S&W 1911 Question

I'm going down to FS in Woburn to pick up a S&W 1911,my question is anybody have any experience with the blueing oppose to the SS version. I'm leaning towards the blue model but need some help in deciding.TIA,FJR05

S&W

I have a stainless for sale in the classifieds board. It is a full size stainless with a tactical rail...You can save some money over new...

I have the blue (actually more black) version and love it. However the finish will wear if you use it for a primary carry gun. Mine is showing color sorta fading at the muzzle. If I was to get another, as a carry gun, it would be the stainless version.

The 'blued' one is pretty though.

1911sc.jpg

I'm going down to FS in Woburn to pick up a S&W 1911,my question is anybody have any experience with the blueing oppose to the SS version. I'm leaning towards the blue model but need some help in deciding.TIA,FJR05

They work the same.

I would actually recommend the blue version. I have the stainless and its a bitch to keep clean. The front turns black every time I take it the range and its a pain to get all the powder marks off. Functionally they are the same but if you like a clean gun, I would go blue.

I would actually recommend the blue version. I have the stainless and its a bitch to keep clean. The front turns black every time I take it the range and its a pain to get all the powder marks off. Functionally they are the same but if you like a clean gun, I would go blue.

Have you tried a very light buffing with 0000 steel wool? That works with my Gold Cup...

I agree. I eventually will sell or trade my SS version for a blued 1911 or whatever S&W calls their darker finish.

Cleaning a SS gun.

Next time you stop at the gun shop look for a Lewis Lead Remover Cloth. Same color as the Silicone cloths so make sure it say's Lead Remover.

Wipe the blackened area and it will be gone. Same issues with the front of the cylinder on any SS or Nickle Wheel gun. I clean the front of the cylinders on my Nickle Colt Single actions that way a couple times a year.

While abrasive it's not as serious at using steel wool.

Hope that helps,

Let us know what you eventually buy and how much you paid.

I have the stainless and its a bitch to keep clean. The front turns black every time I take it the range and its a pain to get all the powder marks off.

Um, I have to ask. Why do you bother? A little discoloring never hurt a gun, stainless or otherwise. And a stainless gun is less likely to rust than a carbon steel gun (though I have to admit that I don't know if S&W's dark colored 1911s are blackened stainless steel or blackened carbon steel).

What are you using for a solvent? ? I've never had a lick of trouble keeping stainless semis clean.

-Mike

Um, I have to ask. Why do you bother? A little discoloring never hurt a gun, stainless or otherwise. And a stainless gun is less likely to rust than a carbon steel gun (though I have to admit that I don't know if S&W's dark colored 1911s are blackened stainless steel or blackened carbon steel).
Just personal preference. I'm a little OCD with my guns and each gets completely cleaned (inside and out) after every time I go shooting. I like to know that the gun is 100% before I shoot it and there is very little chance of something jamming or not functioning properly from lack of cleaning and oil. To give you an idea, here is my S&W 1911. I'd say there has been +3k rounds through it.

IMG_1153.jpg

Last edited:
What are you using for a solvent? ? I've never had a lick of trouble keeping stainless semis clean.

-Mike
I use Hoppes #9 mostly or Powder Blast / Brake Clean. They work great on the powder itself but don't work well on the muzzle for some reason. I'll have to try some of the other ideas posted here.

S&W 1911 Blue

I'm back, I choose the Blue Model looked at both. Out the door price with the ajustable sites SKU#108299 wood grips with rebate, less tax and two% discount for cash a little over Seven Hundred. Oh well a lot of money but I'm happy.Thanks for all the input.FJR05

I use Hoppes #9 mostly or Powder Blast / Brake Clean. They work great on the powder itself but don't work well on the muzzle for some reason. I'll have to try some of the other ideas posted here.

That's odd. I have a stainless S&W1911 and the Hoppes#9 solvent takes the poweder burns off of the nose easily.

My stainless S&W 1911 gets very dirty (when it gets shot, WWB) but I prefer stainless over blued.

Of course a Stainless gun doesn't get any dirtier then a Blued gun you just see it more.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Last edited:
I have both a blued 1911PD and a Stainless Govt with a rail.

The Stainless one does get a little discolored after firing however, I've never had any issues at all cleaning it off with break-free.

The blued finish will wear off after use or if you carry it as Pilgrim stated.
The stainless will be more durable.

I prefer the stainless.

You can see part of the discoloration on the stainless one here.
The other ones are 1911PD's (blued)
1zlgpqc.jpg

Here's how I resolved that dilemma:

1911.jpg

The blueing makes the bullets go faster. Makes them more accurate too. Switching out the wooden grips for black rubber ones helps even more. At least that's my story, and I'm sticking with it [smile]

The blueing makes the bullets go faster. Makes them more accurate too. Switching out the wooden grips for black rubber ones helps even more. At least that's my story, and I'm sticking with it [smile]

Newbie. [rolleyes]

Us real pistoleros know you need an ambidextrous safety because it makes the gun twice as safe to handle the higher bullet velocity.

Oh - and a fiber optic sight because seeing the target faster is what makes those bullets go faster.

Blued guns are only cool when they show holster wear and lots of use! I have the DK version that has a blued carbon slide, SS frame. It's an awesome gun. Plus it does have the ambi safety and mag well so the bullets go real fast in this baby! ;)

Stainless Steel is heavier, but overall easier to keep clean (M Pro-7 patches and a toothbrush are all I need to keep my stainless looking pleanty clean) also you can't scratch-off the stainless as its the whole gun.

If you want a range/ home defence gun I'd recomend a fullsize Stainless

You want a Carry gun I'd Recomend the 1911SC or 1911PD as they're quite a bit lighter.

I personally think stainless looks nicer too. But that's me

My Smith is stainless. It gets dirty when shooting, but it easily comes off with Break Free.

1911side.jpg

I have both blued and and stainless. They function the same, but for some reason I like the blued look better. Just a little anyway.

Back
Top Bottom