S&W .500 vs. a Kevlar Vest

Cool vid.
If 22LR can penetrate due to the size wouldn't that mean a 223 would as well?

Any rifle cartridge will penetrate a handgun rated (NIJ level number escapes me now) vest.

The typical vest policemen wear under their uniform provides no protection against a common hunting rifle.

Any rifle cartridge will penetrate a handgun rated (NIJ level number escapes me now) vest.

The typical vest policemen wear under their uniform provides no protection against a common hunting rifle.

Correct. An arrow will go right through it too.

To answer you're questions: The vest was set up as a level 2 . The muzzle energy of the 700 gr loads was 2000 ft.lbs. EC can verify. I shot another vest with my m16 with 55gr. ball ammo and the round went through so fast I thought it missed. I don,t think any vest without a ballistic plate will stop a high velocity rifle round. It might stop a blackpowder rifle round. Maybe we'll try that next. While we're at it we might as well try an arrow and a knife.

Ok...and I admit I know little about the physics of the situation...I'm curious, why would an arrow go right through? I understand the concept of the .22 going through based on size. I understand the 5.56 (.223) going through based on velocity and mass, but why does an arrow penetrate. Is it because of the size, the velocity or...?

I understand the 5.56 (.223) going through based on velocity and mass, but why does an arrow penetrate. Is it because of the size, the velocity or...?

Probably because of the extremely small contact point of the tip, where all the impact force is concentrated. Not only is the pressure magnified when force is concentrated in a small area, but the physical shape of the tip aids in splitting the kevlar weave that the vest layers are made of.

And if the arrow's tip is a broadhead, add razor sharp edges to the mix.

That would be my guess.

A knife an an arrow would go through because all of the energy is concentrated on just the tip if the blade. They would slip through like butter. Some London Metro Cops wear stab vests that help stop knife attacks. Its similar to the vests that some Correctional Officers wear.

A knife an an arrow would go through because all of the energy is concentrated on just the tip if the blade. They would slip through like butter. Some London Metro Cops wear stab vests that help stop knife attacks. Its similar to the vests that some Correctional Officers wear.

But, they're protected by leftist anti-knife laws!

mega-icon-smiley-thumbs-up.jpg

Now that’s what I call “two thumbs way up” for the great video.
Keep ‘em coming!​

Nice video, EC. From what I've read about vests I would expect an object with a small frontal cross section (like an arrow or ice pick) to penetrate many vests. IIRC, it's something about the sharp point being able to separate the strands of kevlar and force it's way between the fibers.

Even without penetration, the blunt force trauma from some of those rounds would be ....disconcerting! [laugh]

EC- you should do a video with your 700gr loads vs. various objects- paint can, watermelon, bulk size can of tomato paste, etc. a compilation of destruction video! Get a camera that could put it in super slo-mo too, it would be a youtube hit!

Ok...and I admit I know little about the physics of the situation...I'm curious, why would an arrow go right through? I understand the concept of the .22 going through based on size. I understand the 5.56 (.223) going through based on velocity and mass, but why does an arrow penetrate. Is it because of the size, the velocity or...?

Body armor can be cut extremely easily, not punctured, as it is a mesh. Think of a net or cloth which is strong until you start cutting it and then it starts to come apart. Body armor works the same way on a much smaller scale. Bladed hunting arrows are like little knives and it is those, not the points that allow them to go through. I doubt practice arrows would go through though.

just like anything else. speed kills! almost any popular rifle will easily penetrate body armor. the standard issue sapi plate can withstand 7.62 nato at point blank ranges. anything higher may or my not penetrate.

Hence, the term - small arms protective insert

no such thing as bullet proof, only resistant up to _____

just like anything else. speed kills! almost any popular rifle will easily penetrate body armor. the standard issue sapi plate can withstand 7.62 nato at point blank ranges. anything higher may or my not penetrate.

Hence, the term - small arms protective insert

no such thing as bullet proof, only resistant up to _____

Falls right in line with waterproof [grin] Ask any watchmaker about that!

AWESOME

The impact of the 750Gr was probably like getting hit by a dumptruck. No hole in you but every bone and organ in the chest area would have been smashed into mush.

Cross sectional density plays a huge role in penetration. An arrow will also go through sand bags that will stop most rifle rounds. [smile]

Taking the vest off the wooden frame helps asborb more of the penetration energy. It is likely those rounds would have penetrated if the vest had been backed with say, Modeling Clay typically used in testing balistic cloth vests.

If you're expecting to have .500 caliber rounds flung your way, better have a rifle plate.

AWESOME

The impact of the 750Gr was probably like getting hit by a dumptruck. No hole in you but every bone and organ in the chest area would have been smashed into mush.

The penetration test was interesting, but I really would have like to seen the trauma effects on a block of clay or ballistics gel.

Wow! [shocked] Pretty amazing stuff. How far were you from the vest in the test video?

Is that a popular vest for LEOs? If it is, they may want to upgrade a little.

I think Time Warp is going to be looking for you at the club.[laugh]

Is that a popular vest for LEOs? If it is, they may want to upgrade a little.

Why? You think that EddieCoyle is going to embark on a life of crime? [rolleyes]

Somehow, I don't that that many gang-bangers are going to start carrying a handgun that costs over a thousand dollars, weighs almost 5 pounds loaded (can you picture how fast the sheer weight would depants the average gang-banger when he shoves it into his waistband???) and shoots ammo that costs a dollar a round.

Besides... I think that all the ammo EC was shooting was handloaded. Gotta wonder how many gang-bangers load their own.

The vest was from a local dept. and was made by Safariland Ballistic Industries. The model was the "Magnum Extended Lite". That's the 2nd one I've shot up. I'm working on getting a 3rd. I've got everything from .177 airguns to .50BMG AP. I won't bother shooting the .50 but I wonder about those tiny pointed .177 pellets.Stay tuned for the next episode of "Eddie and Gerry Do Stupid Stuff"

Back
Top Bottom