S&W .380 Bodyguard Hype?

I just noticed that one of these is for sale for $700+ in our classifieds section (even though it costs $399 new). Other than that post being blatantly sketchy and attempting to take advantage of people who have no clue that they are getting ripped off, what is all the hype about this firearms? It does seem be flying off the shelves.

Im guessing the post was made before the gun was approved in MA. Thus making it more valuable. Yes, anything over $330 is a rip IMHO. I will be dumping my second one at some point for less then that even.

The "hype" is that it's the smallest, least crappy, and most commonly available.380 ACP firearm available in MA right now. Think about what it's up against... the PPK and the Sig P232... both of which are gigantic chunks of iron in comparison, not to mention the PPK has a trigger pull that is about 9 million pounds in DA. Oh, well, then there is the P238, but it's more expensive and it's SAO with an exposed hammer, which drives away a lot of buyers looking for guns in that size class.

-Mike

Kinda the same hype as the LCP, but this is round two: Better quality firearm, in a pocket .380 with a laser!

Frankly, this is what the demand has been in the firearms industry for the last year, and many people are on this hunt, for a compact 9mm or .380 that will fit in the pocket for personal protection.

As far as the sale of one for 700 bucks.. Yea, that was prior to them becoming MA compliant and is a similar sale to new Gen Glocks... Some folks will pay a preium to get what they want...

ETA: "drgrant" made a correct and great point as well.

Agreed.

There are so few small, pocketable guns available in MA (so few guns in general, for that matter), that any new product receives inordinate attention.

A good product, all the more attention.

Or better yet a Kahr PM9 @ only an extra 0.07" longer, 0.22" higher, 0.06" wider, 2 ounces heavier with a heck of a lot better ballistics. Yeah, so it can't touch the BG price, but IMO, it's worth it.

Or better yet a Kahr PM9 @ only an extra 0.07" longer, 0.22" higher, 0.06" wider, 2 ounces heavier with a heck of a lot better ballistics. Yeah, so it can't touch the BG price, but IMO, it's worth it.

+1

The new LC9 is going to give the Kahr a run for it's money if it can provide SR9 reliability. That and I'm still (im)patiently awaiting the PM40.

M&M in Plymouth has them for $359.99 all day long and there is presently a 35 person waiting list, but Pete said he could get it within a week.

mouse guns are for shooting to wound...

i'll stick to my G19 - [smile]

-two in the chest, one in the head and the throw away PK380 with a wash cloth. [rofl]

I've never had anyone come back to the store claiming reliability issues, care to elaborate?

When you used the term "SR9 reliability" I thought you were making a joke, because "SR9 reliability" is an oxymoron in my opinion. lol.

Not saying that my opinion is fact, just my thoughts. Ruger makes decent firearms, and some very good fireamrs, but has always made crappy semi-auto handguns except for their great .22's (Mk series).

I have always thought the Ruger SR9 was a POS from handling it, then firing it. Obviously it is very new, and time will tell, but I'm just stubborn. lol.

I also think it is sad that the LCP had a recall, AND the SR9 had recalls:
http://www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/index.html

The ruger centerfires actually work pretty well, but yes, you can get a dud here and there. The old P series (eg, P89 etc) are probably the most reliable of them all, though. I'm not a big fan of the SR9 or the P345, though. I'd still much rather see someone buy either of those than a known junker like a Hi Point, etc, though.

-Mike

I've handled both and although the differences are very small it makes a world of a difference when handling it. The weight and size difference seems greater in person than what they appear on paper as numbers. But that's just imo.

I've handled both and although the differences are very small it makes a world of a difference when handling it. The weight and size difference seems greater in person than what they appear on paper as numbers. But that's just imo.

I would imagine the weight difference would grow larger with both weapons fully loaded, though I'm not familiar with the actual weight of the .380's and how it compares to 9mm Luger.

P1030515.jpg

laser, reliability, size and accuracy all for $360.00!

[laugh2]

my pm9 is better but a hell of a lot more money. think i'll be buying one of these bg's for wifey when she gets her ltc. my brother is supposed to be taking class too and he'll probably end up with the lc9 when its avail in mass as a pm9 is out of his budget

Did the BG get stuck with a 10lb trigger pull?

I think it's DAO, so it probably does suck, and the suck-ness will have nothing to do with the AG's BS, either. I've only dry fired one exactly ONE time, so I don't exactly remember it... I don't remember it being "MA compliant M&P type of horrendous" though... that's a trigger that is so s**ty that you will never forget how bad it is.

-Mike

Is the hype over? Seen a lot of these turn up in the classifieds lately, been thinking about one as an ankle/pocket gun id be more comfortable wearing to work but is there something in particular people dont like about them or trying to make up for an impulse buy while theyre still hot?

Back
Top Bottom