gun problem in Chicago is caused by legal gun owners selling guns illegally. So, i probably wouldn't sell to someone from IL.
Mass has different laws than NH

I mostly agree with that, but I think there's an angle on price, too. A high volume shop can move a consignment gun for way more than I'd be able to get for it with a posting here.

I mostly agree with that, but I think there's an angle on price, too. A high volume shop can move a consignment gun for way more than I'd be able to get for it with a posting here.

Maybe for something gay, like a pre 94 AR that has a lot of fluff built into the price.... but yes, i have sold guns on consignment and effectively gotten the same $ i would have gotten on a pure private sale.

On my way out of MA, I put a number of guns in WTS here, some received no interest at all from NES. So I put them on consignment and received fair compensation for them. In one case I had a G22, factory-refurb that was in like new condition listed here. I was going to put it on consignment but the dealer offered to buy it for cash for more than I had listed it for on NES. Sold!!

for a quick sale on consignment, it's four seasons. tons of traffic, not just walk in but the store is a destination. no haggling, set your price and forget it. i believe carl takes 18%. but here or any other store it's a small price to not have to deal with paperwork and skinflint nes'ers trying to cop a family discount. the quickest i ever sold a consignment gun was 3 hours. just find a shop with decent customer traffic.

I've noticed a few things about consignment, just to add.

(1) The guy selling the gun is usually older, not willing to deal with technology or shipping, and is trying to unload something. Sometimes they're commodity guns (I bought a 930 JM Pro through consignment), sometimes they're weird - one of my local FFLs recently posted a Romanian pre-Century PSL for sale that he got in on consignment. Some FFLs keep consignment guns on the wall and basically treat them like their inventory. Others list them on Gunbroker because they know some weird antique or C&R or whatever simply isn't going to sell quickly, which leads me to...

(2) Consignment also tends to show up often when FFLs have a hard time getting guns. This has been pretty common since last year. FFLs need a stream of cash to keep going and consignment guns provide that when new inventory is months, if not years, away. I've also seen it with new, smalltime full-retail FFLs, like a FFL whose new to the scene but doesn't have the cash to buy a full inventory of guns.

(3) Consignment makes trades and haggling complicated for a potential buyer because the shop handling the consignment is supposed to take in X amount of cash. I tend to know my go-to FFLs fairly well, so I know what their profit margins are and I know how much room I have to haggle. Especially with something that's quirky or needs work. Consequently, I've seen consignment guns sit and sit and sit for years because the sellers set unrealistic price points, the shops don't explain this to the sellers, and there's never a deal made to get the gun to sell at a reasonable price for all involved. Basically same thing as on here where a gun sits for a year plus.

(4) There's also consignment through auction houses, but that's another topic for another thread.

it goes in the dealers bound book IIRC, and to get it back if it does not sell he has to transfer it back

Once the dealer has it in his book it is handled like any other sale in his inventory

Chances are the dealer is going to want 20% or more of the selling price. Know what you want in your pocket net and price it so you get net cash

Or you could just sell it here on NES
Four Seasons is 18%; 15% on very expensive items.
never a deal made to get the gun to sell at a reasonable price for all involved.
Four Seasons does not advertise this but will forward a serious and credible offer to the seller.

A friend has his HK91 (real, not a clone) for sale for $3995. Dang, should have bought for that minus the 18% he thought he would pay (he was charged 15%). It sat for months but someone who appreciated it's mint condition and decent pre-ban mag inventory bought it for asking. The seller was (is) a precious factor - picture a jeweler's loupe exam looking for missing dirt after a cleaning.

You can meet anywhere. You can do the E-FA10 on the phone.

It is very easy and fast.

I agree. Easy and fast.

I prefer to use something bigger like an iPad or laptop which means WiFi is needed. I generally use a hotspot but there are always places that have free WiFi you can use if you want.

I save a copy of the EFA10 before I log out of they EFA10 system and email a copy to the buyer If they want one.

Bob

I sold 4 guns last year before I moved face to face. Had them come to my house, did it at my desk, printed out the copy, done.

When I ran out of MA transfers I had to dump that stuff at a shop on consignment. Luckily, it all sold very fast and for considerable amounts of money.

Don't be worried at all unless it's a new user, a user with little to no legitimate posts, use with no or weird feedback, etc.

I think mikejr was the last "known" person to completely f*** up a fairly large group buy here. I knew him growing up. He's extremely eccentric, and generally was a good dude but he really f***ed that group buy up and I had enough of him. It was so inconsiderate of him to do that. Classic NES, very few people in that buy even left him feedback to let others know to stay away. The system isnt working if you do that, people.

I've noticed a few things about consignment, just to add.

(1) The guy selling the gun is usually older, not willing to deal with technology or shipping, and is trying to unload something. Sometimes they're commodity guns (I bought a 930 JM Pro through consignment), sometimes they're weird - one of my local FFLs recently posted a Romanian pre-Century PSL for sale that he got in on consignment. Some FFLs keep consignment guns on the wall and basically treat them like their inventory. Others list them on Gunbroker because they know some weird antique or C&R or whatever simply isn't going to sell quickly, which leads me to...

(2) Consignment also tends to show up often when FFLs have a hard time getting guns. This has been pretty common since last year. FFLs need a stream of cash to keep going and consignment guns provide that when new inventory is months, if not years, away. I've also seen it with new, smalltime full-retail FFLs, like a FFL whose new to the scene but doesn't have the cash to buy a full inventory of guns.

(3) Consignment makes trades and haggling complicated for a potential buyer because the shop handling the consignment is supposed to take in X amount of cash. I tend to know my go-to FFLs fairly well, so I know what their profit margins are and I know how much room I have to haggle. Especially with something that's quirky or needs work. Consequently, I've seen consignment guns sit and sit and sit for years because the sellers set unrealistic price points, the shops don't explain this to the sellers, and there's never a deal made to get the gun to sell at a reasonable price for all involved. Basically same thing as on here where a gun sits for a year plus.

(4) There's also consignment through auction houses, but that's another topic for another thread.

It's not always 1- For example I've consigned guns in slow markets in situations where i needed cash yesterday. I once sold a shotgun in under a week and got 80% of my money back, which is pretty convenient. I had a couple at DTE where i quickly got all or nearly all of my money back, too, because big shops consumers are dumber or loose in the wallet vs avg.

Of course it depends on your motivations I literally have only ever sold stuff when I actually needed the money and thankfully I have broken out of that cycle of malaise.

Don't be worried at all unless it's a new user, a user with little to no legitimate posts, use with no or weird feedback, etc.

FWIW:
The last two sales I made on here were new members that were friends of another member who joined NES just for the purchase. They were smooth sales so new users can be good to go as well.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom