S&W Model 60 AD/ND!!

Wow, bad trigger discipline. I wonder where that was pointing when it went off. Surely soon to be a winner of the darwin award.

yeah a real ijit, but that grip he has is pretty niffty. didnt notice it at first, but it has finger grooves camo-ed as part of the metal frame.

i really like how he puts his finger on the trigger, before he gets a good hold of that hammer.

Last edited:
yeah a real ijit, but that grip he has is pretty niffty. didnt notice it at first, but it has finger grooves camo-ed as part of the metal frame.

Grip adapter.

NewSWM28siderock1.jpg

I'm surprised it didn't go bang more than once.... what a schmuck!

Yup. He pointed the muzzle at his left hand numerous times. I was surprised and, perhaps, disappointed that he didn't have it pointed at his left hand when he had the ND.

is this the only way to safely de-cock a revolver?
1) keep it pointed in a safe direction.
2) put your support thumb between the frame and hammer.
3) firmly put your strong thumb on the hammer.
4) pull the trigger and slowly start easing down the hammer. As soon as possible, remove your finger from the trigger. If your finger is off the trigger and the hammer slips and falls, the gun should not discharge. If the hammer intercepts the half-cock notch and stops part way down, you will have to pull the trigger again and continue lowering the hammer.

You can safely decock a revolver if you are careful and paying attention. This guy was neither.

I'm calling BS on this one. Watch the video carefully and take note of the primers as he is loading the revolver. Every one looks like it has already been struck. I suspect he seated new bullets in once-fired cases to give the appearance they were loaded cartridges. Note that the category of the video is "entertainment." I would classify it as stupidity, not entertainment. [frown]

Extremely poor trigger and muzzle discipline throughout, as others have noted. I cringed when he flipped the cylinder closed. If someone ever did that with one of my revolvers they would get a slap upside the head. That's a good way to spring the cylinder crane. It looks impressive in the movies, in real life it's the mark of a noob.

When you are manually decocking a S&W revolver you should release the trigger as you lower the hammer. This allows an internal bar in the revolver to ride up preventing the firing pin on the hammer from striking the primer if your thumb should slip off the hammer as you lower it. An even safer method is to put your other thumb under the hammer as you lower it. This has the added advantage of keeping both hands and all your fingers away from the muzzle and cylinder gap and is an extra safety measure if your thumb should slip.

This guy is an idiot.

Last edited:
4) pull the trigger and slowly start easing down the hammer. As soon as possible, remove your finger from the trigger. If your finger is off the trigger and the hammer slips and falls, the gun should not discharge. If the hammer intercepts the half-cock notch and stops part way down, you will have to pull the trigger again and continue lowering the hammer.

You can safely decock a revolver if you are careful and paying attention. This guy was neither.

Granted I don't own a wheel gun, but couldn't you pop the cylinder, then drop the hammer? I would think that is the safest way to do it, but I don't know if the hammer would then be in the way of swinging the cylinder shut.

Granted I don't own a wheel gun, but couldn't you pop the cylinder, then drop the hammer? I would think that is the safest way to do it, but I don't know if the hammer would then be in the way of swinging the cylinder shut.
Can't pop the cylinder with the hammer back.

M1911 stated the right technique. Same thing on a lever gun.

Nope. The cylinder is locked when the hammer is cocked. You can't open the cylinder until you uncock the hammer.

Nope. The cylinder is locked when the hammer is cocked. You can't open the cylinder until you uncock the hammer.

Correct again, as was your previous post. Rep points to you!

I suspect that this was an intentional design to prevent the hammer from falling on a cylinder that was not completely locked in place. That could result in an out-of-battery discharge. Not a good thing. [shocked]

Probably a blank fire or cap fire from Japan. Notice the cylinder after he opens it - there is a disk blocking the front.

Yes he has poor muzzle control but what would you expect from someone who messes with models!

Joe R.

Probably a blank fire or cap fire from Japan. Notice the cylinder after he opens it - there is a disk blocking the front.

Yes he has poor muzzle control but what would you expect from someone who messes with models!

Joe R.

Lazier than that, more than likely, dubbed in sound effects. [laugh]

-Mike

That looks fake, where is the smoke?
Definitely, - definitely not enough recoil, and no evidence of compression in the sound.

Didn't even have a decent hold on it with his hand. Short barreled 460 Magnum with a poor grip? It would have come out of his hand.

Listen to other vids with a generall quiet background where someone pops off a round. The sound of the gunshot is compressed heck...and it's not here.

As for the other vid, you can clearly see the second right shoe that the guy's taken off to put on the "shot" shoe.

Yup. He pointed the muzzle at his left hand numerous times. I was surprised and, perhaps, disappointed that he didn't have it pointed at his left hand when he had the ND.

There is no half-cock notch in a traditional Smith & Wesson double action revolver. However, if you do remove your finger from the trigger once the hammer is clear of the sear, then if the hammer slips from your thumb, the rebound slide will prevent it from striking the primer.

And if the rebound slide fails, the hammer block will not let the nose of the firing pin reach the primer.

There is no half-cock notch in a traditional Smith & Wesson double action revolver. However, if you do remove your finger from the trigger once the hammer is clear of the sear, then if the hammer slips from your thumb, the rebound slide will prevent it from striking the primer.
On my S&W model 60, the hammer will stop half-way down. Same on my model 66. If that is not a half-cock notch, what is it?

There are ranges that blow horns/buzzers that force you to immediately stop shooting and make the gun safe forcing you to do this procedure on revolvers. I'm not a fan of those ranges to say the least. The buzzer should allow you to empty your current mag/cylinder and then make the gun safe.

Forcing someone to clear a loaded gun with 1-2 bullets left in it is pointless and saves no time. It's asking for an ND to happen. Danvers Fish & Game does this practice.

I've been to numerous NES shoots and ranges, and all have the practice of letting you empty your current mag/cylinder, then make the gun safe.

Back
Top Bottom