seecamp

I have one and think it is a good little gun for what it is - a very small back-up in a small caliber that you can hide easily. It's a bit heavy for it's size but that is a reflection of the material it is made from. If you have big, think hands, it might be difficult for you to hold but that is always very subjective.

I finally saw one in person at Collectors last week. Damn is that thing tiny. I'd really like to try shooting one at some point.

Extremely well made but expensive and too heavy for carry for what you get. And, from what I've been told by owners, it's fussy about what you feed it. There were few, if any , really good tiny pistols when the Seecamp was introduced. Today, check out a Keltec for something that is half the weight but accurate and reliable and also is ergonomic especially for a big hand.

Rome

This is your first gun, right? I wouldn't recommend it for the following reasons:

1) It is a questionable defensive caliber (.32)
2) A small gun like that will not be very accurate for a new shooter by virtue of a small sight radius and will discourage you at the range.
3) You'll pay more for the ammo.
4) This is a good gun for carry, but it seems you (like me) live in a RED town which means you are not likely going to be able to carry it concealed.

9mm is cheap to shoot (relatively) and a suitable defensive caliber. It's a good choice for those (like me) who don't want to head the good advice of picking a .22 as a first gun. It is not too snappy. There are lots of good choices in that caliber for less $$. Since you won't be able to carry it (most likely... hope you can) a bigger gun may be better for developing basic skills.

This is not to say that the seacamp is not a good gun, just maybe not a good gun considering your situation.

Good luck,
Matt

I agree. I own, carry and really like my Seecamp. But it is NOT a
beginner's gun. It has no sights and is very snappy for its small size.
For a proficient shooter it is a great deep cover backup gun.

F

This is your first gun, right? I wouldn't recommend it for the following reasons:

+1

The Seecamp is exactly what you do NOT want as a first gun. It is not something that would be fun to shoot. It will be uncomfortable to shoot at best. It will be hard to shoot accurately. It is not conducive to learning how to shoot.

The Seecamp is a very specialized gun -- it is a high quality, very small gun designed for pocket carry when you can't carry something bigger.

If your looking for a reliable small ccw or small back up, look at the Walther PPK's.
Just got my first Walther two weeks ago (PPK380) ,put about 400 rounds through it without a glitch. I love this little gun.

The Seecamp looked too small, and I beleve the .32 caliber is the largest cap accepted in MA

I've had mine since 1999 and it is my "always" gun meaning that whatever other gun I may pack or not, I always have the seecamp with me in a pocket holster from Aker leather.

It is definately not for a beginner though or someone with huge hands. I have small hands and it feels just right to me and points fairly well. As others have pointed out, maybe a larger pistol like a PPK or sig P232 in .380 cal. would be better. If it is your very first gun, then consider a .38 snubbie and practice with low power loads for a while before moving up to +P .38 loads.

Also, as many recommend on this board, see if you can rent various handguns or join a club and get to know people. We gun owners are generally very friendly and are always willing to let people try our firearms.

Extremely well made but expensive and too heavy for carry for what you get. And, from what I've been told by owners, it's fussy about what you feed it. There were few, if any , really good tiny pistols when the Seecamp was introduced. Today, check out a Keltec for something that is half the weight but accurate and reliable and also is ergonomic especially for a big hand.

Rome

And the Kel Tec, while an interesting and cheaper option is not availble in MA.

secamp 32 vs keltec 32

had a keltec 32 when they first came out. it broke twice. both times after firing less than 2 mags of ammo. [crying] returned it and got a seecamp. it conceals perfectly in a good quality pocket or IWB hoster. perfectly reliable when using the perscribed 3 or four types of ammo recommened on the company website. good little plinker but you will not be shooting it all the time. wieght is no problem for they are tiny. love mine [smile]

My Seecamp has never had any feeding problems, even with cheap ammo not on the recommended list (although I only carry with approved ammo). As others have pointed out, it's not suitable for much more than just close-range self-defense... or, at least, not in my hands: I can't keep it on a 12" paper at 50', but that's not what it was designed for. The trigger also has a tendency to pinch (this has happened to me and to a couple of friends). But while it's not much fun at the range, it's still the best "carry anywhere" pocket pistol that I've found in MA. It has replaced my more powerful but bulkier .380 Sig, and I've found that I'm much more likely to have it on me.

If you're in MA, note that the only one you'll find new here is the "California Edition", which costs more than the standard model. The difference is the addition of a teeny trigger safety, which nobody would ever be able to disengage while under duress. Even with the safety disengaged, the heavy DAO action seems sufficient to minimize any chance of accidental discharge, IMHO.

If you want to do yourself a favor just ignore the Seecamp and look at an S+W J-frame, unless you have one already, and you MUST have the smallest auto out there.

I owned a Seecamp .32 for the better part of a year and although it was fine for what it is, I soon realized that I wanted something a lot better. I also didn't like the fact that I had to death grip the thing to keep it from jamming. (and it wasn't the pistol either, as it had just come back from the factory and still had the same problem... it's just that there is not a lot of recoiling mass there to work with.

-Mike

Also consider the NAA Arms Guardian line if you have to have the Seecamp. I have found it to be more reliable (aren't limited to Silvertips) are very similar in size & weight.

As others have stated, I wouldn't go this route for my first handgun (get a Glock 19) and I would also consider your carry habits. The steel guns are much heavier when compared to some of the S&W J frames and the KelTecs.

The best bet is to hit a range and fire as many as you can. It's really the only way to determine which gun you want to own. Otherwise you end up buying guns you end up not liking and then take a hit when you sell / trade them.

Unfortunately, new NAA guns are not available here in MA and used are hard to find. New Seecamps are available, however.

Also consider the NAA Arms Guardian line if you have to have the Seecamp. I have found it to be more reliable (aren't limited to Silvertips) are very similar in size & weight.

IIRC the seecamps aren't limited to just silvertips anymore- as a matter of fact, I think the company now recommends a couple of other brands of ammo for it, as winchester apparently has changed a few things with the silvertip, or so I've heard.

-Mike

I left MA after the bans and headed to NH, so I'm not up to speed on what is / isn't available. Sad to hear that NAA's aren't available - they are high quality guns - if you are willing to carry around the extra weight.

I left MA after the bans and headed to NH, so I'm not up to speed on what is / isn't available. Sad to hear that NAA's aren't available - they are high quality guns - if you are willing to carry around the extra weight.

NAAs are not on the EOPs roster (and wouldn't meet the AG's regulations either), so they are not available. I have an NAA 32. Haven't shot it much, but it has worked when I have shot it.

Last edited:
Love the Seecamp. With me always. Nothing else in MA can conceal in the pocket as well. But, like others have said, if it ain't for carry there is no need for it.

If you know the gun and the ammo (which you should if you are carrying it) they are very reliable. Ammo is expensive and hard to find but then again, you are not shooting it much anyway.

Also very hard to shoot accurately. Very close range weapon.

If you can conceal something bigger (like a j-frame, small 9, etc.) I would recommend that route.

Seecamps are nice but they are a huge compromise. A compromise I need to make. You may not need to.

Back
Top Bottom