• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

school me on body armor

Are the AR500 plates super heavy? I'm also a newbie in this area.

Ehh they're not awful. Probably 35 lbs. But with a good PC, they feel lighter. I'd rather be able to take a rifle round to the chest than worrying about weight too much. Unless you plan on hoofing it for miles and miles in your load out.

If you're not going to wear it everyday, I'd skip the soft and have extra hard carriers or just focus on buying more mags and keeping them loaded.

If you and your wife need armor and your rifles, you need a shitload of loaded mags on hand too. Loose ammo is useless in a firefight.

This. Always keep mags loaded.

I've worn my steels all day at a three day Harrington rifle course. It's heavy, but it's not bad. The important thing is to train with it on as often as you can. If you can't get out to the range, wear it around the house for a little while each week.

My steels are 8.5lbs each. I know for a fact they will stop 30-06.

there's a picture of me vacuuming the house in my rig.

are you running with the sides, too? right now i have them out.

Ehh they're not awful. Probably 35 lbs. But with a good PC, they feel lighter. I'd rather be able to take a rifle round to the chest than worrying about weight too much. Unless you plan on hoofing it for miles and miles in your load out.

I agree.
According to AR500 Armor Trauma Plate Each plate weighs in at only 7.5lbs. + 3/4lb for the base coat build up.

Not running sides right now in any of our carriers. I'll probably get some eventually, but for now it's not high on my priority list.

This. Always keep mags loaded.

What good is an empty mag? Every mag I own is fully loaded at all times. [smile] Trying to stock up on some AR mags now. I have 4 for the sks but need more. My gf thinks I'm nuts to keep the mags loaded she doesn't fully get it yet.

What good is an empty mag? Every mag I own is fully loaded at all times. [smile] Trying to stock up on some AR mags now. I have 4 for the sks but need more. My gf thinks I'm nuts to keep the mags loaded she doesn't fully get it yet.

Damn you definitely need more mags. Yeah but I think most people find it difficult to accept that it's necessary to keep your mags loaded and shoot often. My gf doesn't say anything , but I know she knows that loading mags in a defensive situation is a deathwish.

no one calls me out and then sees me not deliver...

vacuum_zpsdf45446f.jpg

have since switched to 3x HSGI TACO pouches so i am rocking 180 rounds on my chest now.

Soft armor is only good for pistol calibers. Any rifle rounds and your talking hard armor. Steel or ceramic. Steel is cheaper than ceramic. Ceramic is lighter than steel. Steel offers better multi-hit protection than ceramic. Steel plates require a liner or soft armor behind it to protect you from spalling. Steel also has a potential for frag off of the plate hit.

Also, soft armor usually expires after 5-6 years. Longer if not used much.

This is an excellent summary.

If you're pressed for cash, buy a condor, three double mag pouches and two steel plates. You can upgrade later, get something now.

Condor Modular Operator Plate Carrier
Condor MultiCam Triple AR/AK Mag Pouch
BulletProofME.com Body Armor - Rifle Plates - Steel Level III

If you have money look on SKDTAC.com. Brands like American Eagle, Tactical Tailor, etc.

Buy the carrier, mag pouches and mags to fill it first. You're better off having ammo and no plates, than plates and no ammo.

If you buy armor, learn to shoot with it on, and repeatedly. It is another world when armored up and shooting, some folks can adapt a whole hell of a lot quicker, some can't. One thing for sure, you need to reestablish your comfort zone wearing armor, especially plates. If you are like some of us here that don't just shoot strong side but shoot offhand, prone and in weird positions, 69 etc, get use to life in armor. In fact wear it and go for a run, then arm up and go for another run, then shoot.

- - - Updated - - -

Armor does nothing for you if your still a friggin target, remember that, it just prolongs the inevitable by a few seconds.

This all you need in a nutshell. Get what you can afford now. One of my carriers is a Condor and I have no intention of getting rid of it. It does what it is supposed to do, just without any bells and whistles. It carries plates securely and holds 3 mag pouches.

Train the way you fight. Armor adds a whole new dynamic to every aspect of fighting, from moving, to check weld, cardio, etc. As a few others said, wear it and get used to the differences.

Maybe I'm just anal, but I rotate my loaded magazines once and a while to save the spring.

using mags is what wears them out, springs can stay compressed and be OK.

^This. Springs get weakened from use. Think of it like doing arm curles. If you just do one curle and have the weight to your chest and keep it there, your muscle isn't being worked. It's the repeated motion that causes it to be worked.

The best advice I heard was to buy according to your probable use, meaning "Protect against what you'll be carrying."

You can invest all your cash in a new $690 stab-proof, taser-proof LEO vest, when Murphy's Law is SHTF within 24 hrs and you're wishing for plates. $650 can get 2 lower-cost solutions with different practical uses.

Things Get Weird (like in Argentina): For $225 (cash, tax-free), 2006 manufactured kevlar vests can be had at Body Armor Outlet (ask Rich for 10% NES discount). Retired police surplus is fine by me assuming they've been stored in a cool/dry place.

Serious SHTF (whatever that means to you): Going green gets access to group buys for discounted high-quality gear - like a Rhino-coated steel plate set for $140, plus an awesome plate carrier for $190 (add $60 of fancy pouches and you're all set).

If things get weird and sh!tty, you can always double-up on these.

So I have started to do some reading on body armor. It is something on the list to get. Don't know what to look for whats good, what are reasonable price points. I don't have a ton of money but wont want a cheap pos since its a personal protection piece.

So school me on lightweight armor please.

Go to Bodyarmoroutlet.com they are in NH, or email Rick Govoni :[email protected]. He's good people, and will steer u in the right direction. They carry all the big names for the right application and budget. He has hooked up alot of people on NES with the right body Armor. You need to watch out for fakes on Ebay, you get what u payfor unless you get lucky. This is obvious but, your paying for your life. Mention NES and maybe get a deal.

Just do it!!!

When I started I bought a basic condor carrier for about 100 bucks Condor Multicam Modular Operator Plate Carrier - MOPC-008 - CONDOR TACTICAL VESTS & CHEST RIGS and a 6 slot 30 round mag pouch (You can buy singles or doubles or whatever you want.)
And I also got in on the AR500 armor buy on here and got a front/back and both 6x8 sides with formed rhino for 185 bucks.
So 300 bucks and I had a full plate carrier and plates that can hold 180 rounds of ammo.
And I put an NES Shooters patch on the front and the back in case shtf these guys may see that through their scopes and maybe not gun me down....maybe...

When I started I bought a basic condor carrier for about 100 bucks Condor Multicam Modular Operator Plate Carrier - MOPC-008 - CONDOR TACTICAL VESTS & CHEST RIGS and a 6 slot 30 round mag pouch (You can buy singles or doubles or whatever you want.)
And I also got in on the AR500 armor buy on here and got a front/back and both 6x8 sides with formed rhino for 185 bucks.
So 300 bucks and I had a full plate carrier and plates that can hold 180 rounds of ammo.
And I put an NES Shooters patch on the front and the back in case shtf these guys may see that through their scopes and maybe not gun me down....maybe...

I did pretty much the exact same thing. I only got the front and back plates though. And I put this patch on it
Lead Farmer Patch

Great, you guys are making me worried. When SHTF apocalypse begins, I might as well just run into battle nekkid. No plate carriers for this kid.

Back
Top Bottom