S&W Sigma

Whats the verdict on these. With four seasons sale price and the 2 free mags, i am so tempted to buy one but i have been reading some very mixed reviews. I am not too worried about the trigger issues, im just talking the over performance of the gun.

Thanks guys.

Rick

Whats the verdict on these. With four seasons sale price and the 2 free mags, i am so tempted to buy one but i have been reading some very mixed reviews. I am not too worried about the trigger issues, im just talking the over performance of the gun.

Thanks guys.

Rick

I've never had any performance issues with mine. I never shoot it anymore, though. There are just too many nicer guns.

I had one and sold it. I never had any performance/reliability issues with it, but (even though you're not concerned with it) the trigger was horrible to the point where unless I shot it almost exclusively, it was hard for me to hit anything with it.

If I put the Sigma down for a while and shot a revolver, 1911, or even a Glock, when I took up the Sigma again, that crappy trigger caused me to miss badly until I could get used to it again.

If it's going to be your only gun, then go for it. After some practice, you'll be able to amaze your friends by hitting stuff in spite of that contraption they call a trigger.

It's kind of ugly too.

My friend has one, (a 40) I dont like it too much he likes it, I keep saying I'd rather have a glock, he keeps telling me it the same thing.

I know what I like and what I'd rather have. Its also SW's trigger pull 8lbs to glocks 5 pound pull I think

Well yeah the trigger sucks but as far as reliability ours has been 100%. Although it is not built for accuracy.

It ain't no target pistol and never will be, but for torso shots at
fifteen yards and under it'll do just fine.

It's a close range personal defense weapon. Nothing more, nothing
less.

Practice mashing the trigger without hesitations or pauses -
like shooting a revolver double action and you won't be disappointed
with the resuls once you get your technique down. It's a good reliable piece for a bargain basement price.

And you can sleep with it under your pillow if you like because with
that heavy trigger it ain't never going to go off by accident!

MAJOR D

After 500 rounds the trigger gets a little better after a 1000 rounds there's a big difference. It's a reliabile handgun but it's not for shooting in competion. It's a combat pistol which means it will hit what you point at and fire when you pull the trigger.

I have one and like every one else havn't used it in a while.

Four Seasons has a few nice used 9mm for sale. Here's one of them that's a great pistol.
Smith & Wesson 3913 9mm VAU6xxx $349.95 2 MAGS That you might like better.

I appreciate all the feedback..my boss is always telling me not to buy this gun and go with the Glock. And thats the thing, should i wait and buy a Glock for more money or just suck it up and buy this one for the first semi auto..

You really need to handle them and see what you like best, I bought a Glock and traded it b/c I ended up not being able to get use to the "feel" of it, mostly the grip. IMO the grip is better on the sigma but if you can afford a Glock you should really look at the S&W M&P.

I appreciate all the feedback..my boss is always telling me not to buy this gun and go with the Glock. And thats the thing, should i wait and buy a Glock for more money or just suck it up and buy this one for the first semi auto..

what are you lookin to spend? and what would you use it for?

The new Sigmas are 100% reliable. Cost is great. The black/black ones are not as ugly as the two tone (IMO). Trigger is an issue though.

I've got one and it has been great. If it is your first auto I'd say go for it. Great gun to learn on. Then when you have the money trade up to a M&P or Glock and you'll shoot the shit out of it. If you are already used to a nicer trigger it would just piss you off.

If you are not going to use it for defense there is an easy fix to drop and smooth out the trigger (taking out springs). But, shooting it alot also lightens it.

One big downfall is that there are very little out there for holster choices.

what are you lookin to spend? and what would you use it for?

Im really looking for a decent first semi auto. I dont have a Concealed permit only Target and Hunting some Im looking for something i can take to the range and have some fun with but also have in the home for defense and it be reliable.

i inherited a revolver .357 S&W which i love to shoot so im breaking into the Semi auto game now..lol

I'd go with the M&P myself. I've owned a Glock 22 (which I sold when I bought the M&P40), and I also have a Sigma SW9F. All three are reliable, all three operate in pretty much the same way, and all three have their strengths and weaknesses (Sigma - horrible trigger that cannot be fixed - M&P only has 10 rounders available in Mass and really does need a Burwell or Greg Derr trigger job to turn it into the perfect polymer gun - Glock 22 has an awful grip angle and has more of a tendency to kB)

If I were you, I'd go with the M&P40, then when you have the cash bring it to Greg Derr or ship it to Dan Burwell and have a standard 3.5# trigger job done on it. It'll shoot fine out of the box, but with the trigger job it'll be maybe the sweetest non-1911 you've ever shot.

Im really looking for a decent first semi auto. I dont have a Concealed permit only Target and Hunting some Im looking for something i can take to the range and have some fun with but also have in the home for defense and it be reliable.

i inherited a revolver .357 S&W which i love to shoot so im breaking into the Semi auto game now..lol

I am no gun expert by any means but if I may throw out there a beretta 92fs I have one through my friend. its an awesome range pistol, not really heavy. it has a hammer so when it cocked back just tap the trigger. I bellieve that to be a much better range gun about $400 at gun and sport north in lawrnce they always have good prices on hardwear.

Last edited:
How would this Sigma compare to the Ruger P89 I have now? I bring this one up because it's in the same price range (got it slightly used for $300).

The Walther p99 is another gun you might want to look at. FS has alot of used one's listed on their used gun page.

I think Im gonna go with the Sigma 9 or 40..the MP is a little out of range right now and it sounds like a good gun..we will see. i still got some time to save up come cash though...lol
thanks to everyone for your imput..

although i did buy a Savage 64 today...i figured what the hell

It ain't no target pistol and never will be, but for torso shots at
fifteen yards and under it'll do just fine.

It's a close range personal defense weapon. Nothing more, nothing
less.

Practice mashing the trigger without hesitations or pauses -
like shooting a revolver double action and you won't be disappointed
with the resuls once you get your technique down. It's a good reliable piece for a bargain basement price.

And you can sleep with it under your pillow if you like because with
that heavy trigger it ain't never going to go off by accident!

MAJOR D

This pretty much nails it. The gun is what it is and is what it supposed to be.

If you do get a Sigma, hunt around for some pre-ban hi-caps for it. My preban Sigma has two 17 rounders which is obviously nicer than the 10 rounders. You can tell for the 9mm at least which are preban because prebans are 17 rounds, LE only mags are marked, and postbans are 16 rounds. Preban 9mm mags also have a gap between the floorplate and the bottom of the grip which is nonexistent on newer mags.

Or get a used Smith & Wesson fixed sight K frame revolver in 357 Magnum. What you lose in capacity you more than make up in accuracy and all out killing power.

An S&W medium frame revolver is never a bad choice, but he seems set on a polymer framed semi-auto.

I prefer the adjustable sights and the fiber optic front sight of my Model 520 myself, but the fact is that K and L frames point really naturally. I do want to get a Model 10 at some point, though, it's truly a beautiful gun and the essence of simplicity (6 rounds fixed sight .38 +P)

It can be a metal gun and not ploymer but it just seemed that the Sigma (polymer) were a little cheaper. The .357 is a fun gun and love the bang...

you know, if your close to manchester, go to Manchester Firing Line, rent a few dif. guns and see what you like. I dont think you'll like the sigma. Unless you already shot it/

Jose I have a .357 Revolver now. Inherited from my father which he bought in the 70s. im just looking for a semi auto that is decent. i think i might take a ride to NH and try out a few different guns at the range. That sounds like a good idea..

Back
Top Bottom