Saw two Loomis security guards (or armored car drivers) open carrying at the mall.

This was at the Cambridge Galleria at lunch time in the food court. There was two and they were getting lunch at D'Angelos. Both were in their 20's and one was wearing a vest.

I thought it was interesting that nobody gave them a second look even though they aren't cops. Also, their gun choices were interesting as well. One had a Sigma and the other had a cocked and locked Para 1911 (I think it was a Para based on the serrations but it was in a holster).

If that were my job, no way in hell would I carry either of those.

I work for an armored car company and get second looks all the time while in public. On my way to work I usually stop and get a bite to eat, but never while carrying. I don't especially like the attention. As far as the weapon choice goes, I agree.

Last edited:
the sheep in that area most likely see fancy uniform + gun = i, for one, welcome my new armed money-carrying overlords. had they not been wearing uniforms they probably would be strip-searched while face down in the dirt because the sheep got scared.

i wouldn't carry any of those guns, either. back when i worked retail the same guy from the armored car company would come every day to collect the deposit, he carried a S&W 686. i'd take that any day over a para or a sigma.

the sheep in that area most likely see fancy uniform + gun = i, for one, welcome my new armed money-carrying overlords. had they not been wearing uniforms they probably would be strip-searched while face down in the dirt because the sheep got scared.

i wouldn't carry any of those guns, either. back when i worked retail the same guy from the armored car company would come every day to collect the deposit, he carried a S&W 686. i'd take that any day over a para or a sigma.

I'd personally go with a SIG but a 686 would be a good choice also. I'd want reliability.

I think in many cases, armored car personnel buy their own weapons. If you didn't particularly care all that enthusiastically about firearms, and had a choice between buying a $350 handgun vs. a $900 one when on a tight budget, well that may help explain the Para and Sigma.

A few years ago a friend of mine worked for Loomis as an ATM service tech. His job was to fix/service machines. They told him he had to carry and to buy a pistol but spend no more then a certain amount as they would reinburse him. He bought a 9mm Sigma and asked me to give him a few shooting lesson at my club, which I did. He moved to NH and I hadn't seen him in a couple of years. When I did see him I asked him how's it's going with the 9mm and he said the company never provided him with any instructions on firearms and that I was the only one who showed him! Scary stuff.

This was at the Cambridge Galleria at lunch time in the food court. There was two and they were getting lunch at D'Angelos. Both were in their 20's and one was wearing a vest.

I thought it was interesting that nobody gave them a second look even though they aren't cops. Also, their gun choices were interesting as well. One had a Sigma and the other had a cocked and locked Para 1911 (I think it was a Para based on the serrations but it was in a holster).

It's pretty much a free for all with what you want to carry for most companies. there is usually a restriction..i.e- has to be smaller then .50 and larger than .380, and bbl has to be longet than 2 inches.
about 90% of guys that work in the field are gun guys and will carry a different gun eevery day of the week. There are also that 10% who will go to the gunshop and just go with the lowest price tag. Most companies will also offer a company gun. Generaly a S&W .357 revolver.

That particular mall also has 4 different companies coming in daily to do pickups IIRC. so there are always guys in a uniform and a duty belt looking official going in and out of there. The most looks I ever got occured while in the particular store waiting for the slow @ss manager to get me what I need so I could get out of there. Then you get the "Is that a real gun" "Is it loaded" " Are you allowed to use it" " How many people have you shot so far while working" " Can you take that home with you"
And the people that tried to be buddy buddy always ask if its the new Glock 40. Even if you can cleary see that its a revolver. My usual response was " No not real. It's a very realistice replica made to shoot streams of mace, like a squirt gun...and yes I have to use it at least once a day on riff raff. ...and i leave it in my locker at work and take my real gun home...." The last part is usually follwed by peoples eyes widening and asking why I need a gun and are shocked that it's not against the law to own one..........
Ahhhh those were the days.....

A few years ago a friend of mine worked for Loomis as an ATM service tech. His job was to fix/service machines. They told him he had to carry and to buy a pistol but spend no more then a certain amount as they would reinburse him. He bought a 9mm Sigma and asked me to give him a few shooting lesson at my club, which I did. He moved to NH and I hadn't seen him in a couple of years. When I did see him I asked him how's it's going with the 9mm and he said the company never provided him with any instructions on firearms and that I was the only one who showed him! Scary stuff.

This suprisingly goes for all companies except one, which has an indoor range in the basement of their base. They have you qualify and I believe they did some tactical pistol shooting as well. Always fun workin with the new guy who has neverr fired a gun other than for a safety class... then askes you to look at the one he just got to make sure it looks ok, then you drop the mag and rack the slide on his G22, to find out not only did he not have one in the chamber, but he loaded it with 9mm !!!!

I hate to break it to all of you BUT.... I interviewed for a Loomis position once. I was going in there expecting I would get OC/Baton/Pistol training. Well I went through the hoopla of the interview and at the end I asked when I should expect this training. They told me they just want to make sure I can drive stick and I would receive no training. Here's icing on the cake. She said Loomis guards only carry their weapons as a Deterrent... thats right a Deterrent (not diversion thanks vell). You're just suppose to give them the money and get away if you're being robbed. If I hopped on that snazzy gig would I carry a POS weapon? No because if things got a little out of hand it wouldn't matter what their policy was. Luckily I passed on that job and I'm not looking back. This is my experience with Loomis. Other armored car carriers may have different policies. I sure as hell hope they do.

Last edited:
I would spend the extra dough. That can be a dangerous job and my life mean too much to me.

Several years ago I was pretty friendly with this uniform Brockton Cop. Nice guy. He was carrying his recently issued Glock at the time. On his Sam Brown he had a double mag carrier. I asked him how many rounds he had in both his spare mags. "Both", he said. "I only carry one". "That's all the Department issued". "I'm not paying for a spare mag out of my own pocket". When he said this he was working a detail. One of the many he worked each week.

Just because they HAVE to carry a firearm, does not mean they are part of the "gun culture".

I hate to break it to all of you BUT.... I interviewed for a Loomis position once. I was going in there expecting I would get OC/Baton/Pistol training. Well I went through the hoopla of the interview and at the end I asked when I should expect this training. They told me they just want to make sure I can drive stick and I would receive no training. Here's icing on the cake. She said Loomis guards only carry their weapons as a diversion... thats right a DIVERSION. You're just suppose to give them the money and get away if you're being robbed. If I hopped on that snazzy gig would I carry a POS weapon? No because if things got a little out of hand it wouldn't matter what their policy was. Luckily I passed on that job and I'm not looking back. This is my experience with Loomis. Other armored car carriers may have different policies. I sure as hell hope they do.

None of what you're saying surprises me in the least since I never expect an employer to have the well being of the employees in mind. Call me cynical.

I think we're in agreement on certain aspects weapon choice though.

Also, fwiw, my bigger reaction was based on them open carrying.

Last edited:
I think in many cases, armored car personnel buy their own weapons. If you didn't particularly care all that enthusiastically about firearms, and had a choice between buying a $350 handgun vs. a $900 one when on a tight budget, well that may help explain the Para and Sigma.

I'll take all the $350 Paras you can find me.

They may not be this forum's idea of the perfect handgun, but when you get a good Para, it's very good. And the new Sigmas may still have a shit trigger, but they are plenty reliable.

I'd carry an 18" semiauto 12ga with a tube extension at a ready high port.[grin]

None of what you're saying surprises me in the least since I never expect an employer to have the well being of the employees in mind. Call me cynical.

I think we're in agreement on certain aspects weapon choice though.

Also, fwiw, my bigger reaction was based on them open carrying.

It is the employees well being is why they have that policy. I cant believe they were open carrying though, wow.

I'd carry an 18" semiauto 12ga with a tube extension at a ready high port.[grin]
My choice would be a 12 ga. pump, but we seem to share the same sentiment. Actually, in some states, armored car guards are armed with loaded shotguns. MA law, however, specifically prohibits loaded rifles or shotguns from being carried in a vehicle or on any public way unless they are unloaded and enclosed in a case. Except for LE/on-duty military, of course.

This confirms something I always suspected. They carry firearms for show.

On the bright side, at least they let them carry guns.... which is better than most jobs by default. (Unless you're self employed and you can do whatever the hell you want... ) [laugh]

-Mike

I think you meant to say "deterrent" - makes more sense.

I don't doubt that official policy is to hand the money over.

I'll take all the $350 Paras you can find me.

They may not be this forum's idea of the perfect handgun, but when you get a good Para, it's very good. And the new Sigmas may still have a shit trigger, but they are plenty reliable.

I've seen enough bad paras that I could never, ever trust my life to one, unless it was the only thing I could get my hands on, or someone had already wasted the money to replace 50% of the parts in the thing. A ruger P series is a far better "budget" choice than either of the above, especially in 9mm.

-Mike

I've seen enough bad paras that I could never, ever trust my life to one, unless it was the only thing I could get my hands on, or someone had already wasted the money to replace 50% of the parts in the thing. A ruger P series is a far better "budget" choice than either of the above, especially in 9mm.

-Mike

That's exactly what I was talking about. The Ruger would be a consideration as would a used S&W third gen, but that's me.

Well, it seems I got a unicorn, my Para LTC has never let me down, and I have put 700-800 rounds thru her. Granted, I bought it used, and maybe the person who owned it before me had some work done to it, none that I can tell though. She shoots straight and true. She hates cheap Wolf Ammo, no FTF's, just dirty, but so long as she gets a decent quality or better in her throat, it is bang every single time. I don't judge a weapon on how terrible of a round she will shoot, thats like feeding your dog junk dog food and expecting it to be a show dog, fit and trim, you wouldn't do it for your faithful K9, why on gods earth would you do it for your other faithful companion. One thing left to try is reloads, haven't tried any yet, I will report if any problems arise.

And yes, I do use my Para LTC as my carry gun most of the time. I have full faith in her. But let the beatings begin................................................

Back
Top Bottom