• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger to acquire Marlin

Ruger hasn't made a lever gun since their Model 96, which wasn't a big seller.

It would be kinda sad if they Discontinue them. Im glad I have bought all the Marlin models I wanted and then some.
I can see them going up in cost if Ruger is going to make them.

I can see them stopping any .22 rifle production as it competes with their 22 rifle lineup.

This is the best thing that could happen for Marlin.
Ruger is one of the best companies around right now for innovations. New cartridges. New firearms.
maybe they will breathe some life into Marlin and offer some out of the ordinary lever guns like. 9mm or 10mm 1894.
If anyone is going to do it Ruger would.

I was saying Ruger could use a lever and shotgun line. Probably the best buyer for Marlin.

I imagine all the lever actions will get a transfer bar. Stainless models to compliment their revolver lineup.
Nah no need they already have a safety and a 2 piece firing pin to prevent out of battery firing.

Ruger is one of the best companies around right now for innovations. New cartridges. New firearms.
maybe they will breathe some life into Marlin and offer some out of the ordinary lever guns like. 9mm or 10mm 1894.
Maybe they can offer a nice cowboy lever action to go with the Ruger Vaquero.

I dont think anyone could f*ck it up worse than Remington did when they acquired the company.

This reminds me, someone needs to post a link to that thread about the guy that was angry because he wrote to Ruger to tell them what gun they should build and Ruger didn't reply to him. [laugh]
@drgrant I am sure you have that link somewhere.

Last edited:
The head of the international realestate investment group which purchased Remington itself, rifles shotguns, 1911s, is from CT, owns a farm in VT, and went to Vanderbilt university in Tennessee. Big polo player. Could very well be sportsman that wants a high quality fudd firearms company as a hobby. Can't imagine the real estate or IP is worth much unless one wants to run a firearms company and while wealthy, buying them to shut them down would require Bloomberg sized f you money to take such a loss intentionally.

Didn't ruger make a shotgun at one time?
Between the six guns, the newly acquired lever gun patents, and shotguns, they have themselves an all in one s.a.s.s. kit.

Ruger made some decent Red Label line for years, of which I have several. Some people had problems with them. They pulled them for cost. Think they started getting up near 2K and its tough to compete with the B guns in that realm.

They came out with a Side by Side that ran in production for like 1 or 2 years and they pulled it, I think for safety reasons. I would have bought one. Now they are rare and expensive.

They tried to make a reasonably priced reintro of the O/U and ran production like 1 year and shelved it for too high costs and issues as well. Again their goal being pricing below the B guns.

They will make a better quality gun than Remlin did. It will likely cost more. I have a couple newer Remlins and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. Some of the fit is better than my old Marlins. The finish, is definately cheaper and less refined in the metal and finish coating as its not bluing anymore I don't think, the wood, honestly new Marlins have better figuring, a more satin finish, and better looking walnut is what I'm seeing.

I think when the bad Remlins came out, yes they were awful, but then they got better, and people really started criticizing them and going overboard. Ive seen some pretty crappy JM guns too, and the old Marlins pretty much never had any decent wood. The stocks on my Remlins are beautiful.

Glad that Ruger bought them, they have always been a gun company that tried to make a good gun at working mans prices. They do it well with the 10/22 and American line of rifles are outstanding accuracy for the price. Hopefully they can make quality Marlin Levers and keep the prices down below the Miroku made Winchesters which is the holy grail of quality, but they are the highest priced as well.

Last edited:
One of the rifles I always wanted was the Marlin 39 22 lr clone of the 1894 maybe it will be brought back by Ruger for less than the cost of a high end 45 1911.

That's good news that Ruger bought Marlin. What will happen to the actual Remington brand?
Purchased by this company:
Founded by this fellow:
Who seems like a potential good fit for the remaining Fuddish lineup under the Remington name.

Back
Top Bottom