• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Moving HQ to Tennessee

Want a good laugh or cry. Read people’s replies
On September 30 th Boston Globe article about Smith and Wesson moving to Tennessee and get a better understanding why this country is so f***ed up from these liberals

My wife was in Florida for a conference about a month ago. She saw friends from all over the country. They couldn't believe we need a license to own a firearm.

I just wish she had told them something along the lines of how their government scumbags want that for them, so they better be politically involved.

Now that I've had a day to think about this: this is really f***ed up.

The state legislature said "I know your company has been in this state for nearly 200 years and employs thousands in an economically depressed area, but our current political ideology does not align with your way of doing business."

I hope those 750 relocated employees say "Tennessee is 100x better than MA. We should've moved years ago!"

This is going to have a significant effect in terms of job loss for Springfield, a city that really can't afford that. Sure, some will remain, but I'm hearing at least 750 jobs heading south. Whatever you think of MA as being not a gun friendly state, this is bad news for a lot of families, and the local vendors who supply this factory.
You see a similar pattern in NY with Remington and the reality is that to the pols in power, western MA is like upstate NY -- they care about the big city of the state and its money, to them everything else may as well not exist.

Sorry...........but one song comes to mind. Way to go Massachusetts.

Ouch bro. I'm from Akron and had never heard that one before, right in the feels.

They are keeping their mass location open, so it isn't a total win.
It cost money to hire new machinist and skill workers, it not something that can be done overnight. I guess that they will slowwly move all them operations out of ma , but it be a slow move, take years.
They hired a bunch of newbies machinist at work, they set machine on fire twice already and constanlly wrecking stuff lol.

So they made it illegal to manufacture AR 15 rifle‘s in Massachusetts?

“Lawmakers decided to close that loophole and make it illegal to manufacture one of Smith & Wesson’s most popular products.”

Edit: I see they can still make them only if there sold to LE and Military only.

I wonder what that means for a smaller shops that manufacture parts for rifles that will be civilian owned?
Lol no they didn't. But S&W was sick of listening to threats and this and that..... not to mention the absolute dog shit conditions for manufacturing in MA.

It cost money to hire new machinist and skill workers, it not something that can be done overnight. I guess that they will slowwly move all them operations out of ma , but it be a slow move, take years.
They hired a bunch of newbies machinist at work, they set machine on fire twice already and constanlly wrecking stuff lol.
I only worked dials and DRO’s. Smashing shit would have earned you the door. Now that aside I worked in a shop where the owner was really good at smashing shit at full speed. His “wall of shame” was massive!!!

Many of the assembly line jobs are temps no need to relocate them. Also most of Customer Service is also temps. It is easy to train people so assemble AR's and M&P pistols. It is also easy to train machine operators and material handlers. You need to try and keep engineers and CNC programers even the tool department is mostly CNC the day of the cutter grinder is on its way out. S&W is planning to complete the move over the year.

I was able to build two Lowers and and an upper with minimal special tools. Needed an upper vise block, which I borrowed from a friend. Bought a lower vise block. Won an armorers wrench in a Karma here. Bought a cheap torque wrench.

Other than that the various firearms tools I've acquired over the years were all I needed.

If I could do it in my basement, then it's pretty easy to do.

I've never built a 1911, but since they are low capacity semi autos, I imagine they will be built in Springfield (or maybe Houlton). Even revolvers aren't that difficult to build now that they use CNC machining for the frame. I don't know if they use MIM on revolvers or not. They don't have "fitters" who build and adjust revolvers any longer. They build them on an assembly line.

I'm sure that they will find lots of people in Blount and Knox Counties who will be happy to work there.

Many of the assembly line jobs are temps no need to relocate them. Also most of Customer Service is also temps. It is easy to train people so assemble AR's and M&P pistols. It is also easy to train machine operators and material handlers. You need to try and keep engineers and CNC programers even the tool department is mostly CNC the day of the cutter grinder is on its way out. S&W is planning to complete the move over the year.

S&W revolvers are forged and parts are CNC the assembly no longer needs fitting S&W let all the fitters/gun smiths go back around 2011 when they changed to all CNC revolver line. S&W is also moving there injection molding manufacturing out of CT. to Tenn. so the M&P style pistol frames will be in the new plant in Tenn.
The 1911's are made in Maine using MIM parts and forged CNC frames and slides no fitting/smithing involved although still more difficult to assemble then an M&P however still no gun smithing involved, 22 pistols are also made in Maine.
The AR assembly line uses very basic tools not very complicated AR parts are sourced from other venders at least they were a few years ago I don't think anything has changed much. I am sure S&W will keep the forge and forging and heat treating in Springfield the forge can't be moved and I am sure the forge and heat treating would make the property hard to sell based on ground pollution possible a future Super Fund site. They will also keep the revolver line in Springfield now, however that I am sure will be moved in the future.

Last edited:
My 351C, which was a warranty replacement for a previous 351C which was unrepairable, was defective out of the box. I had to send it back to.correct a failure to fire. They did and it's fine now, but maybe a fitter would have built it so that it worked.

The nice thing was that they sent me one without the silly lock.

S&W revolvers are forged and parts are CNC the assembly no longer needs fitting S&W let all the fitters/gun smiths go back around 2011 when they changed to all CNC revolver line
The 1911's are made in Maine using MIM parts and forged CNC frames and slides no fitting/smithing involved although still more difficult to assemble then an M&P however still no gun smithing involved, 22 pistols are also made in Maine.
The AR assembly line uses very basic tools not very complicated AR parts are sourced from other venders.

It's all about production numbers and making monthly quotas. Out the door at the end of the month if they don't work it is cheaper to repair or replace as long as the monthly number is made. Fitters/gunsmiths have to be paid more temp workers not as much.

This is going to have a significant effect in terms of job loss for Springfield, a city that really can't afford that. Sure, some will remain, but I'm hearing at least 750 jobs heading south. Whatever you think of MA as being not a gun friendly state, this is bad news for a lot of families, and the local vendors who supply this factory.
I mean.... if you worked there you shoudve been in fear every day

Im not trying to be a dick...that just comes naturally

However its just kinda like yeahh this was guna happen

Back
Top Bottom