• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W mp pistol: Choices, choices, choices...

groundscrapers

NES Member
So I am going to scoop up a pistol early next week and I really haven't set my mind on a particular caliber. I want to be able to carry it concealed and also be able to put in some serious range time with it. If you had to choose a caliber what would you pick and why?

9MM is a great round. Plenty of power, soft shooting, relatively cheap to shoot.The 9 will work fine for most applications. All the shootings my dept hade where 1 shot stops when we caried 9MM.

Awesome, another "which caliber is better" thread. Maybe this time we'll come to a consensus. [rolleyes]

Edit: For the record, I'm voting for the full-house 10mm because "they" say anything less is for limp-wristed sissies or French women, and I so care what "they" say.

Last edited:
Consider the compact if it is your carry gun. Try them all at the SSC in springfield.

Get the one that is best for you. They are all excellent firearms. Also consider the night sights. I plan add these after christmas to my carry gun.

Get what ever pistol you want, in the end there is really no difference. 9MM, 40,45, 357Sig 357 Mag all are equally underpowered compared to a 12 Gauge slug or .30 caliber rifle round.

So I am going to scoop up a pistol early next week and I really haven't set my mind on a particular caliber. I want to be able to carry it concealed and also be able to put in some serious range time with it. If you had to choose a caliber what would you pick and why?

I would say get over to S&W Shooting Center 1st. You can rent a gun for $25 (gun, ammo, targets and range), try out the full size and the compact in 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. the nine is cheaper to shoot and 9 mil ammo is a lot better now than it use't to be.

I would also say buy it with the Crimson Trace grip on It
CT M&P . If you buy the S&W one you get the S&W Logo on it.

As far as a full size gun or the compact gun that depends on your hand size, with my bear paws I have trouble shooting small guns so I carry a FS. S&W M&P .
My carry gun is a S&W M&P FS with CT grip in 40 S&W.

Seeing that you are just in West Side get over to S&W SC (exit 4, 291) and shoot away, the SC also has some deals going on right now on guns and range time:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Christmas Gift Ideas from the Shooting Sports Center
Recieve a free 60 day membership to the S&W Shooting Sports Center with the purchase of a store gift certificate worth $100 or more. This offer expires 12/24/09 at 4:00pm.

If you are looking for last minute gift ideas feel free to check out the Shooting Sports Center for S&W apparel and accessories.

We are also accepting orders for the long anticipated Massachusetts compliant S&W M&P15-22 Rifle in .22LR. If you order now you will beat the January price increase.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Where are you thinking of buying the gun ???

[smile]

I have shot the 9mm and I like that and I would imagine that with a little trigger work to soften it up it would be much better. Still pretty much a tack driver.

I already have a platinum membership there and have shot the 9mm but not the .45. I actually get paid to take the customers that come to visit my company shooting there. We have customers come up from Australia and england and the LOVE to go shooting there. Tons of my family have in the past and still currently work @ S&W.

I already have a platinum membership there
Ya I had a membership there to but I have to renew it, it just ran out a little while ago.

I actually get paid to take the customers that come to visit my company shooting there. We have customers come up from Australia and england and the LOVE to go shooting there.
SWEET, is your company hiring !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best idea is to try out a full size and a compact in which ever caliber you want at the Smith and Wesson range. I ended up choosing the full size .40 and love it except for the trigger which I plan to get adjusted once I stop procrastinating. Someone else here said get night sights which is a good idea and is on my to-do list for my M&P.

Screw the pistol. This can be carried too:

The_Big_Gun.jpg

i have the full-sized .45 and the compact .40c. both are excellent weapons in my opinion. that being said the .45 is hard for me to conceal so if you want to carry conceal i'd go with the .40c. Great little gun and I always have a ball at the range with it. just my opinion though.

I'm not a great fan of the .40 S&W cartridge; a lot of bang for little improvement over the 9mm, and with light pistols you should really train more (than with the 9mm) to get the most out of the .40.

That being said, the full size 9mm M&P is a very good shooter, but in Mass you have to carry crippled mags. The 9c is a good carry pistol, but accuracy falls far short of the FS 9. You could blame it on diminished sight radius, but I believe the problem stems from something else (and I am not the first person to report this).

Back
Top Bottom