• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger SR9c

So I finally have some spare cash to buy my first gun. (been sitting on my class A since october of 09)
I really like the style and feel of the Walther line, pps and p99 but theyre a bit out of my price range for now, saw the Ruger SR9c on the FS website for 400$ and am quite ready for an impulse buy, sadly theyre not open until tuesday.

But anyhow, ive so far only seen great reviews of the SR9c and was curious if anyone has one and has had a bad experience? is this a good every day ccw?

IMHO: my buddy has one. i've shot it a few times so take this with a grain of salt but here were my initial observations. the trigger is pretty good, decent tactile reset, fairly short as well. thinner grips than i prefer but not so you are engulfing it. the only thing i truly did not like about it as a potential carry gun is the manual safety. nothing against manual safeties as a big 1911 fan, but the SR9C's safety is somewhat difficult to activate. just make sure you can work the safety would be my only advice. either that or always carry with the safety off and forget about it as it is striker fired. its all about the fit. get your hands on one, see if you can work that safety and make your decision then. I dont know of anywhere that rents this however MFL does i believe have a FS SR9 to rent that may help with your decision. good luck and enjoy. gun shopping can never be a bad experience :)

My father uses the sr9c a an every day CCW and loves it. I have shot it about a dozen times now and have grown fond of it especially for the price. Just as MJM says the trigger is great and the grips are good for a compact gun, but the safety SUCKS!! The safety is hard to snap off from a one handed draw position. For me it requires my left hand thumb to reach up and push it to the off position. Also, I like to carry DAO, just my opinion as I am not one to rely on safety's. If you carry the SR9C you will either carry cocked and locked, or without a round chambered. For my father he is comfortable without a round chambered and is pretty quick at drawing and chambering a round. To each his own I guess. Somebody will chime in here and say that the SR9C is technically a double action gun, but double action or not the trigger is quick and light and I would be very uncomfortable carrying without it locked. Just my opinion. Just as a reference for my opinions worth, I carry a S&W Sigma .40 when I do which is DAO with a 10lb trigger and that's what i'm comfortable with.
Overall it's a great gun for the price and seems to get a positive feedback overall.

I've got the sr9c! It's my everyday carry, nice shooter, low recoil and conceals well. shoots everything you feed can feed it from steel to brass. I carry with the saftey on only because trigger is crisp and short. It is my favorite carry gun and a pleasure to shoot. You can't go wrong in my opinion with the sr9c but look aruond you might find something you like better.

How's the grip compared to Glock/Sig? Ie, how do they feel in hand compared to those? Sounds like the safety is already a minus, based upon location--although, is it a nuisance to set it or release it? [I think of "activate" as meaning "to render it safe" not "to enable to fire".]

Dude, seriously?

However do thousands of Glock, XD, and M&P owners ever manage to survive without external safeties on their pistols?

I think the trigger in my opinion is way diffrent from those others you mentioned! And it's the way I prefer to carry it and the way I like to carry it. And if it had no saftey I would still carry it with no problem. The safty on the sr9c is not that hard to use for me, it's real smooth.

How's the grip compared to Glock/Sig? Ie, how do they feel in hand compared to those? Sounds like the safety is already a minus, based upon location--although, is it a nuisance to set it or release it? [I think of "activate" as meaning "to render it safe" not "to enable to fire".]

Well, search is your friend. I just did a post about this gun last week that went to 4, or 5 pages, and even then was told to search because this gun comes up in topic often. That being said, it is by far the most comfortable and well equipped (feature-wise) carry gun that I have found in this price bracket, so it will be my first carry piece. As for your question about the safety, it is just the ergonomics of where they placed it, that these guys are most likely bothered by, because I have handled, and dry fired one, and found the position of the safety to be awkward. Everything else about it is perfect ergo-wise, but they placed the safety lever back a bit too far to actuate easily with just your right hand. I found that to disable the safety cleanly required using my left hand as I wrapped it for support, otherwise your right hand has to come back off the grip a bit to push it down. Because of that, I plan to practice with it until I am comfortable not using the safety at all. I know Jose jumps on everyone who ever says they carry without one in the pipe, but after feeling how light, smooth, and short the trigger is on this gun, I will not be carrying it that way until I am really comfortable with this gun. Try the trigger on a M&P, then compare it to the SR9C, and you will see what I mean. I use the M&P for example, because they are about the only good gun in that price range for comparison. You would need to drop some money into custom trigger work on the M&P to even get it close to the feel of the Ruger inmo.

I have the SR9 and love it. Going to get the SR9c next, for carry. I have read that the recoil is actually less on SR9c than it's big brother (which has very little) due to having dual springs. It's also the 2010 gun of the year

Well I called northshore firearms and they had one in black in and went down earlier with my dad to keep me from making that impulse buy I'm itching for. Great little gun, might try to make it up to manchester firing line to see if they have one I can test, but it seems like the gun I want, probably be back there by the end of the week to buy it. The safety didnt seem like an issue for me, the only thing I was iffy about was the slide takes a bit of effort of pull it back but im sure after use it will loosen up some. They wanted about 40$ more than FS but ill see if they will meet me halfway on the price.
thanks for the responses

I went through the same comparison shopping about a month ago. I initially thought I'd buy the SR9C, but ended up buying the S&W M&P 9C. I am very happy with the M&P. I've only put about 200 rds through it but I love the way it feels in my hand and I shoot really well with it. I really like the sight picture as well. Others have commented harshly on the M&P trigger pull. I don't find it especially gritty or hard. And the trigger pull is not that much different than the SR9C in my opinion.

The reason I ultimately decided against the SR9C were purely cosmetic. I like the blacked out look of the M&P better than the look of the SR9C. I also was not fond of the pop-up indicator on the top of the slide whenever a round is in the chamber. I also don't like that other people who know the weapon can tell if a round is chambered.

I'm pretty sure I'd have been happy with the SR9C if I had chosen it. I do own other Rugers and am happy with them. But I really love my M&P. And with the recent price reduction from S&W, the M&P is priced about the same.

1) back in November or October the manchester firing line did not have the SR9C they did have the SR9 which I tried just to get a fell for so call 1st before making a trip up there.

2) I own the SR9C and it is my every day carry gun.

I like the gun a lot but I think it needs to have some rounds put through it first to break it in. When I first used it I was getting a lot of stove pipes and when cocking it a round would get stuck every now and then. I will be going to the range again this week but after 2 firing sessions and 2 cleanings the rounds were not jamming when I chambered a round. I will post back after my next range session to see if all the kinks are worked out.

I don't mind the pop-up indicator telling me a round is chambered....The only way someone will know if I have a round chambered is if im at the range and they look or the gun is coming out of my holster and that will only happen if i intend to use it, Hopefully I will never have to.

+1 for four seasons also!

I always hear people say its a personal preference when people comment on what they like and don't like when it comes to firearms, and I agree 100%. unfortunately MFL does not have the SR9C to test out, at least since the last time I went. They do have the SR9. Which is a different feel between the two. Dry fire a couple different models in the store. If you know someone that has one, or one of the models you might be interested in go out with them to the range.

I own the SR9C, its a great purchase for the money. The trigger in my opinion is night and day with the M&P9C. My brother has the M&P9C and we have both fired them side by side with ammo and dry fire and we both feel a difference. He will be spending another $100, give or take, on a trigger job. With that he would have spent about $200 more than me on his M&P.

In regards to the Loaded Chamber Indicator, it doesn't bother me at all. After all when I'm looking down the sights I can't see it. And when its holstered no one will know if its chambered or not. If, and I hope I never have to, I have to draw it I doubt they will know or be in the right mind to look for it.

I would recommend the SR9C to anyone, great price, great feel, great shot. No regrets from me.

Ruger's for me anyway, are not comfortable but they are very serviceable. That coming from a previous P91DC 40 S&W owner. I looked at a SR9 FS a few weeks back and handed it back as soon as it hit my hands. If it's the cost thats holding you back then look at the Taurus line of compacts/concealed carry for your needs. Just my opinion....

Thanks again, I believe this is the gun Ill buy, maybe friday on payday.
As far as holsters go, what would you suggest for comfort and concealability? And what ammo for self defense purposes/what ammo for target shooting?

Also I realize you cannot buy the gun in MA with the 17 round clip, if I was to find one in say NH, would it be illegal to possess in MA with a class A hi capacity no restriction ltc or is it not okay because it was made post ban?

I forget the holster I currently own its an outer waist band (its nice) but I have already ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck Inner waist band holster and I "hear" it is a great feeling some say the best feeling holster around.

As far as ammo I cant really answer that but for protection I have Remington golden saber and for target shooting I use everything at the moment....don't have any preference.

Lastly to your final question if you were to find a 17 round clip in NH and were possessing it in MA you would be in hot shit. Not a good idea.

sorry, no 17 round Magazine allowed.
I use the Elite Survival Systems holster. its cheap, and comfortable. Fits perfect

Ammo, just for cheap target shooting I use CCI Blazer or Remington UMC. I prefur Lellier & Bellot, my favorite 9MM to shoot, but a little more expensive.

Self Defense Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

Last edited:
I have one and love it. I was looking at this or the M&P9c and the trigger on the SR9c was the difference. I am starting to like it better than any of the Glocks I own. I have put 1820 rounds through it to date with no failures whatsoever. I have run Winchester white box, Independence, Federal, Remington UMC and a box of 20 Winchester PDX1 through it. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck and I love it. It is very comfortable in my opinion. When I bought mine in September I had read on a lot of forums that they were having problems with light strikes so I emailed Ruger in regards to this and I was told by the customer service rep who answered me to look at the package that contained the round that was test fired and to only buy that particular firearm if the date on the package was in August or September. Also no you cannot posses the 17 round magazine in Massachusetts . They will not even sell one to you in New Hampshire as a resident of Massachusetts I believe.

now I am really confused about the mag. issue. I was told by my FFL a week ago, that he could only sell the SR9C to me with the 10 rd. mags, but that I could just go over the line into CT, and buy the high cap mag. He told me that it is only illegal to sell them in MA - NOT to own them. He said the only ones you can't own, are the ones marked "law enforcement use only", or something to that effect. I tend to think he knows what he is talking about in this area, as he is a LEO, an FFL, as well as firearms instructor. It does seem like there is a lot of confusion about mags here.

I tend to think he knows what he is talking about in this area, as he is a LEO, an FFL, as well as firearms instructor.

Dude, none of those things are indicative of thorough knowledge of firearm laws.

Even I know that magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds and were made after Sept 1994 are illegal to possess in MA (unless you are LEO) regardless of what they say or don't say on them.

What you were told as OK to do is in fact a felony punishable by 10 years imprisonment.

now I am really confused about the mag. issue. I was told by my FFL a week ago, that he could only sell the SR9C to me with the 10 rd. mags, but that I could just go over the line into CT, and buy the high cap mag. He told me that it is only illegal to sell them in MA - NOT to own them. He said the only ones you can't own, are the ones marked "law enforcement use only", or something to that effect. I tend to think he knows what he is talking about in this area, as he is a LEO, an FFL, as well as firearms instructor. It does seem like there is a lot of confusion about mags here.

Well you are very wrong.

I mentioned the ban vs. pre-ban thing to him. He basically said that since the mags are not dated, it would be very difficult/impossible to date them, and most LEOs would never go through the trouble to do that. Sure, if you commit a crime, then they will look for every possible thing to hit you with, but at that point, the mag capacity is probably the least of your worries. When was the last time you heard (or better yet, knew) of anyone getting arrested for, and charged for just having a high cap mag alone?

Dude, none of those things are indicative of thorough knowledge of firearm laws.

Even I know that magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds and were made after Sept 1994 are illegal to possess in MA (unless you are LEO) regardless of what they say or don't say on them.

What you were told as OK to do is in fact a felony punishable by 10 years imprisonment.

I am well aware of the whole AWB thing, which is why I have 30 rd. pre-ban AR mags. With regard to this discussion, though, please see my previous post.

its a fair point but there are a lot of LEO's in MA on a constant power trip and give a whole new meaning to the term ma**h***, do you really want to run the risk? they can date the mag by dating the gun model, its been around a year or so now? the full size model a few more years? I agree its ridiculous but thats the nature of MA, most MA lifers wouldnt recognize common sense if it bit them in the ass.

Well then, why would you even consider for a second an idiot's comment that you know is a felony?

It is just a matter of the odds being well in your favor of it EVER being a problem in reality. There are many, many things that all of us do daily that may be against the law, but we take calculated risks with. What he was saying was that, while technically we are limited to 10 rd. mags in this state, it is enforced mainly/only with regard to sales - not ownership. It's not likely that you are EVER going to be in a situation where an officer asks you to produce your ccw so that he can inspect how many rounds you may have in the mag. Even if by some stretch that were to happen, then he would have to be pretty well versed in not only the intricacies of MA firearm law, but on when a specific arm was manufactured, when all brands of mags that could interchange with that weapon were manufactured, etc., etc. The simple fact is that most LEOs don't have that knowledge, nor the reason to go through that much investigative work, unless there is a damn good reason (like you committed a felony with the weapon in the first place). That just goes back to what I said above. I am certainly not advising, or advocating that anyone break the law, but this is a situation where a calculated risk could be taken if one chooses to. I'm not saying that I would necessarily carry with the 17rd. mag., but you can bet your ass that I will possess them for my use/home defense because I can. For actual carry purposes, it would make more sense because of weight/length, to just run with the 10rd., plus a spare mag separately.

Last edited:
I think the trigger in my opinion is way diffrent from those others you mentioned!

Uhh, it's another striker fired auto with a modestly long take-up, is it not?

The only striker fired auto trigger like that that I've used that was radically different was the one on the Steyr M series.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom