Safe Queen - what's yours?

No safe queens here...just a bunch of pawns. I'm relatively new to shooting and only choose firearms that I know I'll be using at the range, in the woods, or on my person. That said, once I'm rich, I plan on getting a 1911 of such awe inspiring quality that it will be forever stored behind glass.

My Safe Queens

Love the old "broom handle"

It's a so-calle "fixed sight cone hammer" version.
She was born in 1897/98 and has not been tampered with.
I've never shot her and never will, but have shot the Navy P.04 and the Artillery P.08 before they got a cleanup and went to the safe.

Correction, I will never sell my PPKS because I wouldn't F#@K someone like S&W would with that piss pore excuse of a gun. Sorry just ranting!
I love my PPK/S. Was it one of the recall ones ??
I've got three safe queens.
A Ruger P89 9mm that hasn't seen ammo in it in over 10 years. I bought it before the first AWB went into effect.
A Savage 110 .270 with a Leopold VX-2 3x9 scope.
SKS unfired still packed in cosmoline that I also bought before the AWB went into effect.

My precious.... one of a kind.

floral_J22_007.jpg

Gleep! Is that actually what it appears to be - an engraved JENNINGS???
shocked.gif

I was just kidding. It just struck me as funny that you are talking about treating your ivory grips with sperm whale oil since both animals they are sourced from are on the endangered species list, like the spotted owl.

I just looked through my safe and I shoot everything in there except for a 1913 Crack Shot 26 that belonged to my grandfather. The only reason I don't shoot it is rust in the barrel. I guess its the "anti-Safe Queen"

001-18.jpg

Last edited:
Gleep! Is that actually what it appears to be - an engraved JENNINGS???
shocked.gif

Your eyes do not deceive you! AFIK it's one of around 20 in the world today. As pictured, it was unfired and one of a kind. But since then it has gone through a box of CCI's. And it hasn't blown up!

A major $115 investment. [shocked]

CambridgeGuy, I love the Colt. Gred did a nice clean job.

Thanks - I wanted to really preserve the original look and feel, but still have a heavily modified gun. Greg really guided me well in choosing parts and modifications that made sense.

Your eyes do not deceive you! AFIK it's one of around 20 in the world today. As pictured, it was unfired and one of a kind. But since then it has gone through a box of CCI's. And it hasn't blown up!

A major $115 investment. [shocked]
WHY? Who spent all that time gilding a dandelion? I mean... really. Who makes a presentation-quality Jennings??

Have a set of the stainless Ruger Bisleys all tucked away untouched including consecitivly numbered ones in .357 magnum. There's a mint full HK4 set with all paperwork and the extra 3 barrel set right along side the minty .45 cal P9S. Just added a brand new very low serial number Ruger Trap Model shotgun to the top shelf also.

Rare and/or uncommon special runs guns I can understand but why take a regualr gun, fancy it up and then tuck it away?

Currently everything I own is a safe queen. I have been on workers comp since the beginning of November and fairly broke before then. I think the last time I went shooting was over a year ago.

Dry fire! Do what you can to keep your skills up. [grin]

The only way I'd ever have a safe queen is if a friend needed me to hold onto something for them, I would respect their wishes.... but if I was the owner,
nothing would go unfired. Nothing. And if it could not be fired (for whatever reason) I'd sell it and buy something I could fire. Guns that don't work have little to no place in my safe.

Exactly. A pretty gun to me is one with tons of holster wear, dings, scratches, and thousands of rounds down the barrel, all while still running like a champ.

To me a gun is a material posession, a means to purchase life in unforgiving situations, which also makes it expendable to me.

Shiny guns are cool, but if I can't take it through the paces I'm not interested.

I have one mag through a GSG-5 that after the lawsuit I wont shoot anymore.

Huh? Why not?

So, when you are done, do you buff them with a Spotted Owl?

Simply hilarious. [laugh]

Who makes a presentation-quality Jennings??

Heck, I didn't think the metal would be strong enough to engrave.

Nothing exotic, just a Sig 228. As my other one is my favorite to shoot and carry, I just wanted a back-up for when the rattley old girl can't be used any more. Thet're not that easy to find around here.

Dry fire! Do what you can to keep your skills up. [grin]

Exactly. A pretty gun to me is one with tons of holster wear, dings, scratches, and thousands of rounds down the barrel, all while still running like a champ.

To me a gun is a material posession, a means to purchase life in unforgiving situations, which also makes it expendable to me.

Shiny guns are cool, but if I can't take it through the paces I'm not interested.

Huh? Why not?

Simply hilarious. [laugh]

Heck, I didn't think the metal would be strong enough to engrave.

GSG....The dry fire thing....I've been told not to dry fire, but use snap caps instead. Does it actually make a difference, or was someone just trying to sell something?

Nothing exotic, just a Sig 228. As my other one is my favorite to shoot and carry, I just wanted a back-up for when the rattley old girl can't be used any more. Thet're not that easy to find around here.

I stumble across P228s all the time. You can transfer them in too, if you get one that's pre-98. (Which ends up being a lot of them. )

-Mike

Mike, never fired a P228...are they that much different/better than a P229? That is what I have.

I also have a 229. The228 is just a tad lighter and I like the balance just a little more than the 229.

Mike- I'd been been keeping a eye out for a couple years. Until last May when I picked the last one up, I was always told "we just had one last week". Timing is everything right?

GSG....The dry fire thing....I've been told not to dry fire, but use snap caps instead. Does it actually make a difference, or was someone just trying to sell something?

I think it's a good idea to use snap caps if you can, and they certainly have value for other kinds of training, but most modern centerfire quality firearms won't be hurt by dry-firing.

I didn't mean specifically to use or not use snap caps, I just meant not having ammo doesn't mean that you can't practice.

I think it's a good idea to use snap caps if you can, and they certainly have value for other kinds of training, but most modern centerfire quality firearms won't be hurt by dry-firing.

I didn't mean specifically to use or not use snap caps, I just meant not having ammo doesn't mean that you can't practice.

Thanks for the tip. I have been dry firing occasionally while the kids are at school. As soon as I have some extra $$ I will rejoin a club for the real thing. I just need a place to try out some loads so I can work them up in my spare time, which I have quite a bit of lately.

Hovbuild ~ That’s one great looking Colt Woodsman Match Target you have there. Can you possibly give us a little more info on the Woodsman? Thanks.
  • When you received it and how?
  • What it may have cost at the time you purchased?
  • How often do you shoot it?

I bought it last year from a friends friend. He has a "bunch" of them he has been collecting for many years. Trying to get him to sell one is like trying to part the Red Sea. :)
He came over to my house one day and brought a couple of these with him just to show me some of his top condition ones. I was drooling and he caved.... I paid 800 for this and have not regretted it...
It was made in 1967 and he had it "stored" with dozens and dozens of other fine woodsmen. This one he acquired, I think, in the late sixty's. It looked unfired but I have run a few mags through it and it is a great shooter.
Sometimes I think I want to sell it but when I look at it I change my mind. I have tired eyes and have a dot on a smith 41 with a bully barrel that smokes! But this gun is just a step or two behind the accuracy of my everyday .22.

Thanks for asking, Bill

[wink]
Being an old fart, I don't know how to load pictures, nor will I ever learn in all probability. But back in 1980, when I could still see, I won one of the standing revolver classes at the IHMSA championships. I won a Wildey pistol in 45win mag. I was told at the time that it was the first one released to the public. The serial number is IHMSA 1980. In 2010 it will be 30 years and I've never fired it.
When Wildey was in Cheshire Conn., I used to go down there and shoot some of his stuff right at the factory. He was going to come out with a 9mm Wildey mag too but that never happened.
In one of the pictures from an earlier shoot, I did see a Wildey.

Some guy who belongs to North Grafton Fish, Game & Bird Club brought one of those to my Lodge's Turkey Shoot. Used it, too. Didn't seem terribly reliable; apparently you have to adjust it for the particular ammunition (and it wasn't adjusted right that day), or so he explained it to me.

Back
Top Bottom