Scumbag Factor at Gun Shows

Korea too

It's funny, in Japan, the Nazi decorations are more of a nostalgia trip, with none of the connotations they have here. They had this Oktoberfest thing in a restaurant in Tokyo, with Nazi flags and all. They were of course the allies to the Japanese. And since the Japanese learn that they were the good guys in WWII, just minding their own business and helping out the poor underprivileged Chinese in Manchuria, and the Germans were just friendly jolly folks who like to drink beer and march around in uniform.

I saw the same thing in Korea. There was a music store that had more than a few tapes for sale of German marching music. The Taiwanese took some criticism a few years back for using a Hitler cartoon figure to advertise a German made heater. No joke. But the one that really takes the cake is this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/610485.stm

Not sure if they're still in business, but seriously, WTF were they thinking?

But the one that really takes the cake is this:

O. M. F. G.

I cannot even begin to explain how revolting I find that. I'm in absolute shock over the very concept.

Twenty minutes in the Yad Vashem (Holocaust memorial in Israel) will have them scrambling for spray paint and paint scrapers to get that stupid sh*t off the walls. Once they've finished barfing, that is.

ohlord.gif

"Taiwanese just aren't that aware of this history and aren't as sensitive about it as foreigners are."

Yeah that was pretty sick, and to say they don't know the history is just BS, they had to get the pics and ideas from somewhere.

Scumbags at Gun shows

Welcome to the Forum, Gil!

Thank goodness we live in a country where you can have any opinion you want. Feel free to express it here!

I've been to quite a few gun shows myself, and I understand your feeling about this. I see these displays purely from a historical aspect, rather than a political one. As a collector, I have to appreciate the quality, innovation and workmanship of the early 20th century German firearms manufacturers, despite what their leaders did during this time.

The Nazi memorabilia is collectible, and firearms collectors often like to display their firearms in company with these items to provide "background". So they do have a "decorative" function, even if we don't care for the politics behind the symbols. I do not see these types of displays as a celebration of Nazis (who killed millions of Jews), any more than I see a display of Russian memorabilia as a celebration of Stalin (who killed millions of his own people), or a display of American Cowboy memorabilia a celebration of the near extermination of the American Indian.

As for new folks attending shows - well, you're going to see wacko's selling their stuff no matter where you go. Just smile, and keep walking. It's a free country...

My 2 cents.

USMA-82 your answer was Extreamly well written, i dont think anyone could have put it any Better my compliments Sir Just my two penny,s Sheriff dudley

....Ham radio flea markets? Ugh... That's right up there with Chevy Vega swap meets and psychic conventions. If I had a way to advise "how not to get laid" that'd be it. Please tell me you haven't been to very many of those.

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Just to add to the dumb sh*t ideas...

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/10/03/khmer-rouge-cafe.html

And they wondering why their business is tanking....[rolleyes]

I saw the same thing in Korea. There was a music store that had more than a few tapes for sale of German marching music. The Taiwanese took some criticism a few years back for using a Hitler cartoon figure to advertise a German made heater. No joke. But the one that really takes the cake is this:

At the show today, I did notice a bit Nazi flag over at the dealer across from the Powder Keg; when I was there talking with C-pher it caught my eye and I was glaring at it and thinking that it would look really nice through the sights of my M1... and would look even better torn to sh*t after 70 NESers shot it into Swiss cheese...
2up.gif

I know it's a relic of a regime that's on the garbage heap of history... But I still don't like seeing it. I did see one butthead selling replica pins of some sort with a friggin' swastika on it. I didn't stop to ask him what kind of pond scum would buy them and wear them, though. Didn't want to get into a fight about it.

However, other than one rather overweight young guy wearing fatigues, the pondscum factor seemed pretty low today.

When I was there yesterday I was thinking of just how true it was that it must be a requirement not to shower within weeks of attending a show. At one point I was caught behind a guy who was either letting out a continuous fart or had crapped himself[angry2]

Guess there was a higher class of attendee at the show today. Maybe that's since all the Jewish gunnies were at temple yesterday for Yom Kippur... [wink]

At one point I was caught behind a guy who was either letting out a continuous fart or had crapped himself[angry2]

Oh man... I guess you weren't at the show a few years ago where some guy had it running down his leg and tracked it all the way up one aisle.[puke]
I think it was a Wilmington show about 2 years back. I remember some custodian guy screaming "Don't step in it! Don't step in it!"
I thought someone bought a dog into the show until one of the dealers who looked as if he was gonna hurl said it was some old timer who just let go and kept walking along like nothing happened until security grabbed him and led him out.

When I was there yesterday I was thinking of just how true it was that it must be a requirement not to shower within weeks of attending a show. At one point I was caught behind a guy who was either letting out a continuous fart or had crapped himself[angry2]

[laugh2]

Are you sure that wasn't someone firing a machine gun? Oh yeah, two burning smells, but one isn't exactly powder. I guess you could call a crap in the pants a squib load.

Oh man... I guess you weren't at the show a few years ago where some guy had it running down his leg and tracked it all the way up one aisle.[puke]
I think it was a Wilmington show about 2 years back. I remember some custodian guy screaming "Don't step in it! Don't step in it!"
I thought someone bought a dog into the show until one of the dealers who looked as if he was gonna hurl said it was some old timer who just let go and kept walking along like nothing happened until security grabbed him and led him out.

That's by far the worst one yet.... [puke]

Guess there was a higher class of attendee at the show today. Maybe that's since all the Jewish gunnies were at temple yesterday for Yom Kippur... ---dwarven1
I think you meant, but did not say, that because the “Jewish gunnies” weren’t there that the “pond scum” didn’t bother to show up to insult them.

But your statement implies that by removing the “Jewish gunnies” from the mix that the average “class” of the mix is higher. This implies that the “Jewish gunnies” are of a lower “class” then of the average.

And I know you’d be the first to attack that logic! Yes?

Respectfully,

jkelly

But your statement implies that by removing the “Jewish gunnies” from the mix that the average “class” of the mix is higher. This implies that the “Jewish gunnies” are of a lower “class” then of the average.
Actually, he said the reverse but in a rather obfuscated manner.

He posted a statement that the average class of the competitors was higher on Sunday because Jewish gunnies were at the temple on Saturday. This about that carefully and you'll see he was saying the opposite of what you concluded.

While I respect ethnic and religious pride, this touches on the area of politically correct speech, as substituting other religious/ethnic groups for Jewish in the statement would likely be moderated as inappropriate and bigoted speech.

Certain ethnic and religious groups that can make statements that "the level of class is increased because their group was present in numbers" and it's taken as an expression of cultural pride, however, if other groups make similar statements, it's taken as an expression of "hate speech". Just think of how it would go over if gun owners were quoted as saying the high class days were the ones with more Christians at the show.

Last edited:
Yup, Rob caught exactly what I said. And all of you should notice the "wink" smilie - I was joking, so please don't take it too seriously, OK?

The one nerd in full camies wandering around the show looked very much like that rolly-polly "Rambo" guy with Airsoft that often gets posted on Internet forums.

Laughable at best.

I was trying to be polite in case he is a poster here... I try (although I don't always succeed!) to keep words soft and sweet in case I have to eat them.

I read Dwarven1’s original post as:
Guess there was a higher class of attendee at the show today. Maybe that's since all the Jewish gunnies were at temple yesterday for Yom Kippur... ---Dwarven1

He posted a statement that the average class of the competitors was higher on Sunday because Jewish gunnies were at the temple on Saturday.---Rob B.

I saw nothing where Dwarven1 referenced competitors but rather gun show attendees as in his post above. Perhaps it was in an earlier post and I’m sorry if I missed that. I also missed the Saturday vs Sunday implication which of course was the crux of my error.

I now understand that Dwarven1 was saying that the inclusion of the “Jewish gunnies” on Sunday raised the average “class” of Sunday’s attendee over the
non Jewish gunnies of Saturday.
While I respect ethnic and religious pride, this touches on the area of politically correct speech, as substituting other religious/ethnic groups for Jewish in the statement would likely be moderated as inappropriate and bigoted speech.---Rob B.
I have little or no idea what would or would not be “moderated as inappropriate and bigoted speech”. Personally, for the most part, I have no problem with others showing ethnic or religious pride (not something I do myself) and I can see that any positive statement regarding anything is in effect a negative statement of everything else. And I’m sure, as it is human nature, that there are inequities as to what is tolerated and what is not, but I’ll leave it the Moderators to decide.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw nothing where Dwarven1 referenced competitors but rather gun show attendees as in his post above.
My goof. I spend a lot of time on a competitive shooting forum and didn't do the context switch - I meant attendees.

Back
Top Bottom