• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W SD9 VE a Piece of Crap?

Baikal49

Banned
I was told this the other day by a gun shop that refuses to carry this pistol. Is this hyperbole or are these pistols OK for range practice and home defense (possible carry too). The price is certainly right, meaning cheap. Opinion and experiences appreciated. Thanks in advance.

trigger is horrible. some of the older models had (have) issues.

it's basically a glock knock-off. if you do a internet search for sigma vs. glock, you'll find a lot of good info.

i've had two of them and never had problems. sold because i never shot them. [laugh] but when i did, i didn't have issues.

for cheap plinking, i'd say go for it. or save up for a SD or M&P series.

The price difference on something like a Smegma vs better alternatives is a fools errand. It's not even the cost of a case of ammo to get to something that isn't widely considered a piece of s**t.

-Mike

I have a Sigma in 9mm and .40. I like both of them. I did a little work to the gun in taking out a couple springs to lighten the trigger a bit. I've run over a 1000 rounds through the 9mm and a couple hundred through the .40 (the .40 is only a couple months old) and using all types of ammo from WWB to Federal to Estate never had a problem. I've run them dirty and clean and they continue to perform. I find them very accurate and the trigger is something that after I shot it a few times I got used to and don't even think about. People call them junk but the price is right and it still goes bang so to each his own.

Don't know about the new SD VE pistols, but those "dang junk Sigmas" that the SD VE pistols are based on had a reputation for going bang every time. It's terrible when the gun snobs get confused with facts. When I took a course at the S&W Academy, the Sigma was the gun the instructor was using and this was well into the M&P era.

As I see it, they have some M&P cosmetic design features, an M1913 rail (which the Sigma did not, it was proprietary one and not too many accessories were made for it), metal sights, and a neat place to put your index finger along the side of the frame.

They are going to have bad triggers, but are the triggers going to be any worse than a Ma**h*** M&P?

I just picked up a Sigma 40 for $250 at FS.... Even with the nasty 13lb trigger my first ten rounds were touching inside the black at 15yards. The damn thing is accurate and once you take the unnecessary springs out of the sear block the pull drops to about 8lbs. I plan on doing a polish job and have a wolff spring inbound from midway. I'm happy with it so far. 50rds of AE through it without any ftf or fte. I might have to grab another one in 9mm....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Don't know about the new SD VE pistols, but those "dang junk Sigmas" that the SD VE pistols are based on had a reputation for going bang every time. It's terrible when the gun snobs get confused with facts.

It's terrible when the skinflints are in denial, too. [laugh] They're not the worst gun on the market by any stretch of the imagination (they usually do work, although I've seen plenty of them that were ****ed up, too) but the value proposition of something like the Sigma just isn't there. Particularly not when you can get a used M&P, or even go to Ruger land and get an SR9c or something like that.

The Sigma is usually a WAY better gun than a Hi Point or some other POS like that, but relative to everything else it's still a piece of crap. You won't get what you didn't pay for.

They are going to have bad triggers, but are the triggers going to be any worse than a Ma**h*** M&P?

You can easily repair the trigger on an M&P (and even tune it to your preferences) not so much on a Sigma. You can also buy a used M&P that already had the trigger repaired, for not that much more than a Sigma.

The only redeeming feature of the Sigma is its lack of cost- and I can't see skinflinting on a gun when the price difference between it and something good is not even a case of ammo. Maybe it is good if you have exactly that much to spend and nothing more. Even if I was pushed into that corner I would rather have a Ruger P series, like a P85DC/P95DC or something. At least with a P series if I had to sell it I could do so
with a clear conscience.

-Mike

Last edited:
Even if I was pushed into that corner I would rather have a Ruger P series, like
a P85DC/P95DC or something.

-Mike

those things are tanks! [laugh] i had one in my safe that didn't belong to me.... i finally had to ask the owner if he could borrow his gun back.

those things are tanks! [laugh] i had one in my safe that didn't belong to me.... i finally had to ask the owner if he could borrow his gun back.

They are, and they are also one of the fugliest guns on the planet, but they work. And they are dirt cheap. [grin] You can also get preban full capacity mags for them without too much difficulty. (Although I guess this is an advantage for the Sigma, too... )

-Mike

For $250 or $300 IMO you have much better options. Many people say they're reliable, but are they really Glock reliable? Is a bottom barrel handgun really what you want to protect your life with. Good firearms last decades. Why waste your money on something that might be discontinued and you won't be able to find parts for?

It's terrible when the skinflints are in denial, too. [laugh] They're not the worst gun on the market by any stretch of the imagination (they usually do work, although I've seen plenty of them that were ****ed up, too) but the value proposition of something like the Sigma just isn't there. Particularly not when you can get a used M&P, or even go to Ruger land and get an SR9c or something like that.

The Sigma is usually a WAY better gun than a Hi Point or some other POS like that, but relative to everything else it's still a piece of crap. You won't get what you didn't pay for.

You can easily repair the trigger on an M&P (and even tune it to your preferences) not so much on a Sigma. You can also buy a used M&P that already had the trigger repaired, for not that much more than a Sigma.

The only redeeming feature of the Sigma is its lack of cost- and I can't see skinflinting on a gun when the price difference between it and something good is not even a case of ammo. Maybe it is good if you have exactly that much to spend and nothing more. Even if I was pushed into that corner I would rather have a Ruger P series, like a P85DC/P95DC or something. At least with a P series if I had to sell it I could do so
with a clear conscience.

-Mike

Loved my Sigma, hated my M&P

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I work with a guy that bought 2 at Bass Pro in January, one was for his dad and both 9's. I want to disclaim that while I would not own one...nooooooo... I have been out with him with both pistols and besides the crappy trigger they function fine. Me, I pleaded with him to get a M&P but to save a couple of bucks he opted out and went in the cheaper direction. But, as I said they function alright, so far.

I quoted my post from an other thread where a question about the Sigma/SD9 was asked a few days ago.

I shot a friends Sigma a few years ago, it was borderline painful to shoot. She traded it in for an M&P 4 weeks after buying it. She was pissed she didn't spend the extra 100 bucks up front, since she wound up taking a big hit on the Sigma (because no one wanted it), and shelled out the extra cash anyways. I handled a SD, and as far as I could tell, there wasn't much a difference.

Glock is better but If you like it buy it I used to own a 9ve had no problems with it at all and the trigger wasn't as bad as the m&p,I sold it got a m&p 9c had problems from when I 1st got it send it to s&w they didn't fix it sold it and went back to what I knew best Glock's

Thank you all for your info and opinions. Will think about it and decide.

My advice would be if you are really interested in one of them, try one out first before buying, at a minimum, so you don't make a mistake.

Buying guns randomly is fun but if I had tried them out ahead of time I would have saved a lot of money in the long run.

-Mike

Instead of broad stroke question like "Is the Smegma any good?" I would ask guys on here that compete and run pistols hard, what pistols they compete with and carry. i think you will find not one will tell you Smegma 9mm.

I like my .40 cal Sigma. Carry it everywhere. The trigger started out as absolutely horrific, but after about 500 rounds it feels like a different trigger. It's accurate enough to be a personal or home defense weapon. If you're looking to do serious target shooting, I might look at something else. Not hate though, I really do like my SW40VE.... My cousin has an old glock and they are like the same pistol

I bought one as my first hand gun. What a dissapointing intro into the world of firearms. After the first 300 rounds it stopped jamming all the time and became very reliable. Too bad I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. The trigger was that bad. I shot a Glock and knew that the SW9ve wasn't for me. Sometimes I think I might buy another one if it was the right price, just to see if I could shoot it now that I've been into guns for a few years.

Instead of broad stroke question like "Is the Smegma any good?" I would ask guys on here that compete and run pistols hard, what pistols they compete with and carry. i think you will find not one will tell you Smegma 9mm.
Not looking for a pistol to compete with. I compete in 10 meter air pistol with a Feinwerkbau German pistol. The other interest I have is rapid fire and would likely buy a Pardini http://www.pardiniguns.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=9&osCsid=q95reercbdvm34qjlsv5srcvl6 or Moreni for that.

The SD9 VE is different than the original SW9 VE, the original sigma. Basically they combined the sigma with the regular SD model that they no longer produce. The new "sigma" if you want to call it that has some upgrades, and the trigger is light years beyond the original sigma trigger. If you can, shoot an old sigma then shoot the new SD9 VE and you will see what I mean. I have shot both.

Not looking for a pistol to compete with. I compete in 10 meter air pistol with a Feinwerkbau German pistol. The other interest I have is rapid fire and would likely buy a Pardini http://www.pardiniguns.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=9&osCsid=q95reercbdvm34qjlsv5srcvl6 or Moreni for that.

missing the point dude, ask the guys who compete(IDPA, IPSC, etc) what they shoot, they need reliable solid shooters and they have already tested most guns and put them through the paces.

Why not just get a Walther P22 instead of a Pardini?

missing the point dude, ask the guys who compete(IDPA, IPSC, etc) what they shoot, they need reliable solid shooters and they have already tested most guns and put them through the paces.

Why not just get a Walther P22 instead of a Pardini?

I had more hiccups with my USP 40 than with my Sigma 9mm (which I ran into none). I am not a comp shooter but I would put a lot of rounds through my sigma, ran it hard through drills and such on a weekly, sometimes daily basis (when I had the time) and it never gave me any issues. Put between 300 and 500 rounds through it each range trip. I only got rid of it (that and my M&Pm, which I hated) because I needed some $ for my FA91.

Back
Top Bottom