• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Self-defense for FBI agent killer?

Nov 20, 11:23 AM EST

Bail denied Pa. woman accused of killing FBI agent

By JOE MANDAK
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A judge denied bail on Thursday for a woman accused of killing an FBI agent during a drug raid that led to her husband's arrest on cocaine-dealing charges.

Christina Korbe, 40, was arraigned early Thursday on a homicide charge in the shooting death of Special Agent Sam Hicks on Wednesday.

Korbe told investigators she thought her home was being burglarized and that she was shooting at an intruder.

Hicks and other law enforcement officers had gone to Korbe's home to serve a warrant on her husband, Robert, as part of a drug sweep.

Christina Korbe called 911 during the raid and said her house was being robbed and that she had fired at a burglar. She was arrested while still on the phone with an emergency dispatcher.

She later told investigators that she never heard police announce themselves, according to a criminal complaint.

Allegheny County Police, however, said the team that went to the home to arrest Korbe's husband knocked on the door around 6 a.m. and shouted "police!" several times. The officers then saw Robert Korbe run through the house, according to the criminal complaint.

Christina Korbe was with her 10-year-old daughter and 5-year-old son when agents arrived and may have feared for their safety, said her attorney, Sumner Parker.

"It became very chaotic and confusing and based on some other things taking place. ... My client may have taken actions that she thought was appropriate and ultimately called 911 to get local police to her house based on what she thought was happening," Parker told The Associated Press.

Robert Korbe, however, knew police were at his door.

He told investigators that, when he heard and saw agents pounding on his front door, he ran to the basement to retrieve some cocaine and pour it down a drain, according to the criminal complaint. He allegedly told investigators that, when he was finished, he was surprised that no police were in the basement, so he ran into his backyard, where he was arrested.

Robert Korbe, 39, was one of 35 people charged Wednesday in the 27-count indictment that accuses the defendants of conspiring to traffic cocaine and crack from October 2007 through September. Christina Korbe was not named in the indictment.

On Wednesday afternoon, Robert Korbe had a brief appearance in federal court on the drug charges. He was represented by a public defender, but told the judge that he intended to hire his own attorney.

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.
[Get Copyright Permissions]

Last edited:
was it another infamous " no knock" warrant?

They come at the crack of dawn, knowing that is the most likely time you'll be asleep, less than alert, and disoriented, then kick the door, and not expect that a reasonable person won't assume it is a home invasion.

Explain to me why they couldn't wait till the suspect was outside of the property and execute a warrant. The husband was trying to save his own ass, no doubt about it, but IF the mother had reason to think it was a home invasion because of the tactics of the FBI, then IMHO they got what they deserved.

Christina Korbe was with her 10-year-old daughter and 5-year-old son when agents arrived and may have feared for their safety, said her attorney, Sumner Parker.

"It became very chaotic and confusing and based on some other things taking place. ... My client may have taken actions that she thought was appropriate and ultimately called 911 to get local police to her house based on what she thought was happening," Parker told The Associated Press.

He told investigators that, when he heard and saw agents pounding on his front door, he ran to the basement to retrieve some cocaine and pour it down a drain, according to the criminal complaint. He allegedly told investigators that, when he was finished, he was surprised that no police were in the basement, so he ran into his backyard, where he was arrested.

I'll reserve judgment regarding the overall scenario for a later date.
But, one dead federal agent and what's in bold are the most tragic parts of this story that should at the very least make anyone, regardless of gun control view, ask WTF about so many other issues in this case.

I'm sure that someone isn't telling the truth on this.

Kind of hard to feature HE knew it was a bust, and she didn't, enough so that he disposed of the evidence and she shot someone. I'm figuring they both didn't know, or they both knew.

If she actually though it was a burglary, I truly feel for her, as she is about totally SCREWED on this. I see an easy conviction coming, and hubby's comments are going to be part of the prosecution.

Interesting, though, that SHE'S not named on the drug charges - usually the cops will throw everything they can at the suspect in the hope that something will stick.

This could be very interesting... and a possible death sentence for no-knock warrants if she's acquitted. Assuming, of course, that all that we've seen in the article is true.

Robert Korbe said he told his wife to stay upstairs while he went to the door. When he realized it was the police, he ran to the basement, dumped cocaine into a washtub, dressed and ran out the back door before he was arrested, the complaint said.

This was from another article.

If Robert was the closest one to the door and didn't hear them say police, it seems very likely she didn't ether.

I'm getting the impression the police did one of their 'little voice' knock and announce raids.

When will the police learn that acting like criminals(breaking down peoples doors) is a great way to get shot?

When will the police learn that acting like criminals(breaking down peoples doors) is a great way to get shot?

If this one doesn't get their attention, nothing will.

Thanks for the additional info.

That lays out how he could've known and she didn't.

Of course, what I've been wondering all along is about him being a dealer and she didn't know about it. I have to think she knew he was at least a user.

Sounds like Robert Korbe is a hell of family man. Shame on him for putting his family in harms way for trafficking out of his house.

Robert Korbe, however, knew police were at his door.

Oh, this guy is a real winner...

Another angle in the "rest of the story" mold could be that she did indeed think it was a robbery. That is other drug dealers trying to rob them for their stash and cash.

-R

If mom was asleep when the door was kicked, and she is awakened, she hears intruders, they are a threat, she gets her LEGALLY OWNED WEAPON, she calls 911, she has no retreat, she is protecting her children with the children in one ear, the local cops on the phone in the other ear, and she is hearing someone who in her mind is not supposed to be there getting close to her and her children.

What would you do?

A reasonable person in that situation is going to open fire on the perceived threat.

The FBI serves these warrants before dawn for a reason. They hope to use the element of surprise. They could have grabbed this guy anytime. OK it was a big operation and they want to get everyone at once so there can be no destruction of evidence or people fleeing prosecution. But the fact remains if you go kicking doors and Mom thinks her children are in danger, chances are Mom is going to drop anybody she perceives as a unlawful intruder where they stand, and I can't blame her.

Reasonable doubt anyone? Unreasonable search anyone?

Her dumb ass coward husband should have yelled to her that it was the police but he was too busy saving his own ass. Or maybe he did warn her. Either way, I hope they get what they deserve. Whatever that may be.

from the AP

According to the criminal complaint for Christina Korbe, law enforcers arrived shortly after 6 a.m., announced themselves as police and saw a man running inside. Officers rammed the door and broke a window to enter.

Hicks entered first and turned left. A shot was fired, he yelled "I'm hit," and police dragged him outside and called 911.

Christina Korbe later told police she was standing at the top of the stairs and thought she shot an intruder. She called 911 and was arrested while on the phone. Korbe said she never heard police identify themselves.

Nov 20, 11:23 AM EST

Bail denied Pa. woman accused of killing FBI agent

Feared for the children's safety, good one, while hubby is involved in trafficking, their home must have been really safe, with all the level headed adults coming and going.

I am sure there is a lot more to this story to come.

Assume for the moment that everyone is telling the truth, and that the media is reporting it correctly. I fail to note any serious conflict between her version and that of the agents. If I'm asleep upstairs and someone knocks forcefully on my front door while shouting the word "police" at the top of their lungs, is it reasonable to assume that I hear anything particularly intelligible? Chalk up another casualty (or two) in the wonderful war on (some) drugs and the increasing militarization of police operations.

Ken

Regardless of whether someone is guilty of a crime or not, defending oneself and family is a separate issue.

If someone bangs down my door and doesn't announce themselves, I'll be on the phone dialing 911 (assuming I have time) with a 1911 in my hand ready to shoot.

Maybe the officers forgot to announce themselves.

Another angle in the "rest of the story" mold could be that she did indeed think it was a robbery. That is other drug dealers trying to rob them for their stash and cash.

-R

Whats your point? Either way the mother was under the impression someone was making illegal entry into her home.

Sounds like Robert Korbe is a hell of family man. Shame on him for putting his family in harms way for trafficking out of his house.

+1

Don't sell drugs out of your house, and the chances of someone (cops or criminals) kicking down your door with guns will be greatly reduced.

In the federal system you don't need knowledge of the officer's job/status in order to be charged, even with assault. You assault an undercover agent, not knowing it's a FLEO, and it's still assault of a fed. Same with murder.

In essence, she's screwed.

I don't see what everyone's getting so excited about about?

It was just a dog, ehr I mean, agent. He must have gotten in the way or he must have acted aggressively. Either way, she was simply protecting herself. Remember, the most important thing is that "she goes home at night." If there's a little "accident" well that's just the way it goes. It's just a shame she's going to have to pay for his mistake.

How many more lives need to be destroyed? How many more FBI agents need to be killed? The failed War on Drugs needs to come to a close.

The quicker this "war" ends, the better. Now they'll be two children that grow up with both parents locked up. And now, the parents of a fallen FBI agent need to bury their son. Two familes' lives destroyed. For what? Because somebody wanted to get high? Pathetic.

[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom