• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seecamp 32 california edition

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
My oldest son informed me that he had just bought one of these as his first gun. For whatever reason, he searched this particular gun out. It wasn't something he saw and then bought. He wanted this particular piece.

(Sorry Adam, I know you have one for sale but he didn't tell me he was getting one.)

I don't know anything about them other than they seem to be pretty expensive for a little gun.

Tell me about them please. I'd like to be sure he has something reliable.

Seecamp are very well made little pocket pistols, my uncle carried one for years! I will admit I have heard that the California Model was not their best work BUT even with that being said, I have never really heard anyone knock them, they do what they are made to do, fire well and conceal easily. I don't think my uncle EVER cleaned his and it always fired and always was in his pocket!

Tell him he needs to read the manual.... like 3 times. Otherwise he -will- break the gun. The manual of arms on that gun is backwards compared to everything else out there. (You have to have the mag partially inserted to retract the slide, for one thing... )

It won't eat FMJ, it's too long to fit in the mag. Premium defense ammo only. It used to work with Win Silvertips but I think Seecamp is now telling people to use Gold Dots and Fed Hydras in it instead.

Tell him to use a very firm grip on it when firing. At least with mine, anything else below "painful death grip level" would cause the gun to jam.

One upshot of it is that if he gets sick of it, he'll probably get most of his money back. Seecamp only produces a limited number of the guns every year, so that keeps prices on the
used market higher than they would be otherwise.

After owning one for a year I don't think I could bring myself to ever owning one again... especially not when there are guns like the Ruger LCP out there that can be found for less money (even in MA, despite its lack of compliance) and fire the .380 instead of a .32. My LCP is also far, far, more reliable. It still requires a firm grip, but thats more to keep it from shifting around in your hand than a matter of function.

IMO the LWS32 is a gun you don't impulse buy. You really have to -want- one, and I would suggest that anyone thinking about buying one, try to test fire someone else's first before doing so. There is no middle ground on these guns. The people that have dealt with them either love them for what they are, or hate them. [laugh]

-Mike

drgrant, it sounds like you got a lemon. Ever send it back for warranty work?

I've had one for years and it is a thing of beauty. Just a finely made little thing. Mine has never had any sort of malfunction of any kind and I have practiced with it. Make no mistake, though, this is a gun for up close and personal self defense work and nothing else. I love mine. The most easily concealable gun I own.

109054593_k8Lpa-M.jpg

You really have to -want- one, and I would suggest that anyone thinking about buying one, try to test fire someone else's first before doing so. There is no middle ground on these guns.

Agreed. I have one and would highly suggest that you shot one prior to purchase. This is not a range gun by any stretch of the imagination. Of all my guns, I would say this one is the least pleasant to shoot. The lack of sights definitely takes getting used to.

It is, what it is---a "pocketable" self-defense gun for short range defensive purposes, not much else IMHO.

Pilgrim,
They are very well made guns. Stick with the recommended ammo. I've found in mine that Speer Gold Dots or Winchester Silvertips work well after a break-in period of roughly two boxes.

He should practice with it and be aware that they are only accurate to 20 feet or so. Get associated with the manual and how to field strip this particular gun.

If he likes it after shooting it, remember that I have one of the lasers for it too. The laser is one that gives the setup the shape of a smart phone in his pocket instead of a gun.

drgrant, it sounds like you got a lemon. Ever send it back for warranty work?

I've had one for years and it is a thing of beauty. Just a finely made little thing. Mine has never had any sort of malfunction of any kind and I have practiced with it. Make no mistake, though, this is a gun for up close and personal self defense work and nothing else. I love mine. The most easily concealable gun I own.

Yes, I did at one point, although it's been long enough that I don't remember if it was because of the jamming or that I had busted a spring in it. I don't think the gun was a lemon, though, it worked if you death gripped it. That means that it's either very sensitive or the silvertip ammo wasn't powerful enough. In fairness Seecamp started steering people away from silvertips awhile after I got rid of mine, so maybe they were the culprit, but kinda hard to find that out when the manufacturer says "only use X".

Yes, they are well made, pretty, blah blah blah... It's just that in my case it was a 500+ dollar paperweight that looked nice, that lived in my safe. So I got rid of it, and haven't regretted that choice. Even if it didn't have the death grip issue, I still would have dumped it. In my case it was a bad impulse buy. Knowing what I know now, I would never buy a gun with such a f'ed up manual of arms ever again.

Hell, if I had bothered to read the manual in the store I wouldn't have bought it. [laugh]

Agreed. I have one and would highly suggest that you shot one prior to purchase. This is not a range gun by any stretch of the imagination. Of all my guns, I would say this one is the least pleasant to shoot. The lack of sights definitely takes getting used to.

That was about the only thing I didn't have a problem with. I could actually make decent hits with mine on a paper plate at 25 feet, with little trouble... it seemed to point pretty naturally for being such a tiny gun.

-Mike

Last edited:
I could actually make decent hits with mine on a paper plate at 25 feet, with little trouble... it seemed to point pretty naturally for being such a tiny gun.

'Twas a real issue for me at first. I was so used to regular sights that it took me a bit to get used to not having them.

Pilgrim, check out the Seecamp Forums, Larry Seecamp posts on the site regularly. If you ever have a problem he will take care of it. Also my gun has never malfunctioned and I can hit a pie plate well at seven yards.

This is a protection gun not a target gun hence no sights. When Seecamp was interviewed in American Handgunner many years ago they asked why no sights he said you just stick it in thier belly and pull the trigger.

His website and forum has tons of information to keep your son busy for a while, if he needs a holster I can recommend a few makers.

Jay P.

Mine has never jammed and I think it's easier to shoot than my 642. I don't believe I keep a death grip on it either but I'll pay closer attention to my grip next time I shoot it.

Mine has never jammed and I think it's easier to shoot than my 642. I don't believe I keep a death grip on it either but I'll pay closer attention to my grip next time I shoot it.

I haven't noticed needing a death grip either, but will also try to see whenever I shoot it next. A friend just took the class so he can apply for his permit and wants me to take him shooting, so I'll make sure that's one of the guns we shoot.

I haven't needed the "mike grip-o-death" on mine, and it ran 13 Gold Dots without any problem, even with a lose grip. The Winchester Q4255 flat nose FMJ is supposed to work for practice ammo, I picked some up today and side by side its the same OAL as my gold dots. IIRC the gun requires ammo 0.91" OAL or less. There are a few recommended ammos for it now, they are mentioned on the seecamp forum. I agree with with other people have said, read the manual, then read it again. Once you do it a couple times its not too bad. If he has any major issues, Larry Seecamp's personal number is available to call as well. The California Edition simply has a "safety" on the trigger. Its useless and I keep it in the "off position" Looking at it, I bet you could push it out of its hole in the trigger with a small pin punch and never miss it. Its not something I would ever use, and from what Ive seen on the seecamp site it was put there to meet the requirement and not much else, and they seem to hint that it should be left "off". You might even be able to order another "free state" trigger and install it yourself?

I also have a 32 Seecamp and carry it daily. I think it shoots great. Never had any issues. I agree you search out this gun and don't buy on impulse.

I also have a 32 Seecamp and carry it daily. I think it shoots great. Never had any issues. I agree you search out this gun and don't buy on impulse.

I bought one as an impulse buy at 4 Seasons then realized I could've found it a whole lot less at Collectors. Regardless it's a neat little gun and works well when I have to get all dressed up and keep it in a smartcarry. I've never had a problem with mine but I have a bad track record with taking these little guys apart :) Still thinking of getting rid of it since as Mike said there are better choices now for small pocket pistols in better calibers so now this guy sits in the safe. Maybe if Seecamp made more of the .380's available and got those approved?

I bought one as an impulse buy at 4 Seasons then realized I could've found it a whole lot less at Collectors. Regardless it's a neat little gun and works well when I have to get all dressed up and keep it in a smartcarry. I've never had a problem with mine but I have a bad track record with taking these little guys apart :) Still thinking of getting rid of it since as Mike said there are better choices now for small pocket pistols in better calibers so now this guy sits in the safe. Maybe if Seecamp made more of the .380's available and got those approved?

I picked up a sig 238 in a trade not too long ago. Not cheap, but it really turned out to be a great shooter, very small and thin and well made.

+1 Mine is my back up, I only fire about 20 rounds a year and it kicks but I've never had an issue. I wouldn't have it as my primary carry though.

Yup. I have had the same experience. Tough ammo to find, though.

Took me a while to find it. I was at Cabela's in East Hartford and they had 5-6 boxes on the shelf. That is the only place I've ever seen it though.

+1 Mine is my back up, I only fire about 20 rounds a year and it kicks but I've never had an issue. I wouldn't have it as my primary carry though.

I carry it as a backup as well. I like it for short trips like a run to the store down the street when I need a gallon of milk when I've already taken off my primary and put it away. i didn't find the kick to be too be that bad. I expected worse and was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Try a Walmart (yea I hate them too) one of the ones that sells ammo for the Winchester flat nose whit box.

I purchased like six boxes of the stuff at $20 each.
300 rounds is a bunch for the little Seecamp.

smitty

The first one I purchased (new) I had issues with it jamming (FTF) with virtually every type of ammo. Sent it back to Seecamp and spoke with Larry Seecamp on his cell regading status every couple of weeks, etc... Very nice man and very customer oriented, great service. It took about 6 weeks to get it back and now works flawlessly, I use Gold Dots. Reason it took so long to fix was one of their machines were "down" (last summer). While it was being fixed I purchased another (used, circa 1986, one of the first made and a collector's item) and it worked flawlessly from Day 1. They are great little pieces that pack a punch with hollow points, more like custom made guns. Also, very, very accurate...

They are also incredibly easy to conceal. In dress attire I carry in a rear Akers pocket holster, actuually much smaller than my wallet, and does look exactly like one. Can be carried all the time (legally of course) and is a nice BUG.

I would highly recommend it, and the takedown is very easy, just have someone show him first. The manual could be better but that will pass. Recoil is no problem.

As others have said, they retain their value and the Seecamp Forum is a wealth of information.

Good luck and enjoy...

Ps - Jeff at Sigpower makes a really nice mag extension that is perfect, and does not make the gun "larger" or less concealable.... highly recommend.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom