• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moisture in safe

basscatfrank

NES Member
I have a large (40+) safe that I'm starting to see moisture in. I noticed the other day that some of the papers I keep in the safe felt damp. I have a goldenrod in there and never had a problem before. Could it be that because of it being full that the heat isn't circulating enough? Would adding a second dehumidifier help? Thoughts?

I would start with a humidity sensor so you take the guess work out. I have a simple digital thermometer with humidity readout. I like to see 50% or lower.

I wonder why no one ever puts a small computer fan. You can easily screw it to the safe and the cables are tiny, so it would require a tiny hole that can be sealed.

I never tried it because I don't need it, but I thought about it.

Last edited:
I take every dessicant pack out of everything I buy over all the years and keep tossing them in my safe.
I thought I was the only one that did this, then I inherited an old guys guns a few months back, went into his safe and there's dessicant packs lying everywhere, had a good laugh,

In my case I run a dehumidifier in my basement 24/7. I don’t care how many damp rids or goldenrods you have in your safe, if you have a damp basement the moment you open the safe door all that moisture goes in

This - they work great.
I have one and an extra 8 lb jug of desiccant that I use to swap out. Once the safe desiccant is wet, it gets poured into a tray and stuffed into the garage toaster oven and the container is refilled with fresh stuff. Once the stuff in the toaster oven is dry, it goes into a ziplock freezer bag for the next exchange cycle.

For a really large safe (small closet) there are actual micro-sized dehumidifiers with either a tank or a drain hose. These work, but draw 300-600W while active.

I have a large (40+) safe that I'm starting to see moisture in. I noticed the other day that some of the papers I keep in the safe felt damp. I have a goldenrod in there and never had a problem before. Could it be that because of it being full that the heat isn't circulating enough? Would adding a second dehumidifier help? Thoughts?
Have you recently added anything (like papers, or a document firebox) which might be a source of humidity?

Goldenrod doesn't do anything to remove moisture, it just deters condensation by raising the temperature above the dew point. Damp rid or another form of desiccant can help, but needs regular maintenance or replacement (e.g. the plug-in "rechargeable" desiccants, which just skip the oven/microwave step).

I take every dessicant pack out of everything I buy over all the years and keep tossing them in my safe.
I thought I was the only one that did this, then I inherited an old guys guns a few months back, went into his safe and there's dessicant packs lying everywhere, had a good laugh,
After seeing how quickly those absorb humidity inside ziplock bags, even inside 50 cal boxes (using the ones that change collor), I assume they are completely useless by the time you get a product. Specially a product that is not sealed air tight.

Related question. Anyone have a thermometer / hygrometer that includes WiFi support? Like to be able to see temp directly instead of via cam. We have WiFi. So we need WiFi connectivity not just BlueTooth.

Want it for the room, not inside safe.

Last edited:
Related question. Anyone have a thermometer / hygrometer that includes WiFi support? Like to be able to see temp directly instead of via cam. We have WiFi. So we need WiFi connectivity not just BlueTooth.
Govee makes WiFi and BT models, either way I don't know how well 2.4gHz will make it through a metal box.

The +$120 SECURAM "Safe Monitor" gets around this with a long antenna wire to the outside of the safe. Requires WiFi and their proprietary cloud-tethered app.
1704385352135.png (Yes, that "Liberty" and that "SECURAM")

Maybe roll your own?

plus
would let you stick a sensor inside the safe, on a pigtail that runs through the port for your goldenrod/lighting to a transmitter on the outside of said metal box.

I just run dehumidifiers to keep the out side environment in check
Also use VCI emitters
I dont open my safe all that often
The most used items Are in a small locked cabinet and the handguns in use go into a security cabinet.
The frequently used items are always getting a wipe down

Damp rid is corrosive , even the vapors is can give off can be corrosive
I should have been more specific, I just meant the silica stuff, not DampRid by name. Didn't realize that stuff was different. I run these

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240104_205658_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240104_205658_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 2
Not sure how a goldenrod won't work. Unless a river runs through it
Well, it doesn't remove high moisture. It just heats it up. I was going to install one myself until I read the negative reviews of these things on Amazon. I suggest anyone considering one do the same.

Well, it doesn't remove high moisture. It just heats it up. I was going to install one myself until I read the negative reviews of these things on Amazon. I suggest anyone considering one do the same.
Goldenrods do work, assuming there is only a bit of extra humidity, won't overcome a very humid environment.

Micro-sized dehumidifiers (+300W) actually remove the water from the air, dump it outside the safe via a drain tube. Not cheap.

I guess my question to that scenario is how did the interior of the safe become a high moisture environment?? Seems like an odd scenario to me. The door on mine is gasketed I assume for the fire rating but it seals well enough for moisture too I would guess. My safe is in the basement where water has run across the floor in the past. I'm just not seeing how unless you keep your safe in the yard or something

Goldenrods do work, assuming there is only a bit of extra humidity, won't overcome a very humid environment.

Micro-sized dehumidifiers (+300W) actually remove the water from the air, dump it outside the safe via a drain tube. Not cheap.
They do sell and they seem to work well enough for some or they wouldn't still be in business. But reading the negative reviews, I came to the realization that one probably wouldn't work all that well for my needs. I am better off monitoring and controlling the humidity external to the safe, despite the sometimes high cost of doing so.

Back
Top Bottom