• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

school me on body armor

For those who don't know, the number after the AR is the Brinell hardness (BHA).

M855 will go clean through a 1/4" AR300 and penetrate through occasionally on 1/4" AR400.

AR500 will stop M855 and barely show a slight dimple.

Last edited:
This discussion is getting pretty interesting, especially the misinformation about the silver tip 5.56. What I want to know is what plates do I need to stop .50 BMG?[laugh]

Lol I am getting a laugh at the commandos in here. Just for a no shit there I was. Sver tip was issues when the insurgents started wearing full suit body armor with plates and were driving vbieds vehicle Bourne IEds for non military. Silver tips through car and plates and vests. Also used for puncturing block walls. If you want to read your charts so be it. What you are forgetting is that they were shot a close rang with high velocity ammo. I know it's nice to sit behind your computer and pull videos off line. Also my original post stated that aka and hunting rounds will punch through plates. But my offer still stands on the m1. Let me know and I will get some range time at mass firearms

Lol I am getting a laugh at the commandos in here. Just for a no shit there I was. Sver tip was issues when the insurgents started wearing full suit body armor with plates and were driving vbieds vehicle Bourne IEds for non military. Silver tips through car and plates and vests. Also used for puncturing block walls. If you want to read your charts so be it. What you are forgetting is that they were shot a close rang with high velocity ammo. I know it's nice to sit behind your computer and pull videos off line. Also my original post stated that aka and hunting rounds will punch through plates. But my offer still stands on the m1. Let me know and I will get some range time at mass firearms

You know, guys. He might be right. I saw a NAVSEA seal on that document about the silver-tip shit. I work for NAVSEA. They never get anything right.

If that ammo's designed to be frangible, you bet your ass it penetrates like a ****in depleted-uranium bat out of hell [laugh]

Who loads it?

All in all you can put what ever color you want on a round, the number on the box is what your looking for, im sure there is some silver tiped stuff that dose go through armor and there is crap that dose not,

Hell i have some 7.62x54r thats silver tiped but it means nothing, its the same as the other surplus i have in that cal but just looks bad ass

There is no 5.56 going through 1/4" Level IV plate. You can claim all you want, but the round just doesn't have the energy even at the muzzle, or the power density to do so. I'm sure it would make a nice dimple, but its not making a hole. There are some claims of it going through 1/4" Level III plate on a few forums out there, but no photos or other proof.

But hey, what do I know. I'm just an ME who's manufactured armor plate before and now sells equipment to others for producing it on top of actually shooting at and documenting several tests in threads here on this forum.

Oh if you think the police don't have this ammo think again. I have sen it in person

Some more for Alex.

tumblr_m4ju4mImRB1qcb58yo1_500.gif

lglU0.gif

There is no 5.56 going through 1/4" Level IV plate. You can claim all you want, but the round just doesn't have the energy even at the muzzle, or the power density to do so. I'm sure it would make a nice dimple, but its not making a hole. There are some claims of it going through 1/4" Level III plate on a few forums out there, but no photos or other proof.

But hey, what do I know. I'm just an ME who's manufactured armor plate before and now sells equipment to others for producing it on top of actually shooting at and documenting several tests in threads here on this forum.

Pffffff you don't know shit

You know, guys. He might be right. I saw a NAVSEA seal on that document about the silver-tip shit. I work for NAVSEA. They never get anything right.

If that ammo's designed to be frangible, you bet your ass it penetrates like a ****in depleted-uranium bat out of hell [laugh]

Every time I've dealt with a reference to a NAVSEA publication, it was one last revised in 1983 that you couldn't actually find anywhere.

Here are two pics of an AR450 (Brinell 450) Level III plate shot by me with ATI certified M855 at 50 yards. Impact velocity average was just over 2900fps from my 16" barrel. Bullets actual weight averaging ~64grains when pulled and weighed.

Barely dimpling the plate at 1195 ft-lbs and a hardened steel tip. Tungsten in the M995 rounds is harder, but it's not pixie dust. I doubt it would puncture this particular plate as it's an older heavy design that's measuring .410" average thickness, quite a bit more than my standard Level IV plates which are usually ~.220" average thickness.

2013-04-27000503_zps07152346.jpg

2013-04-27000512_zps2ab7c753.jpg

My plan for the apocalypse is similar to my plan if I'm ever in prison. Act like you're out of your godammed mind and hopefully people leave you alone.

Not to be the baddest guy with the biggest guns?

You do realize that acting in such a manner could lead to revocation of your license, right? :D :D :D

Not to be the baddest guy with the biggest guns?

Naw, I'd rather have them think I'm harmless and then POW, ambushed by my wife from the second floor window. Now, if she can only stop waving the gun around with her finger on the trigger, we might all just make it.

Naw, I'd rather have them think I'm harmless and then POW, ambushed by my wife from the second floor window. Now, if she can only stop waving the gun around with her finger on the trigger, we might all just make it.
[Looking at you quizzically with a cocked head] Have you started that crazy thing already?
Ya gotta put the finger on the killy switch for it to work... and ya gotta wave it around so they see you and how good you look with it.

Sheeeeesh.

OK, now I gotta get the wife up and to the range to knock down this

nevermind..

That would be the worst way to go,

The last thing this person will see is your naked ass dancing around, and as the victim is trying to figure out wtf your doing, POW he is taken out by your wife,

I dont know, but getting killed with the most clueless look on you face for seeing what can never be un seen, is such a cruel death

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom