Ruger to buy Marlin

StevieP

NES Member

September 30, 2020
Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) announced today that its offer to purchase substantially all of the Marlin Firearms assets was accepted by Remington Outdoor Company, Inc. and approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama. The Company will pay the $30 million purchase price from cash on hand at the time of closing, which is expected to occur in October.

"The value of Marlin and its 150-year legacy was too great of an opportunity for us to pass up," said Ruger President and CEO Chris Killoy. "The brand aligns perfectly with ours and the Marlin product portfolio will help us widen our already diverse product offerings."

The transaction is exclusively for the Marlin Firearms assets. Remington firearms, ammunition, other Remington Outdoor brands, and all facilities and real estate are excluded from the Ruger purchase. Once the purchase is completed, the Company will begin the process of relocating the Marlin Firearms assets to existing Ruger manufacturing facilities.

"The important thing for consumers, retailers and distributors to know at this point in time," continued Killoy, "is that the Marlin brand and its great products will live on. Long Live the Lever Gun."

Additional information will be released when available. To stay up to date, please sign up for our contact list using the link below.

I mean, besides a better lever gun than a Winnie??? Sad to see another great New England gun shop go South. :(. Better than going under, I guess.

I assume the TM means Trademark and isn't some new model, yes?

I mean, besides a better lever gun than a Winnie??? Sad to see another great New England gun shop go South. :(. Better than going under, I guess.

I assume the TM means Trademark and isn't some new model, yes?
Remington closed up the New Haven factory and moved all the equipment down South when they bought Marlin. No point bringing it back to CT, all the metalworking expertise retired, died or moved away long ago and who would want to build a plant in a commie state anyway?

Remington closed up the New Haven factory and moved all the equipment down South when they bought Marlin. No point bringing it back to CT, all the metalworking expertise retired, died or moved away long ago and who would want to build a plant in a commie state anyway?

oh I know. Still lamenting it.

Everyone that bought a Marlin 1895 off gunbroker in the last 2 years just lost a grand when these come back into production.

It depends on the quality of the new generation of rifles. If the new rifles suck, the 'last Marlins' value will go up until Ruger/Marlin fixes the problem and gets over bad PR.

You sure about that ???
IIRC, Remington moved the Marlin tooling and machinery from Hartford to NY, and built the Marlin line at their Ilion plant.
From what I understand, the quality issues with the Remlin guns was due to the old machinery and lack of a workforce that was skilled in operating it. So it's doubtful that Ruger actually moved the old antiquated Marlin equipment again from NY to NC, when all they really needed was legal ownership of the rights to Marlins intellectual property, including plans, patents, blueprints and trademarks.
Ruger likely outfitted the new NC plant with modern CNC machinery to streamline production and correct quality control issues.

roadkillrob said:
Everyone that bought a Marlin 1895 off gunbroker in the last 2 years just lost a grand when these come back into production.

Maybe, maybe not.
When Colt introduced the new Python, did the value of the old ones go down ???

Last edited:
Still kicking myself I didn't get a 95 back when they were cheap 2 years ago. I need one like an additional hole in my head, but I think it would be a nice gun to own. I've already got a 45-70 NEF Handi. (Ceramic back plates not included.). Hell, I kept all the stuff to reload BP with it as well. (Not that I'd use BP in a 95.)

Oh well. Maybe these end up being nice and I STILL find an old Marlin-made Marlin at a reasonable cost in a year or three.

So it's doubtful that Ruger actually moved the old antiquated Marlin equipment again from NY to NC, when all they really needed was legal ownership of the rights to Marlins intellectual property, including plans, patents, blueprints and trademarks.

View: https://www.facebook.com/MarlinFirearms/photos/a.132512676802332/4219966008056958/

Remington moved the New Haven equipment/tooling to NY and realized it was worn out. They replaced it with all new equipment except for the rifling machine (Remington used their own instead from the early 1900s). When Ruger bought Marlin, they took all the tooling except for the rifling machine which remained Remington's property.

It depends on the quality of the new generation of rifles. If the new rifles suck, the 'last Marlins' value will go up until Ruger/Marlin fixes the problem and gets over bad PR.
They won't suck. They will be 100x better than Remington.

View: https://www.facebook.com/MarlinFirearms/photos/a.132512676802332/4219966008056958/

Remington moved the New Haven equipment/tooling to NY and realized it was worn out. They replaced it with all new equipment except for the rifling machine (Remington used their own instead from the early 1900s). When Ruger bought Marlin, they took all the tooling except for the rifling machine which remained Remington's property.

OK, so it's not the original worn out tooling from Marlins plant in CT, it's newer machinery that Remington purchased when they made the marlins in NY.

Still kicking myself I didn't get a 95 back when they were cheap 2 years ago. I need one like an additional hole in my head, but I think it would be a nice gun to own. I've already got a 45-70 NEF Handi. (Ceramic back plates not included.). Hell, I kept all the stuff to reload BP with it as well. (Not that I'd use BP in a 95.)

Oh well. Maybe these end up being nice and I STILL find an old Marlin-made Marlin at a reasonable cost in a year or three.
For BP you want a Uberti, not some POS Remington.

Even with a Uberti, I cry a little thinking of what a pain in the a** it would be to clean the BP.

OK, so it's not the original worn out tooling from Marlins plant in CT, it's newer machinery that Remington purchased when they made the marlins in NY.
More information:
...Immediately after seeing the barrels be made, we came to a single room where 80% of the equipment to make a Marlin rifle sits. None of that machinery existed 4 years ago, and none of it came from Connecticut. This was what I came to the factory to see. The failing Connecticut machinery was replaced with what I was looking at. The new CNC machines are a wonder to witness as they churn out receivers, bolts, carriers, fasteners; all the goodies that make a modern Marlin such a clean design. Take a 2018 made Marlin. Set it next to a pre-2006 JM stamped rifle. You will notice how sharp and clean the lines are on all the metal work of the new gun. That’s a result of computer CNC machining. Ironically, if you were to listen to the internet trolls, you’d think these new cleaner lines were somehow a bad sign of the times. Nope, old equipment makes receivers that look nostalgic yes, but are out of spec by modern standards from a tolerance perspective....
A big part of the quality issue with early "Remlins" was because new staff was working with the old equipment from CT and didn't understand the tricks to make the loose tolerances work that the experienced CT staff had learned on the job over the years. When Remington bought Marlin new CNC equipment to get within modern tolerances the quality issues went away except for the wood quality people bitched about.

Maybe Marlger can re introduce a 2000 880
Rifle with decent aperture match sights that can shoot .5” at 50 yards thats not $1200+

Does Marlin still make the 783?

If not, that might be my request.
MAYODAN, NC., Oct. 06, 2021.
Christopher J. Killoy, Ruger CEO, said the first Marlin rifle to be delivered in December 2021 from their Mayodan, NC plant will be the Marlin model 1895SBL in 45-70.

Killroy indicated that the company will release this model first and will be followed up by some 336 models and the popular model 444 as well. These centerfire rifles will then be followed up by some model 1894's in 357 and 44 magnum.
So most likely you'll have to request that Ruger have Marlin start making the 783 again. Which maybe they would as a bolt action .22lr youth rifle.

Definately quality coming out of there. I have a new 336 and will buy the 1894 in 44 mag if they ever get around to making it.

Was able to sell my old Remlin for more than I paid for it too, which was good deal. I really can't complain about the Remlin though, it was a good gun that ran well. Definately not the quality and attention to detail the Ruger made had though.

That said.... 1K for a lever is pushing the limits of its value, but for me its a lifetime gun that will be handed down. Setup with safety delete and skinner peep its ready to rock and roll for deer season in KY.

Definately quality coming out of there. I have a new 336 and will buy the 1894 in 44 mag if they ever get around to making it.

Was able to sell my old Remlin for more than I paid for it too, which was good deal. I really can't complain about the Remlin though, it was a good gun that ran well. Definately not the quality and attention to detail the Ruger made had though.

That said.... 1K for a lever is pushing the limits of its value, but for me its a lifetime gun that will be handed down. Setup with safety delete and skinner peep its ready to rock and roll for deer season in KY.

The Remlins that were made after they retooled following the initial debacle are pretty good, some actually great. I had a later 1894CSBL that was literally perfect in all areas and I presently have a 336SS Remlin that is perfect as well (but does have some rather plain wood). I have also seen some pretty bad Remlins, some that wouldn't even cycle (couldn't even get the action open) sitting on gunshop shelves. How the hell does something like that get out and actually get put on a shelf for sale.

The Remlins that were made after they retooled following the initial debacle are pretty good, some actually great. I had a later 1894CSBL that was literally perfect in all areas and I presently have a 336SS Remlin that is perfect as well (but does have some rather plain wood). I have also seen some pretty bad Remlins, some that wouldn't even cycle (couldn't even get the action open) sitting on gunshop shelves. How the hell does something like that get out and actually get put on a shelf for sale.
The early 2012-2014 models were ass....worse than ass. Remington sucks in general so that's how that happened.....they didn't care about doing it right until people shit on them so bad they had to do something, which was part of their demise.

All of my Remlins are very late model, very good.........some nice quality wood on them too. Especially the 45-70.....still nothing like Ruger made.

I bought them on the cheap as soon as I heard Remington was going belly up and figured I'd never see a Marlin again. Then Ruger bought them.

If you haven't seen the Rugers though.......its the best Marlin ever produced for quality, fit and finish. Even JM Marlins dont come close.

People can keep the old overpriced JM shitters that used to cost 350 in every gun rack, in every shop. I'll wait for Ruger to step up and get their new guns out.

The only way Im buying a JM is if its $500 or less. Otherwise, if I'm spending real money, its a new Ruger made.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom