Ruger to acquire Marlin

Ruger hasn't made a lever gun since their Model 96, which wasn't a big seller.

I'd LOVE to see the Model 96 come back again. If it had a few ideas from Marlin integrated, that would also be fine. How about that microgroove rifling?

Make it in .22, .357, .44 for starters. Heck, bring in 9mm as well!

Would LOVE to see a magazine fed .17 Hornet and/or .17 WSM.

Last edited:
I'd LOVE to see the Model 96 come back again. If it had a few ideas from Marlin integrated, that would also be fine. How about that microgroove rifling?

Make it in .22, .357, .44 for starters. Heck, bring in 9mm as well!

Would LOVE to see a magazine fed .17 Hornet and/or .17 WSM.
When Ruger announced they're now making the Marlin 1895 in .45-70, they said they're not using microgroove rifling.

Microgroove is probably dead.

They turn all their guns into billboards anyway. "Don't point this at your face. Read the instructions..." An lci and a logo will be the least of their problems as far as esthetics goes
That's just disgusting. Don't say that! I can just imagine their phoenix across a brand new stainless steel 1895SBL as we speak.

They turn all their guns into billboards anyway. "Don't point this at your face. Read the instructions..." An lci and a logo will be the least of their problems as far as esthetics goes
Yes, but I can live with the lawyer billboards on a polymer framed gun. There's something wrong with doing it to wood and steel.

These are some old machines to be using in modern manufacturing.

616314f75e775369b8a438566cf54cd5560972d9c1f1a.jpg

These are some old machines to be using in modern manufacturing.

616314f75e775369b8a438566cf54cd5560972d9c1f1a.jpg
You would be surprised how many WW2 machines are still being used to manufacture ammo and guns.

Guns haven't really changed in the past 60-70 years. There have been some small changes in bolts for semi auto guns, but that's about it. You still have 100 year old guns that can outshoot modern guns.

Wars are still being won using a gun designed in 1947.

Last edited:
You would ve surprised how many WW2 machines are still being used to manufacture ammo and guns.

Guns haven't really changed in the past 60-70 years. There have been some small changes in bolts for semi auto guns, but that's about it. You still have 100 year old guns that can outshoot modern guns.

Wars are still being won using a gun designed in 1947.
BuT It'S nOt ShInY. WhErE aRe ThE cOmPuToRz?

I wonder, with all the expired patents, if someone could take the BEST of the BEST, of all the different designs out there, and come up with a new old gun. Use the best ideas and modern materials and more modern machinery, and make an inexpensive, accurate, long lasting, profit producing rifle. Make a lever, a bolt, and a break open version.

I wonder, with all the expired patents, if someone could take the BEST of the BEST, of all the different designs out there, and come up with a new old gun. Use the best ideas and modern materials and more modern machinery, and make an inexpensive, accurate, long lasting, profit producing rifle. Make a lever, a bolt, and a break open version.
Already been done. Uberti lever actions.

Several companies making quality Sharps rifles, rolling blocks, new trapdoors...

All quality that will last.

Also, every new lever action today will last well over 100 years, so not sure what you are asking for. Are you asking for more plastic junk?

Manufacturing technology determines what is possible to make, at the time.

Reproductions of old designs are expensive today, because the design still relies on 100+ year old manufacturing methods. You can use CNC and sintered metal all you want, but the parts are still the same shape as when they were filed by hand for fitting.

If you used the best of modern technology to make an M1 Garand or Lee-Enfield No.4, they would still be insanely expensive compared to modern guns, just because of their complex designs.

Manufacturing technology determines what is possible to make, at the time.

Reproductions of old designs are expensive today, because the design still relies on 100+ year old manufacturing methods. You can use CNC and sintered metal all you want, but the parts are still the same shape as when they were filed by hand for fitting.

If you used the best of modern technology to make an M1 Garand or Lee-Enfield No.4, they would still be insanely expensive compared to modern guns, just because of their complex designs.
When I look at old guns like the Luger and Mauser C96 and how complex and how many parts make up those guns, I realize that that was how the creators made guns when they didn't have the stuff we do today. It led to complex guns and lots of time to make them, but the guns worked well enough and with the amount of time put into tooling and fixturing it was likely easier to design a new gun than make modifications to the process of the current gun.

The main reason why Germany wanted to drop the P08 for the P38 was cost due to the time it took to make them.

I'm not saying that old manual machine tools can't be used in modern manufacturing, if anything the can improve quality as the operator has more awareness and control over what feature they are machining into the metal, but they're never going to be as fast as modern CNC machines are.

I would like to know what those old machines are used for, they may just be used to drill holes in the stock and forend and for that they're more than adequate.

If the ways, etc. aren't worn out, there's nothing wrong with them.
That must be true:

My junior high school metal shop teacher
(who dug metal shop) clued me in to the whole
"public school teacher summer job side gig" deal.

And he complained that the boss at his machinist summer job
was always on him to brush chips off the bed of his metal lathe.

Geez, everything Ruger makes looks like a 10/22 I guess
OMG, the barrel band had me thinking that.

Some might think that's an obscure feature to obsess over.
But as I PMed someone 4 years ago,
I have a history with Ruger barrel bands:

I removed the (plastic!) barrel band, and bedded the forestock with a few layers of 3M electrical tape (rather than building up the barrel). I cut the tape strips narrowly enough to not be visible under the band.​
So, when I reapplied the barrel band, the band tip flanges had spread just enough to accommodate the sling's swivel stud.​

I read that hack somewhere on the Intarwebs -
it wasn't my own bright idea.

But as far as I'm concerned,
it sure beats modifying the sling's tab
or the barrel band itself.

Last edited:
And here is Henry:

View attachment 535900

And Uberti for the win. Top ejection, the way it should be.
View attachment 535902

So f*cking hot. I just fapped to this pic.

If anyone is on the fence about a lever action, do yourself a favor and try a Uberti.
James Marlin made a beautiful strong and smooth lever gun. Arguably the best bet for longevity in a similar size frame.

Winchester 1873-1886s were by far more beautiful and as you said Uberti absolutely nailed the reproduction.
1886s are stupid strong but giant!

Damn I need a 73 in 45 Colt sooo bad.

Anyone ever read the history of Marlin/Winchester.

Marlin was always a step ahead. They really pissed off Winchester.

And here is Henry:

View attachment 535900

And Uberti for the win. Top ejection, the way it should be.
View attachment 535902

So f*cking hot. I just fapped to this pic.

If anyone is on the fence about a lever action, do yourself a favor and try a Uberti.
I've been thinking that *someday* I'll want a 45-70 lever gun in addition to my Henry 357.
Now I'll have to seriously consider that Uberti. Wow.

Back
Top Bottom