• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger to acquire Marlin

And the primer market.

This can go two ways ... keep prices reasonable to prevent competition from entering the market or go full retard.
They still have to compete with the imports...if it weren’t for the Japanese entering the auto market in the early 70’s, the only thing you’d be able to buy is a $70,000 Buick that doesn’t run...

I hate the term "fudd" or "fuddish." Not everyone wants to be a tactifool range commando. Hopefully someone can restore this brand and bring back the quality it had in the past.

It's the only term I could think of. I think they will make Remington into the Ball & Buck of firearms manufacturers. Classy hunting and clay guns with some 1911s in the mix. The kind of guns fathers hand down to their sons over generations. That sort of thing.

It would be kinda sad if they Discontinue them. Im glad I have bought all the Marlin models I wanted and then some.
I can see them going up in cost if Ruger is going to make them.

I can see them stopping any .22 rifle production as it competes with their 22 rifle lineup.
which would suck- i have an old model 60 that is shockingly accurate.

It's the only term I could think of. I think they will make Remington into the Ball & Buck of firearms manufacturers. Classy hunting and clay guns with some 1911s in the mix. The kind of guns fathers hand down to their sons over generations. That sort of thing.
The true definition of a fudd is the Mitt Romney type at the range who lectures YOU about owning an AR-15, or insists that "nobody needs a clip with 15 rounds". If you happen to prefer owning bolt or lever guns, have not been neutered, and leave people in the RKBA community the F alone, you are not a fudd.

Ruger also made their Gold Label side-by-side shotguns, which were so stupid expensive they couldn't sell them.

Yes and no. I ordered a gold label at the initial price of 1400. Which for true single trigger side by side of any quality is cheap. I would have been giddy to pay 1400 for a 6 pound american made side by sid

In typical Ruger fashion they announced it two years before they got any out to gun shops. They then trickled a few out at 1500 dollars and discontinued it immediately after. Before my shop
Could even get my order. I did see one or two new in shops for 1800 that were quickly bought up.

After that, The precious few that you saw around ( I saw one at Cabelas once for 3 grand used) went up in price because they are as rare as a Republican voter in Cambridge.

I had heard they discontinued them for problems with safety. I just think they couldn’t produce them for nearly what they initially priced them at.
Therefore losing their market as there were at the time some nice doubles you could buy for 2500.

Now there are makers like CZ that produce some ok entry level guns sub 1k. other Turkish makers Like Dickenson, produce a few for just north of 1k that are really nice In wood and fit. Occasionally you come across a BSS but they are rare as hens teeth andprices are up.

Anything real good in a double. Think 5k.

Last edited:
I don't know.
Looking at the Marlin website-
For a lot more theres winchester.
For a little bit more theres the Uberti case hardened lever gun and those things run.
For a little bit less theres the Henry and those things run.

Could be it for Marlin.

K&K Hardware in Bettendorf, IA had a 44 Marlin on pegs in the hunting section in 1972. My Dad sent me down with some money to buy it and the clerk asked if my parents knew I was buying it. I just said sure, where would I get this handful of money if they didn’t know? I carried that rifle 3/4mi up from the Mississippi River channel to my home 400ft uphill, without anyone batting an eye.

Looking forward to the Acquisition and Development of the New Marlin Line. News is slim on the status/updates though...

It wouldn’t seem much. This has to do with Remington not living up to the terms of its union contract, but with Remington bankrupt I’m not sure how they expect to get blood from a stone. The assets were bought and what remains isn’t Remington anymore, other than in name.

Well, not sure what it means for Ruger, but there is this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLZa39VkRwQ

Welcome to the world of asset sales under bankruptcy law. They should blame their union for failing to negotiate a better deal. Union labor and a craftsmanlike approach to the job don't usually mix well in a manufacturing environment. The union bosses missed a lot of opportunities here.

As a counterexample, during the recession in the early 80s the Springfield Remanufacturing Company, a division of International Harvester, was going to be closed down. The employees, led by their plant manager (who was a peon in the IH hierarchy) bought the company and created a corporate culture known as Open Book Management. The company did brilliantly and many employees became multimillionaires from their stock.

That's just disgusting. Don't say that! I can just imagine their phoenix across a brand new stainless steel 1895SBL as we speak.
MAYODAN, NC., Oct. 06, 2021.
Christopher J. Killoy, Ruger CEO, said the first Marlin rifle to be delivered in December 2021 from their Mayodan, NC plant will be the Marlin model 1895SBL in 45-70.

Killroy indicated that the company will release this model first and will be followed up by some 336 models and the popular model 444 as well. These centerfire rifles will then be followed up by some model 1894's in 357 and 44 magnum.

He also indicated that the Marlin famous Microgroove and Ballard rifling have been replaced with their method of rifling and that initial results are offering extremely good accuracy that they are use to producing from their other centerfire rifles in the Ruger line.

The model choice for first release is a proven best seller from past Marlin releases and is anticipated to sell very well.

The company emphasized that although initial availability will be light they expect to ramp up quickly.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_AHFat3yqE

View: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=527496131665085

That's just disgusting. Don't say that! I can just imagine their phoenix across a brand new stainless steel 1895SBL as we speak.
Not to worry ! There's "a guy" over at the Rimfire Central forum that makes awesome clean fitting "LCI" inserts for the Ruger MK series .22 pistols so you don't have to look at the ugly RED painted flip out indicator, i'm sure he will be all over the Marlins' as required !

Back
Top Bottom