S&W Model 60 AD/ND!!

On my S&W model 60, the hammer will stop half-way down. Same on my model 66. If that is not a half-cock notch, what is it?

A great big burr? [wink]

Probably varies by model revision. A pre-lock 60LS (Model 60-9) doesn't have it.

And if the rebound slide fails, the hammer block will not let the nose of the firing pin reach the primer.

If the rebound slide fails because the trigger does not move forward, this will also prevent the hammer block from functioning, since it cams off the rebound slide.

On my S&W model 60, the hammer will stop half-way down. Same on my model 66. If that is not a half-cock notch, what is it?

Unless radical changes have been made in the post-lock S&W lockwork, as you ease the hammer down with the trigger not pressed, the hammer will travel to, but not beyond, its normal post-firing at rest position. In this position, the pin is retracted into the recoil shield, and the foot of the hammer is blocked by the rebound slide.

My training on S&W DA revolvers is limited to the pre-lock, "traditional" revolvers.

Unless radical changes have been made in the post-lock S&W lockwork, as you ease the hammer down with the trigger not pressed, the hammer will travel to, but not beyond, its normal post-firing at rest position. In this position, the pin is retracted into the recoil shield, and the foot of the hammer is blocked by the rebound slide.

My training on S&W DA revolvers is limited to the pre-lock, "traditional" revolvers.
Mine are pre-lock. Multiple S&W revolvers do this.

Back
Top Bottom