• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Safe in garage

I'm doubly suspicious of any gun safe that does not prominently mention the thickness of the steel.
If a Massachusetts gun owner only has a few el cheapo hunting rifles or shotguns, they will probably choose an el cheapo Stack On or Homak thin steel gun cabinet to store them in. Meets Massachusetts storage laws.

If a Massachusetts gun owner only has a few el cheapo hunting rifles or shotguns, they will probably choose an el cheapo Stack On or Homak thin steel gun cabinet to store them in. Meets Massachusetts storage laws.
True, but it deception by omission not including information on the wall thickness and using the term "safe" rather than "cabinet".

True, but it deception by omission not including information on the wall thickness and using the term "safe" rather than "cabinet".
Well, Rob, some el cheapo types are price oriented. If they had an old nonfunctional fridge, they would probably add a couple of hasps and padlocks, lock their cheap FUDD guns within, and call it good!

You guys keep your wife and her diamond behind a Lowe’s bolt lock and a 1 1/4” screws. Your prized Cadillac CTS behind an unlocked fiberboard garage door. The $20k Kubota tractor under a tarp outside. But the CMP Garand has to be protected by 3/4” of steel. Ok.

(In jest of course)

You guys keep your wife and her diamond behind a Lowe’s bolt lock and a 1 1/4” screws. Your prized Cadillac CTS behind an unlocked fiberboard garage door. The $20k Kubota tractor under a tarp outside. But the CMP Garand has to be protected by 3/4” of steel. Ok.

(In jest of course)
We have our priories straight. What’s your point? [laugh]

If I buy another safe, I’d probably get a modular Zanotti.

This is one area a "cheap" safe might be better than one that has fire proofing, the fire proofing material will constantly absorb and release moisture. The modular safe option mentioned above, moved into a climate controlled environment is not a bad idea.

Yeah, I would rather have my guns in a safe in a conditioned environment even if it requires having a lighter/"cheaper" built safe. My current Fort Knox safe weights 1,100 pounds empty, at my next house I am going with something much lighter, plus, like you, my thinking has changed and I would rather have a couple smaller safes than one large one.
However if you build you can incorporate the current safe into a build rather easily.

Oh ho ho your are so wrong this is Massachusetts where the original skinflint was born in the Yankee tradition. Most people here and NES as a fact will stick 20K worth of guns and coins in a 200 dollar safe and tell you there is no difference between their harbor freight safe and a quality one all day long and will fight you all day long about it as well..

New house does not have great or easy basement access to move a heavy safe, so I left it in garage.

When I open it up, gun metal feels very cold to the touch. With colder temps, I’m concerned about condensation/rust. I have one goldenrod element in there now. Should I add another? Any other solutions you guys have used?
Eastern Security Safe will move your safe for you. Just go to Eastern security safe.com and click the "move my safe" link. We will get back to you with a quote to relocate your safe.

Back
Top Bottom