S&W Model 686+ Questions

The Village Idiot

Shooting at the big range in heaven. 1952-2009
NES Member
The Live Free Or Keep Voting In dimocrats State
Fired one today at the local range. Shot 7 rounds of .357 Magnum to see how it handled and if I would like to buy one. Had rubber grips with metal back-strap exposed. Felt really good in my hand but by the fourth round the webbing between my thumb and pointer finger hurt like hell. Does anyone have and shoot one? Experience the same? Anyone know if full wraparound grips are available? I like the revolver but don't know if this old body can hold up to practice at the range.
Thanks,
Ed

What does your grip look like? Do you have small(ish) hands?

While I'm no recoil junky like some on this board, the web of your hand should not "hurt like hell".

FWIW, I LOVE my 686. Also, I do shoot mostly 38spl. by maybe 3:1

Fired one today at the local range. Shot 7 rounds of .357 Magnum to see how it handled and if I would like to buy one. Had rubber grips with metal back-strap exposed. Felt really good in my hand but by the fourth round the webbing between my thumb and pointer finger hurt like hell. Does anyone have and shoot one? Experience the same? Anyone know if full wraparound grips are available? I like the revolver but don't know if this old body can hold up to practice at the range.
Thanks,
Ed

You didn't mention the barrel length. The 6" is very pleasant. From what you describe I'd guess you shot something quite a bit shorter. The extra barrel length makes a big difference.

Thanks guys. My hand is fairly large and I had to alter my grip so that the top of my index finger wasn't jammed under the rear of the trigger guard (wish the top groove on the Hogues wasn't so high up the grip). The gun was the 4" barrel version and I want to purchase the 2" for CC. A friend did me a favor so I didn't get to try the .38s only the .357s.

I have the 686+ with a 4" barrel, and the Hogue wrap-arounds that cover the backstrap DO make a difference. I also have some nice Cocobolo grips for show, but I would not shoot full-power .357 Magnums with these - ouch! Alot more fun (and cheaper) to shoot .38's through it.

Now, if you want to talk about pain, try my Model 29 Mountain Gun with full-power .44 Mags while using the fancy wood grips...

Thanks,
Ed

If you just shoot the thing, eventually it won't hurt anymore.

Back
Top Bottom