Ruger SR9c

I've had nothing but positive experience with my SR9c. I did have a couple of FTFs on full mags when I first bought it, but I realized I was riding the slide a bit. I found that due to the stiffness of the magazine spring anything other than a true slingshot approach could cause a misfeed, at least until the spring loosened up a bit.

Other than that (which was my fault) it's been utterly reliable, and definitely a high value firearm.

I've had nothing but positive experience with my SR9c. I did have a couple of FTFs on full mags when I first bought it, but I realized I was riding the slide a bit. I found that due to the stiffness of the magazine spring anything other than a true slingshot approach could cause a misfeed, at least until the spring loosened up a bit.

Other than that (which was my fault) it's been utterly reliable, and definitely a high value firearm.

TBalls,

Was yours rough at first? My slide feels gritty and I can't depress the slide stop without two thumbs. I haven't put any rounds through it yet.

Last edited:
TBalls,

Was yours rough at first? My slide feels gritty and I can't depress the slide stop without two thumbs. I haven't put any rounds through it yet.

you really need to work the slide stop in. i sat around on the couch releasing the slide to break it in. now I can release it one thumb fairly easy. It is tight, but it just takes some time to break in.

you really need to work the slide stop in. i sat around on the couch releasing the slide to break it in. now I can release it one thumb fairly easy. It is tight, but it just takes some time to break in.

I'm hoping this is true. If you google SR9c slide stop, you'll get two very different opinions. Some say its not meant as a slide release, some say it is. Mine only has maybe 500 rounds through it, but it still won't budge. The manual says that it is a slide release, but it sure isn't working as one. Most of the internet commandos seems to think it'll loosen up with time.

I'm hoping this is true. If you google SR9c slide stop, you'll get two very different opinions. Some say its not meant as a slide release, some say it is. Mine only has maybe 500 rounds through it, but it still won't budge. The manual says that it is a slide release, but it sure isn't working as one. Most of the internet commandos seems to think it'll loosen up with time.

I use mine as a slide stop, and it is very easy to actuate. I think it is something that really needs some rounds put through the gun to break in. I bought my SR9c slightly used (maybe 100 rds down the pipe), and it was flawless from the first time I took it to the range. I have put 5, or 600 more through it, and the only malfunction was a fail to eject one casing while my wife was trying it. It was her first time ever shooting, though, so I figure it may have been limp wristing, or some other operator error on her part. The slide release, and safety definitely have a better feel then they did when I first got it, so I would say it is probably just that the gun is very tight when new, but breaks in beautifully.[wink]

Its true for at least myself. I cant speak for others, but I now use it flawlessly with the slide release. Whats funny is my friends try using the slide release and they have to muscle it. I think it is a combination of breaking it in and just pushing down on it just right. I don't have to muscle it.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk

Went to ZHA and got to handle one.
That grip is so small without the pinkey mag are you guys with big hands having trouble shooting this gun with the flat mag?

My hands arent big by any means but I dont care for it much without the pinky extension, I ordered extra off rugers site when I picked up spare mags. Simple enough to change out.

Went to ZHA and got to handle one.
That grip is so small without the pinkey mag are you guys with big hands having trouble shooting this gun with the flat mag?

Well, I thought so at first because I have big hands, but I just got used to it. I had it with the extended mag plates at first, and the grip is perfect, but I found it was harder to conceal well that way. The hooked bottom would print through my shirt with a kind of point sticking through. No one ever noticed, but I didn't like that, so I switched to the flat plates, and it is MUCH easier to conceal that way! I just had to modify my grip slightly so that my pinky goes under the mag as part of my support system with the other hand. It was slightly awkward initially, but became second nature very quickly. For me having the gun conceal perfectly was more important than having a perfect grip, and it is still a much more substantial grip than the subcompacts like the BG380 that I have held.

Well, I thought so at first because I have big hands, but I just got used to it. I had it with the extended mag plates at first, and the grip is perfect, but I found it was harder to conceal well that way. The hooked bottom would print through my shirt with a kind of point sticking through. No one ever noticed, but I didn't like that, so I switched to the flat plates, and it is MUCH easier to conceal that way! I just had to modify my grip slightly so that my pinky goes under the mag as part of my support system with the other hand. It was slightly awkward initially, but became second nature very quickly. For me having the gun conceal perfectly was more important than having a perfect grip, and it is still a much more substantial grip than the subcompacts like the BG380 that I have held.

I was holding the grip with no mag in the gun It looks like the flat mag will give a little more legnth when in the gun no?

Last edited:
I was holding the grip with no mag in the gun It looks like the flat mag will give a little more legnth when in the gun no?

Yes, but only an 1/8", or so, and there is a slight tang on the front edge which helps so you don't slip off the grip with the 3rd finger. As I said, it was a bit awkward at first when compared to a full size gun with full grip, or even this one with the mag extensions, but is still very easy to get used to - at least it was for me.

The other thing I noticed is the hole in the slide where the barrel comes through has already been chipping right on the inside edge on the right and left slides. I still haven't fired it yet. Has this happened to anyone else?

Talked directly with a service technician at Ruger and he said if you use it as a slide release eventually your slide will not lock open. For those of you familiar with how the 22/45 works it is the same principal. It would have been nice if it had been designed as a release.

Talked directly with a service technician at Ruger and he said if you use it as a slide release eventually your slide will not lock open. For those of you familiar with how the 22/45 works it is the same principal. It would have been nice if it had been designed as a release.

That's interesting info to have. I guess I will have to start releasing while holding the tension on the slide, instead of snap releasing it. I guess it makes sense that it would wear eventually because the spring is very strong on the compact. They actually had to use a double spring design because of the shorter barrel length.

Thanks Max, do you like yours? If it broke tomorrow would you buy another? I am starting to review the Kahr PM9 also.

The other thing I noticed is the hole in the slide where the barrel comes through has already been chipping right on the inside edge on the right and left slides. I still haven't fired it yet. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes, this appears to be a design flaw, as I've noticed it on every single one I've seen. (Including my own.)
It's more noticeable with the black finish, but happens on both.

Well my first purchase was the Ruger SR9c and i love it. I don't have small hands but I find it easy to use the safety while holding the gun in a use situation. Being my first gun in all, guess it doesn't really give my opinion much credibility, but I wouldn't mind getting another or a full size. Since i wasn't able to get an unrestricted class A, im not worried about carrying or the concealment of this gun. The rate of fire and the nice ability group shots at 30ft is nice. I did also purchase a Savage arms 64 FXP, and just waiting till i can save up for something in .223 or .556.

Thanks Max, do you like yours? If it broke tomorrow would you buy another? I am starting to review the Kahr PM9 also.

I do like it but I have only brought it out once. I also have the crimson trace laser on it. I am still relatively new to shooting, and I only have one other pistol to compare this to. I was torn between this and the M&P9c. I chose this because of the price, and the better out of the box trigger in MA.

I am also fairly new to shooting. I have the full size M&P 9 with a trig job, a BG380 and a Colt SA army .45. I will probably add this too. I also have soem rifles to play with. What club do you belong to? I'm at The Independent Sportsmans Club.

I bought one for my wife A blued SR9C. My only complaint is that at first it was impossible to release the slide using the slide latch lever. Im not intersted in hearing you should only use the slingshot method etc etc. I now have about 800 rounds through the gun and the slide latch has loosened up and will release the slide when depressed. I have had no jams or issues with the gun. Its accurate, reliable and very soft shooting, not that a 9mm has much recoil anyways. Good gun, worth the money. YMMV

Four Seasons has them in stock. Me and my friend bought 2 tone SR9c's today. And I know there was atleast one other sold while I was there. Put 50 rounds thru it today. I love it!

I also picked up 14 boxes of Blazer ammo, $9.95 a box!

Last edited:
Thanks everybody. I'll be sure to call before I drive way up there. It sounds like they are flying right out of the cases.

Back
Top Bottom