• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

school me on body armor

[wink]

Explained it to my wife this way: a tactical donkey is multipurpose. He hauls gear & loaded mags.

Did not mention that if currency fails, people will still pay dearly in barter for a donkey show. Open to suggestions on how to bring up the subject...

i'll pay for that today. no better way to start the weekend.

The ar500 plates I have on order are 1/4" thick and around 7-8lbs, there line-x coated for capturing the rounds. I know they can stop a .308 not sure about a 30.06

30.06 AP requires level IV ballistic protection. As of right now virtually all level IV military armor is ceramic armor.

Holy $$$$$

Edit: Not sure why the level 4 is less money than the level 3...

Look at the weight. Edit: Level IIIs are lighter . In the armor market, heavier plates are much less expensive. Light plates are super expensive.

Look at the weight. Edit: Level IIIs are lighter . In the armor market, heavier plates are much less expensive. Light plates are super expensive.

I would expect a super light level 4 to be mucho dinero then. Ok, so what's the optimal configuration here? 2 level 3 plates, back and front, and some side plates?

I have a used kevlar vest from a former LEO and it does expire after a certain amount of time as in the effectiveness of the kevlar is diminished. I suppose we're just talking semantics here..

Not quite semantics. Most manufacturer's recommend replacement after a five year service life (specifically, 5 years after it's placed in service) - with no reference to manufacture date. This sucks, because when you don't wear it every day - it's nice and broken in by then, and likely still has plenty of usable life left in it. I've had a few nice, comfy, well fitting vests that I've had to replace simply because it was 5 years from issue date.

I just wanted to chime in here wih body armor. Pistol calibers are fine but even with the plates it is doubtful they will stop a rifle caliber bigger than 556. The aks overseas smashed right through the plates pretty regularly. My point being is that vests helmets are bullet resistant at best. Also when you have all that ammo and the vest on you are adding 50 pounds to yourself. Just something to think about. Also when you get hit you go down able it alive. The vest does stop the bullet but you body still absorbs the energy. I feel that he best defense is just to keep people away from you wih a scoped rifle. My thoughts

I just wanted to chime in here wih body armor. Pistol calibers are fine but even with the plates it is doubtful they will stop a rifle caliber bigger than 556. The aks overseas smashed right through the plates pretty regularly. My point being is that vests helmets are bullet resistant at best. Also when you have all that ammo and the vest on you are adding 50 pounds to yourself. Just something to think about. Also when you get hit you go down able it alive. The vest does stop the bullet but you body still absorbs the energy. I feel that he best defense is just to keep people away from you wih a scoped rifle. My thoughts

I've personally shot M193, M855 .308 and 30-06 (non-AP) from a plate in the batch I bought. Stopped them all dead, even multiple hits in the same spot.

I've personally shot at least one round of M855 from 50 yards at every plate I have loaded in our carriers. I don't like taking chances with heat treated plate that I'm putting my life on the line with and have 100% confidence each will take a hit and stop the round.

ETA:

We had one plate that was turned into a target. It took literally thousands of rounds of .223 over two years before we got a hole punched through.

Last edited:

Modern IV plates will stop anything you can throw at them from an AK.
Victory Tactical Gear - RTP26225 Level IV Police Shoot - YouTube

You won't always be able to "keep people away from you with a scoped rifle".

That's a fallacy. Modern military ammo will punch through plates as well as many of the hunting rounds. We have silver tip 556 that is designed to punch through block walls and the insurgents did too. I have seen 762 crack plates. Believe what you want.

That's a fallacy. Modern military ammo will punch through plates as well as many of the hunting rounds. We have silver tip 556 that is designed to punch through block walls and the insurgents did too. I have seen 762 crack plates. Believe what you want.

[video=youtube_share;wb-ClokH0ks]http://youtu.be/wb-ClokH0ks[/video]

cm-33566-1511219c1886c7.gif

Hpm I never said 556 would go through plates. What I did say is 556 silver tip will. It's mill spec. So maybe you want to upload the correct video next time instead of green tip ammo. Well if any keyboard commandos want to stand in front of me and wear their vests while I shoot the plates with my m1 I am taking applications. You might want to catch top triggers though where the 06 went through a log then through the ballistic torso next to it.

Actually you said 'modern military ammo' - yeah silver tip might go through an AR500 plate...but how many people have silver tip 5.56? The vast majority of 5.56 ammo that is used here in the U.S. will not go through a steel plate.

Stay away from AR500 plates.

Victory Tactical Gear

Take a look around their website. The Shellback Carrier + IV plates is a great economical option. They are multi-hit IV's, just heavy.

That would be nice for a eventual up grade when the mony is not so tight, but there web sight says they have restrictions on who they sell there armor too, so im not sure if they will sell me the IV armor

Silver tip 5.56 ammo is fragible [rofl]

That isn't punching through shit since its specifically designed not to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom