• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope recommendation for a FAL

Got my fal! Like to get a good scope for long range target shooting for under $1000. 21" barrel. Any recommendations? What are u fal owners using?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the scoped FALs I have shot, I prefer a low-mounted true-1-4X, 30mm tube. Years back I had a 1-4 designed for an AR and it was awkwardly high except from a bench.

Lots of options out there. Longish eye relief is nice, too - so a shotgun scope works nicely, or you could try the new Leupold variable scout (tho it is not a true 1x - it's 1.5x at the low end). The way a FAL stock tends to place you, the extra eye relief is useful for scope placement.

Why just 1-4x? A FAL isn't usually an MOA rifle. More like 2MOA if you've a good one. The convenience of the quick acquisition of a low power scope with a FAL to me is better than the high magnification.

Last edited:
Pics of the FAL man!!

I use iron sights on mine. I had tried a b-square mount with a Bushnell red dot but I didn't like it. Too high. I'm just gonna stick with the irons, and maybe some day put glass on my AR.

I use the iron sights on mine. It's not accurate enough for long ranges, as strangenh mentioned.

Sent from my barely functioning EVO running a horribly unstable beta of CM 10.3

u4uzyta4.jpg

I plan on gettn a magpul stock with the cheek riser... Id really like to get something with good magnification... This if my first .308 rifle and id like to get into something in a .308 bolt action in the near future and swap scopes between the 2.

Ideally id like to hit a 2ft x 2ft gong at 600+ yards with the fal.

I plan on gettn a magpul stock with the cheek riser... Id really like to get something with good magnification... This if my first .308 rifle and id like to get into something in a .308 bolt action in the near future and swap scopes between the 2.

no need for a high magnification to shoot at a 24 MOA@100 target. That's 4 MOA@600. You have realistic expectations. Man sized targets at 600 sounds reasonable for stock battle rifle. 1-6 or 3-9 magnification is sufficient in your case.

Last edited:
no need for a high magnification to shoot at a 24 MOA@100 target. That's 4 MOA@600. You have realistic expectations. Man sized targets at 600 sounds reasonable for stock battle rifle. 1-6 or 3-9 magnification is sufficient in your case.

What do u thing of the acog?

I have an Aimpoint on mine...I always thought a S&B Shortdot would be the ultimate. .It is a battle rifle though, not a tackdriver so anything over 4x would be a waste..Minute of Man is what you are shooting for...Just my opinion though.

You also need a low rise mount, not the standard height mounts.

Pick up some different screws for the rail cover, the ones that came with mine sucked ass, kept stripping them.I got mine at Fastenal.

Last edited:
I like ACOGs but the ACOG is set up for AR type platforms - even with a cheek riser stock on a FAL, I think it will a) sit too high, b) have too little eye relief. You'll poke yer eye out! (LOL)

There are great 1-4x and 1-6x scopes out there. More options if you do not need a true 1x at the low end.

I like ACOGs but the ACOG is set up for AR type platforms - even with a cheek riser stock on a FAL, I think it will a) sit too high, b) have too little eye relief. You'll poke yer eye out! (LOL)

There are great 1-4x and 1-6x scopes out there. More options if you do not need a true 1x at the low end.

I dont want to go low end on this one... Im lookn to spend about $1000. The acog im looking at has bdc for .308. The issue here is i wouldnt swap it to a bolt action in the future. Id like to kill 2 birds and get one scope for the 2 rifles

I dont want to go low end on this one... Im lookn to spend about $1000. The acog im looking at has bdc for .308. The issue here is i wouldnt swap it to a bolt action in the future. Id like to kill 2 birds and get one scope for the 2 rifles
Low end of magnification, not price.

Strange, you need to eat your Cheerios in the morning, so you'll get a little padding on the shoulders. The TA11J-308G has plenty of eye relief and comes with a BDC for the M80 ball.

u4uzyta4.jpg

This if my first .308 rifle and id like to get into something in a .308 bolt action in the near future and swap scopes between the 2.

As has been mentioned.. You should be able to hit a 2*2 plate at 600yds with the fal and open sites..

Your 1k budget would probably be better spent on a Savage in 308 and @500 scope. and you will have a tack driver well beyond 600yds with good ammo.

The Fal is an awesome gun. It is a battle proven extreme conditions 100% reliable rifle. But, what makes the FAL extremely reliable also detracts from it's accuracy.

Strange, you need to eat your Cheerios in the morning, so you'll get a little padding on the shoulders. The TA11J-308G has plenty of eye relief and comes with a BDC for the M80 ball.

Yeah yeah. THHPT. :)

I have used .308/7.62 ACOGs on a FAL. Also used a CQ/T. They are an inconvenient optic on a FAL except from a bench. A newbie shooter's gonna get tagged in the eye. But hey, let's have the guy get what he already decided he wanted before he asked for advice. I look forward to scooping up another discounted optic from the classifieds in a few months.

I'm running a Primary Arms 2.5X optic on my L1A1

7531c406-d3ca-4e1c-ab92-fd36521113b9_zpsc4d35f93.jpg

I've moved it a bit forward since the pic. I've only shot it out to 200 yards, the plate was offhand at 100 yards.

Reticle is etched, shows as black it also illuminates and has a rangefinder and holdover's

CQBexplained2_zps49b68b1d.jpg

That's the DSA rail/dustcover, very solid haven't had any issues with it or the optic.

Not the same price point but that leaves moar $$ for ammo. [smile]

Learn to use a sling and you won't get tagged by the optic. [thinking] [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom