Safe Queen - what's yours?

When my Uncle passed away in the late 90s, he left me two revolvers. One was his S&W Model 15-2. It was his service revolver when he was a local police officer back in the early 60s. It's in pristine condition. So much so that when I took it to S&W for it to be looked over during one of their open house days, the armorer there commented about how he hadn't seen one of these in such good shape in a long time. Ever since that time, it's been a true safe queen.

I take it out every once in a while to make sure it's clean, but it never makes it to the range. Not sure why I don't shoot it, but I just don't.

Last edited:
She's not technically a safe queen since I shoot her occasionally, but .303 Brit is too expensive for me to shoot my Savage-manufactured Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk 1* more than a handful of times.

Probably 3 years since I shot the damn thing..

Bushy.jpg

I've got a mint Polish M44 Mosin that was never fired (until I got a hold of it [smile]) but it sees very little range time and looks like it was made yesterday. That and a bring back SVW MB K98 that I was told was definitely German manufacture by a K98 collector on the west coast who offered me $1,000 for it and still bugs me for it to this day.

The last safe queen I had was a COP 4. I traded it to Fred for a SW1911 with Crimson Trace grips (and then sold the grips!). Currently, the only things that could merit the title of Safe Queen would be my Uberti Remington 1860 Army - I hate cleaning up the black powder so I somehow haven't fired it since sometime in '06. Gotta remedy that next year.

Maybe I'll take it to the range on New Year's Day.

If a safe queen is a gun you won't shoot then I only have one. A .22 Hamilton Model 15 Boy's Rifle that belong to my Grandfather. Made of almost all stamped steel with a brass barrel.

Last edited:
Pipes...nice piece. Not too many of those survived, did they?

And not all that many were made in the first place!

It sure is pretty. I'm not sure I could bring myself to fire it even if I could find the ammo. .32 Extra Short, IIRC.

I'm pretty sure it would do more damage if you actually punched someone with this as ballast for your fist, rather than fired it. It has no practical purpose whatsoever even in the 1890's. [laugh]

My Safe Queen-I only have two of them, but they are the only material objects I couldn't stand to loose. I'd die to keep them.
First, My grandfather's LW 1946 Browning A5 16ga shotgun. Last time I used this shotgun I shot some clays with it and it broke the firing pin. So it had go to a trusted gunsmith for repair. That shotgun is all I'm about being that it was my grandfathers pride and joy.
Second, A NIB (unfired) 1970 Browning A5 12ga. shotgun. It's 100% perfect, and from the same month and year of my birth. I got it for the small fee of $1,300 about five years ago. Smething special about the fact that when I'm 50 it will be 50. Only gun I bought with the idea that I might never shoot it.
EVERYTHING ELSE I DAMN OWN I'LL SHOOT!

i have an original 1873 Winchester rifle. probably the most valuable gun i have. still shoots as good as it did when it was new..

Not quite a safe queen (I've shot it), but:

Colt Model M (1903 Pocket Hammerless, .32 ACP); 99%; original (two-tone) magazine; original box; original instructions.

Attachments

• ColtMBox (2).jpg
    ColtMBox (2).jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 49
  • ColtM (2).jpg
    ColtM (2).jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
The closest thing I have to a safe queen but it gets its share of use. It spends its time to and from the range and in the safe in a felt bag, though. Its a 1971 Walther PPK in .22 LR, quite rare and they go for around $800 in the wild. This one isn't for sale and won't be.

ppk.jpg

PS -- awesome thread! If Fred finds it though, it's all over!

Last edited:
my baby...

Here she is. My colt series 70 done by Greg Derr. I waited so long for this gun, but it was so worth it! I really couldn't be happier with it.

I bought the gun, in very nice original shape, from Viper on this board about a year ago.

She is now actually wearing ivory grips with the silver colt medallions, but Greg photographed it with the original colt grips before I got them. Fortunately, she won't have to be a safe queen for long - this girl is coming out to the range once a week when the weather permits.

Attachments

• 1_op_800x550.jpg
    1_op_800x550.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 2_op_800x561.jpg
    2_op_800x561.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 3_op_800x531.jpg
    3_op_800x531.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom