S&W .500 vs. a Kevlar Vest

Eddie,

I realize that you were enjoying yourselves and usually I am all for doing anything like this and the testing. You don't need me to tell you that this may be a bad idea in the long run. Posting videos like this on you tube only feeds into the antis and what they are trying to push. It makes the job of myself at NSSF and GOALs that much more difficult. They always point and use stuff like this to their advantage. I would not be surprised if a video like this gets linked from some anit-gun sites.

I cannot count how many times I have seen the 5.7 being demonstrated like this either by law enforcement, the brady campaign, america's most wanted, atf, every damn media outlet in the southwest border and others.

With pushes to ban the s&w 500 and everything else greater than a .22 it becomes very difficult.

I am sorry to be such a little baby on this but this is never helpful.

The penetration test was interesting, but I really would have like to seen the trauma effects on a block of clay or ballistics gel.

Jim - awesome stuff! I would love to see a static vest as well. My guess is that you would have different results in your favor....Plus, it would be interesting to note the impact cavity of the rounds that didn't penetrate. If it's clay you need, I live near the clay capital of at least Western New England, (Sheffield). I still have a ballistic police shield, (Level III) that I'd like to test as well...

All i remember is that spinning plate at last years July 4th shoot.

The 700 grain bullet hit it and sent it spinning around like six or seven times.

Haha, yeah that was awesome.

Great video, Jim. If I end up getting this HD camera I'm looking at right now, I'll let you know, maybe I could come shoot some slo-mo footage of you destroying things.

Haha, yeah that was awesome.

Great video, Jim. If I end up getting this HD camera I'm looking at right now, I'll let you know, maybe I could come shoot some slo-mo footage of you destroying things.

Do it.

I'll get a carload of stuff to blow up.

That's what I was thinking, (and others as well). I would gladly find out the cost for 100-pounds of Sheffield pottery clay. I would like to set up a vest on the block, with a SC III Police Shield I have in front of it...

Bring it.

I can tell you though, it'll be ugly. When those 700's hit the vest, it turned into an ugly mess of a tent, and broke and tipped over the target stand.

Is this a possibility for the 3rd? I might have missed that part.

I have a feeling that the vest will stop the penetration and the clay will have a HUGE cavity but will not fall from the stand.[shocked]

Last edited:
I love how everyone completely disregarded the naysayer from post number 61 [rofl]...looks like a blast, can't wait for more.

I love how everyone completely disregarded the naysayer from post number 61 [rofl]...looks like a blast, can't wait for more.

Holy shit, I missed that.

He's absolutely right. I should've thought this through better. I'm going to take it down when I get home and can access YouTube.

IrishIron is fighting the good fight for us every day. Jake, I apologize for making your job harder.

Last edited:
Holy shit, I missed that.

He's absolutely right. I'm going to take it down when I get home and can access YouTube.

If you didn't do it someone else would. At least when we watch your video we see "Safe Testing". Which is kind of refreshing. If you take it down, some idiot might put up a video while he is holding the vest for his friend to shoot.

I See his point. But I feel the problem with these videos are the blatant disregard for safety we see on so many of these. If anyone wants to know what rounds a vest can stop they can usually read the chart. The fact that vests don't stop all bullets, is common knowledge.

For those interested.... A quick calculation brings Muzzle Energy in at 6216.7 ft Lbs for the 700gr lead

OUCH!!!

edit: comparison to a .45 230gr traveling at 900 fps is 413.63

Last edited:
For those interested.... A quick calculation brings Muzzle Energy in at 6216.7 ft Lbs for the 700gr lead

OUCH!!!

edit: comparison to a .45 230gr traveling at 900 fps is 413.63

Too quick. More like 2055 foot pounds for a 700gr bullet at 1150 fps.

Back
Top Bottom