Safe Queen - what's yours?

OK I'll start here's my Safe Queen.

Les Baer Custom .45 Model Concept V. With ivory grips from Nutmeg Sports and has been hard-chromed by Tripp Research, Inc.

baeruse.jpg

I'd be the one crying if I ever did shoot it. I did put around 500 rounds through it when I first got it (pre-ban days). Now I take her out, wipe her down and treat the ivory grips twice a year.

I'll be right over...Just watch the gold watch as it swings back and forth...

"Mike, your eyes are getting heavy, you're feeling sleepy....When I snap my fingers, you'll wake up, drive MassMark and your Les Baer to the range with 1,000 rounds of .45, then buy him lunch and a case of Smithwicks".... 3, 2, 1...<snap>

[cheers]

I don't have any hand gun safe queens.

Actually, I don't have any safe queens. I draw a distinction between a gun I want to shoot, but don't for fear of wear and a gun I just never get around to shooting. The later one is not a safe queen.

For example, I've got an 870 express I bought for $225 15 years ago that I haven't used since I got my benelli for duck hunting. Is that a safe queen? If it is, its the unsexiest example I could imagine. ha.

That baer is gorgeous. I have a LB Premier II, but its not a safe queen, and its not nearly as nice as that.

I tend to go through a rotation to prevent safe queen syndrome. I open up the safe and think to myself 1. Has it been a while since I shot it 2. Can I afford to shoot it? or 3. Do I have ammo for it. If the answer is yes to these questions then I shoot it.

I think the closest thing I have to a safe queen is my P22. I don't shoot it because I've been thinking of selling it since the last time I cleaned it, and I don't feel like cleaning it again unless I'm not gonna sell it. Sometimes I'm indecisive, lol.

I've got a nice old Colt Python I picked up for short money that I'm not sure I've ever fired.

My Les Baer .38 Super comp gun however has thousands of rounds through it.

Currently everything I own is a safe queen. I have been on workers comp since the beginning of November and fairly broke before then. I think the last time I went shooting was over a year ago.

For long guns it's my Model 70 super grade 30-06....just don't hunt out of state with rifles anymore. I mostly bowhunt now....

Pistols...my G32C which only has 30 rounds thru it.....just enjoy shooting the RIA and G30SF 45 ACP's a lot more.....plus I'm set up to reload that too....

Last edited:
I'd be the one crying if I ever did shoot it. I did put around 500 rounds through it when I first got it (pre-ban days). Now I take her out, wipe her down and treat the ivory grips twice a year.

Dude, it's just an LB. Take that sucker out and fire it. [grin] It was meant to be shot.

Course I'm the wrong person to talk about safe queens. Don't give me the .45 ACP Luger.... I will shoot it, until it breaks.

My P7M8 is as close as I get, and I even shoot that several times a year, and would not hesitate to carry it if I had nothing else I liked carrying.

The only way I'd ever have a safe queen is if a friend needed me to hold onto something for them, I would respect their wishes.... but if I was the owner,
nothing would go unfired. Nothing. And if it could not be fired (for whatever reason) I'd sell it and buy something I could fire. Guns that don't work have little to no place in my safe.

-Mike

I'll be right over...Just watch the gold watch as it swings back and forth...

"Mike, your eyes are getting heavy, you're feeling sleepy....When I snap my fingers, you'll wake up, drive MassMark and your Les Baer to the range with 1,000 rounds of .45, then buy him lunch and a case of Smithwicks".... 3, 2, 1...<snap>

[cheers]

[rofl]

IMI Uzi carbine, .45ACP with a way low s/n. Probably less than 100 round count. Brought it out, shot a few mags through it, cleaned and stored. Maybe a nice gift for my daughter someday.

Mike1911: How do you treat those ivory grips? I just bought a pair from Nutmeg for my Derr Series 70....

Mike1911: How do you treat those ivory grips? I just bought a pair from Nutmeg for my Derr Series 70....

You should have received a sheet explaining how to treat them.

Easy really. It's important to do this so they will not get dried out and start to crack. About twice a year remove them from your pistol. Soak the grips in mineral oil or sperm whale oil (if you can find it) for a few hours or overnight. I use a tupperware container and pour in enough oil to cover the grips. Wipe off excess oil and put back on gun.

Over time, they will take on a patina.

No safe queens here. I don't/wouldn't own anything I can't fire. I can't afford to be a "collector of fine firearms". Even if someone gave me a fine collectible, I'm not sure I could go without firing it unless it was guaranteed to give me a substantial boost in retirement income by leaving it unfired.

8mm Persian Mauser. Unissued, all matching serial numbers with bayonet, scabbard, correct sling and test target from August of 1934. I haven't, nor will I, put a round down range with it.

I have one mag through a GSG-5 that after the lawsuit I wont shoot anymore. A metal receiver Kel-Tec 9 mm. Last one is .32 Derringer with 4 rounds through it, in 1981 to test it and last year when I bought it to test. Nothing fancy but I think will be hard to get in the future. Maybe not, the more I think about it, I should just use them till they break. I might go right now.

The only way I'd ever have a safe queen is if a friend needed me to hold onto something for them, I would respect their wishes.... but if I was the owner,
nothing would go unfired. Nothing. And if it could not be fired (for whatever reason) I'd sell it and buy something I could fire. Guns that don't work have little to no place in my safe.

-Mike

Amen. Although if I owned something I couldn't fire that still had historic value, or just looked pretty, I'd be looking to mount it on the wall.

Back
Top Bottom