• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Safe in garage

45Badger

NES Member
New house does not have great or easy basement access to move a heavy safe, so I left it in garage.

When I open it up, gun metal feels very cold to the touch. With colder temps, I’m concerned about condensation/rust. I have one goldenrod element in there now. Should I add another? Any other solutions you guys have used?

I could be wrong but I believe it’s the temperature differential that will get you. Meaning if you guns are warmer than the temp I’m the safe then you will get condensation forming on them and vise versa. You probably need a larger golden rod or more than one. Maybe even a few that you could secure on different levels in the safe like under a shelf with double sided tape or somehow zip ties around the feet? Hopefully someone who has a garage safe chimes in.

This is your answer. I have the same problem. So i sold the big safe and got a couple of these. Might pick up a third one. And there on sale !!!
Take the door off. And 2 guys can move it into the basement with a dolly and a strap no problem.

Yeah, I would rather have my guns in a safe in a conditioned environment even if it requires having a lighter/"cheaper" built safe. My current Fort Knox safe weights 1,100 pounds empty, at my next house I am going with something much lighter, plus, like you, my thinking has changed and I would rather have a couple smaller safes than one large one.

Detached unheated garage? You'll get rust 100%. What happens is the guns get cold over night, if you open the safe in the morning warm air rushes in all the moisture in the air will stick to the guns. Once the inside of a safe gets wet it's really hard to reverse. You could heat your garage to mitigate this but that's a sure waste of money.

Easy solution? Give all your guns to me.

See also Moisture in safe
I could be wrong but I believe it’s the temperature differential that will get you. Meaning if you guns are warmer than the temp I’m the safe then you will get condensation forming on them and vise versa. You probably need a larger golden rod or more than one. Maybe even a few that you could secure on different levels in the safe...
Condensation forms when warmer, wet air comes in contact with cold surfaces.

Goldenrod works by slightly warming the entire contents of the safe -- the metal, the wood, the air. Locate the rod at the bottom of the safe for convection.

While sold as a "dehumidifier", these do not actually remove any moisture, just keep it suspended. There are options which actually remove moisture; tend to be costlier -- not just initial price, but maintenance and energy consumption.

New house does not have great or easy basement access to move a heavy safe, so I left it in garage. When I open it up, gun metal feels very cold to the touch. With colder temps, I’m concerned about condensation/rust. I have one goldenrod element in there now. Should I add another? Any other solutions you guys have used?
Here's the fix if you must leave that safe in the garage:

Last edited:
My safe is also in an unconditioned space. It gets radiant heat from the rest of the house though but not much. I have a large Golden rod and I use rechargeable dehumidifiers. The most important thing though is this Govee wireless monitor. It gives me piece of mind knowing the temp and humidity is in check. For $28 it's a really affordable.
Screenshot_20231112_081912_Govee Home.jpg

I have a modular safe - Snap Safe. I think it's Chinese-made, but it does the job and would - IMHO - deter the average street thug. A determined thief with both time and a torch - not so much. I needed a modular safe as I wanted the safe in the upstairs bedroom and there was no way to get a full unit up our stairs.

The fire protection on the safe is actually very good, and far superior to just about all complete safe units, if that is something that concerns you. Most safes just use a few sheets of dry wall in the safe wall. The snap safe actually uses big thick thermal blankets that are really quite beefy and nice.

Kind of cool getting to check out all the components when you assemble it.

I would suggest the mechanical lock over the keypad. IMHO, more secure. The keypad can be removed to change the batteries exposing the ribbon cable to the motor that actuates the lock. I suspect if one could identify the applicable wires and apply a charge, from a battery pack, for example, they could open the safe. I wish I got the dial combo instead.

New house does not have great or easy basement access to move a heavy safe, so I left it in garage.

When I open it up, gun metal feels very cold to the touch. With colder temps, I’m concerned about condensation/rust. I have one goldenrod element in there now. Should I add another? Any other solutions you guys have used?
you need to put that electric goldenrod into the safe to maintain a bit more stable temperature. otherwise the condensate on steel will do real damage over time.

You're going to want to regulate that temp better, it's going to do bad things to the wood if you just leave it.

In addition, I doubt you'll be able to pull enough moisture with just a rod, it's meant for a stable temp.

The issue is not RH in your safe, it's dew point (yes, they are directly related).
The golden rod increases temperature in the safe to keep everything above dew point so it doesn't condense.

Golden rod plus a couple of pounds of dessicant is a good, simple method of control

Thanks guys. I’ll put in another rod. And I ordered some bulk desiccant from Amazon.
I use these. It comes with two so I keep one in the safe and rotate the dry one when needed. I've used the plug in dehumidifiers but I've found these to dry better and faster. These use heated air to dry them vs the plug in ones that just use heat. Plus these look nicer. They kinda look like portable speakers.

Mini Dehumidifier, Afloia Gun Safe Dehumidifier Rechargeable Cordless Dehumidifiers with Heating Base, Quiet Small Portable Dehumidifier for Small Space Room Bathroom Closet Car RV Boat, TOPZ 2+1 https://a.co/d/1ifEP9N

The issue is not RH in your safe, it's dew point (yes, they are directly related).
The golden rod increases temperature in the safe to keep everything above dew point so it doesn't condense.

Golden rod plus a couple of pounds of dessicant is a good, simple method of control
Yeah I keep an eye on both via Govee. I just make sure the temp doesn't approach the dew point and I'm good. I like RH though because my body understands how that feels. If it's been a particularly humid stretch of days then I make sure to check my dehumidifier to see if it needs to be recharged.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I understand you don't want your safe to be too dry. Something to do with drying out wood stocks/furniture.
Screenshot_20231112_172442_Govee Home.jpg

do NOT leave an oxyacetylene torch, plasma cutter or gas powered chop saw right next to your safe. all my cutting tools are locked up.
Semi-related, but dont leave ladders in the yard either.

Bonus tip, if you have a second or third vehicle that may be sitting home when no ones there, keep the keys somewhere not easily found by thieves

My safe has been in my unheated garage for 30 years. Never had any rust.
Years ago, I remember one of my classmate's dad kept an ancient bolt action single shot .22 rifle and a Crosman 760 pellet gun in a storage shed next to the garage at the family home. I got to fire both of them on many occasions and never noticed any rust. They were cleaned and oiled after each use.

Not quite on the same level but the SecureIt stuff is easy to put anywhere. I’d say depends on how secure your home is in general. Have you beefed up hinges, strike plates; how much glass; visible external cameras, etc.

Yeah I keep an eye on both via Govee. I just make sure the temp doesn't approach the dew point and I'm good. I like RH though because my body understands how that feels. If it's been a particularly humid stretch of days then I make sure to check my dehumidifier to see if it needs to be recharged.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I understand you don't want your safe to be too dry. Something to do with drying out wood stocks/furniture.
View attachment 816176
Wood and leather care about too low
Everything cares about too high
40-60% is best

I would just pay someone to move it in the basement you'd most likely have to pay someone to put a cheap safe in as well so why spend twice?

My safe is also in an unconditioned space. It gets radiant heat from the rest of the house though but not much. I have a large Golden rod and I use rechargeable dehumidifiers. The most important thing though is this Govee wireless monitor. It gives me piece of mind knowing the temp and humidity is in check. For $28 it's a really affordable.
View attachment 816008
Those Govee units are nice and cheap enough that you have minimal risk if they stop supporting their servers.

Not quite on the same level but the SecureIt stuff is easy to put anywhere. I’d say depends on how secure your home is in general. Have you beefed up hinges, strike plates; how much glass; visible external cameras, etc.

I'm doubly suspicious of any gun safe that does not prominently mention the thickness of the steel.

Back
Top Bottom