• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger SR9c

I have the sr9 my buddy just bought the sr9c. I also have a M&P9 for comparison. My first impression is you can't beat the gun for the money. It has several features that are most often associated with higher priced guns. 400 bucks for a brand new compact semi-automatic pistol with a warranty?? Not bad in my book. The trigger is much better out of the box than the M&P. I had to install the Apex comp kit in my M&P to get the M&P trigger to best the sr9c. So right there if price is an issue the sr9c is a better choice. I do like my M&P better than my sr9 now but that's after a 100 bucks in mods to the M&P. I find the trigger on the sr9c to be slightly better than my sr9. That might just be manufacturing tolerances??? I find the positive comments others have made to be valid. Good gun for the money!!

Does anyone else find if you shoot or stand to the right of the guy with the sr9c you can feel the blast like shooting next to a revolver?? A day at the range yesterday and shooting next to a bunch of different 9mm's I always knew when the sr9c was next to me? Not a knock to the gun, just something I noticed??

I have the sr9 my buddy just bought the sr9c. I also have a M&P9 for comparison. My first impression is you can't beat the gun for the money. It has several features that are most often associated with higher priced guns. 400 bucks for a brand new compact semi-automatic pistol with a warranty?? Not bad in my book. The trigger is much better out of the box than the M&P. I had to install the Apex comp kit in my M&P to get the M&P trigger to best the sr9c. So right there if price is an issue the sr9c is a better choice. I do like my M&P better than my sr9 now but that's after a 100 bucks in mods to the M&P. I find the trigger on the sr9c to be slightly better than my sr9. That might just be manufacturing tolerances??? I find the positive comments others have made to be valid. Good gun for the money!!

Does anyone else find if you shoot or stand to the right of the guy with the sr9c you can feel the blast like shooting next to a revolver?? A day at the range yesterday and shooting next to a bunch of different 9mm's I always knew when the sr9c was next to me? Not a knock to the gun, just something I noticed??

I have read that they completely redesigned the trigger for the compact model, which is why you notice a difference. I have read that there was a few issues with the early run of the full size model, so they improved that, but when the compact came into the fold, the trigger had to be redesigned for that model, probably do to space constraints over the previous design. What you pointed out is exactly what my FFL was telling me when I was trying to compare it to the M&P. He said that the M&P is a fine gun once you drop another $100, or more in custom trigger work, but at that point, you have at least 1/3 more money invested just to get to the "out of the box" performance of the little Ruger. As you stated, it is a very hard to beat package for the money, which is why I will be buying 1, or maybe 2 (second for the wife) very soon.

There are many, many things that all of us do daily that may be against the law, but we take calculated risks with.

The only law I knowingly break is speeding. I break that by 5 to 10 mph. And to the best of my knowledge speeding by 10 mph wouldn't give me jail time. At the most a ticket, at the very least "slow the #^@% down".

Uhh, it's another striker fired auto with a modestly long take-up, is it not?

The only striker fired auto trigger like that that I've used that was radically different was the one on the Steyr M series.

-Mike

are you commenting on the design or trigger pull?

you can bet your ass that I will possess them for my use/home defense because I can.

Just as long as you understand that, knowing your state, your HD shooting will be investigated to the hilt. And that during that investigation some detective IS going to come across your magazines unless you quickly and completely dispose of them in a way that they can't possibly be connected to you. And that once those mags are found, a smart detective will quickly figure out that they are illegal and that if you weren't facing charges before, you will now.

Don't be under any illusion that a shooting will not be scrutinized to the point that your magazines will be overlooked.

Just as long as you understand that, knowing your state, your HD shooting will be investigated to the hilt. And that during that investigation some detective IS going to come across your magazines unless you quickly and completely dispose of them in a way that they can't possibly be connected to you. And that once those mags are found, a smart detective will quickly figure out that they are illegal and that if you weren't facing charges before, you will now.

Don't be under any illusion that a shooting will not be scrutinized to the point that your magazines will be overlooked.

Ok Jose, I do have to admit that you do have an great point there.[wink] I think that if I am ever forced to have to actually use a firearm to save myself, or my family, though, I will just feel thankful if I can outgun my adversary, so if that means potentially facing some charges, then I guess that goes along with the "calculated risk" that I mentioned. In all fairness, though, I doubt that the compact would be my fist choice for a defensive weapon at home anyway. More like a tertiary backup after the shotty, and AR run out, or otherwise fail.[smile]

are you commenting on the design or trigger pull?

Well, more about the actual pull than anything else. Most striker fired autos don't have a very short pull, at least on the first shot. Many have a short reset. The Steyr was the only one I've seen that has a REALLY short first pull.

-Mike

I don't know, maybe we are talking about two different things but the distance on the trigger itself, not the internals of the firearm do seem to have different distances. I ultimatly think its the pressure that it takes to pull back on it. side by side it takes far less pressure and its a crisper pull.

The M&P trigger is very gummy. (because of how the trigger safety is designed) There's about a quarter of an inch of a soft gummy feel before you have any sense of pressure on the trigger. while with the SR9c theres barely any give before there is pressure on the trigger.

with the SR9c its about a quarter of an inch once you have pressure on the trigger before the striker falls. With the M&P its just past a quater of an inch before the striker falls.

yes just spent the last 10 minutes trying to measure distance. And while gummy is a relatively personal feel, it is a good description of how it feels.

Well, more about the actual pull than anything else. Most striker fired autos don't have a very short pull, at least on the first shot. Many have a short reset. The Steyr was the only one I've seen that has a REALLY short first pull.

-Mike

one other observation I made while compareing both models is the gap between the slide and the frame. The gap on both are so very close, but the gap on M&P is more noticeable. I can actually see A moving part of the trigger mechanics. Now this may not be anything of consequence, just something I wanted to point out. Does anyone have any insight into the spacing difference?

Last edited:
As promised went to the range today and fired around 75 rounds without any problems using about four different types on ammunition.

My only problem is that after the gun had about 60 rounds put through it and it was hot, when I tried chambering a round when putting a new magazine in, the round would get stuck and the gun would jam..........

Other than that no actual firing problems, it ran great, shot straight and I love the gun. (no stovepipes after two cleanings and 200 rounds through it)

Any ideas on why I was having difficulties chambering a round? Seemed it might have been one magazine in particular but I cant be sure, and does the gun being hot play a role in that?

Newbie trying to learn, Thanks in advance!

My only problem is that after the gun had about 60 rounds put through it and it was hot, when I tried chambering a round when putting a new magazine in, the round would get stuck and the gun would jam..........
That's NOT an inconsequential problem......

I don't know, maybe we are talking about two different things but the distance on the trigger itself, not the internals of the firearm do seem to have different distances. I ultimatly think its the pressure that it takes to pull back on it. side by side it takes far less pressure and its a crisper pull.

The M&P trigger is very gummy. (because of how the trigger safety is designed) There's about a quarter of an inch of a soft gummy feel before you have any sense of pressure on the trigger. while with the SR9c theres barely any give before there is pressure on the trigger.

with the SR9c its about a quarter of an inch once you have pressure on the trigger before the striker falls. With the M&P its just past a quater of an inch before the striker falls.

I meant total travel, overall, from when you start pulling until the point the striker releases.

one other observation I made while compareing both models is the gap between the slide and the frame. The gap on both are so very close, but the gap on M&P is more noticeable. I can actually see A moving part of the trigger mechanics. Now this may not be anything of consequence, just something I wanted to point out. Does anyone have any insight into the spacing difference?

Just a design thing I guess. Coincidentally if you put one of those "trigger servicing plates" on the back of a glock slide, you can watch parts of the glock trigger system work, too.

-Mike

A) Quit comparing the SR9 to the ma**h*** M&P. The Ruger's trigger would also be full of suck had Ruger not included that retarded manual safety to appease the ma**h*** gods.

B) If you think the SR9 needs a manual safety because of how easy it "lets go", try a Glock that has had a duty worthy trigger job. You'll crap your pants and Glocks don't come with manual safeties.

Width of the SR9c?

Hi all,

Just a quick question to all the SR9c owners out there: how wide is the grip? I know it states 1.27" on the website, but could someone 'approximate' it to another gun's grip? Say, wider than a Glock 26, narrower than a Sig 239, like that?

I'm looking for a good compact carry gun but have been cursed with small hands; the width of a 1911 is perfect (cheapo plastic grips, no Hogue or other add-ons) and amazingly the geometry of the S/W Sigma was perfect.

(Sorry to semi-hijack the thread; back to the pant-crapping Glock references!)

-Pelikan

As promised went to the range today and fired around 75 rounds without any problems using about four different types on ammunition.

Other than that no actual firing problems, it ran great, shot straight and I love the gun. (no stovepipes after two cleanings and 200 rounds through it)

Any ideas on why I was having difficulties chambering a round? Seemed it might have been one magazine in particular but I cant be sure, and does the gun being hot play a role in that?

Newbie trying to learn, Thanks in advance!

How was it getting "stuck"? Just a whack to the back of the slide to get it into the battery, or some sort of real jam where you had to drop the magazine? It sounds like it wasn't going into battery after releasing the slide from your description. It could be just dirty--did you give it a full cleaning before shooting? Did you give it a full cleaning after shooting?

Yea I gave it a full cleaning before the range and I will be cleaning it before I go to the range again. Im not highly experienced with firearms but I had to remove the magazine every time and get the stuck round out of the chamber....maybe once or twice after a little whack it would be ok but this problem was happening a good amount towards the end of my time at the range.

SR9C Jamming

Hi, new to the forum. I purchased my first handgun in November. It's also an SR9C. I love the gun, it's awesome for CCW and the trigger is great, but I also have been having the same issues as stated above with the initial bullet jamming when releasing the slide for the first time. This happened probably 5 times in one sitting at the range. It didn't matter how I was cocking the gun (pulling the slide back from the action being closed, releasing it from the action being open or from the action being open pulling it all the way back)

I've never had this problem with any of the other guns I've shot. The only good news is that I went to the range 2 nights ago and shot about 150 rounds and it did not happen once. I've got maybe 400 rounds total through it, so it may be "working itself out" as the gun gets some use. I'm heading to the range again tonight and will probably go through another 100 or so.

A) Quit comparing the SR9 to the ma**h*** M&P. The Ruger's trigger would also be full of suck had Ruger not included that retarded manual safety to appease the ma**h*** gods.

Jose, I agree it sucks that we have to compare the SR9c to the ma**h*** M&P9c, but unfortunately its what we have. So it makes sense that we compare them. Its what we have access too here in the great state of stupidity. What good does it due to compare an out of state M&P for those of us that live in Mass?

B) If you think the SR9 needs a manual safety because of how easy it "lets go", try a Glock that has had a duty worthy trigger job. You'll crap your pants and Glocks don't come with manual safeties.

I'm sure Glock's are great. I've fired a couple and felt real nice. But this is mass again. I'm not a big fan of buying pre-owned equipment that are over 12 years old, unless I'm collecting, and still cost more than what I spent on my Ruger. I'm sure I'll pick one up some day, when I can buy it new. '

I'm a big fan of the SR9C, I like the looks, feel, and how it shoots. I know there are a lot better firearms out there, but for the cost IMHO I couldn't beat the SR9C.

I love my SR9c, and after practicing a lot with the safety, i naturally take the safety off when unholstering and moving into firing position in one fluid motion. Just like anything else, know how to use your equipment like second nature and a safety will never be an issue. I also agree with Hornaday Critical Defense for SD ammo. But all that said, most days a pocket revolver is my buddy.

I was just going to chime in with a "why even take a chance with getting caught with a 17 round mag? If you can't get it done with 11 rounds, I think you should have had your shotgun in the first place!" then I read the rest of your post! Really, though, with today's high performance ammo, if for some reason you CAN'T get to your shotgun or AR/K, 11 rounds SHOULD stop the bad guy, as long as you do your part! Now, if there are more than one, you may need another mag, but you DEFINATELY needed the scatter gun!

Be safe and Happy New Year to everyone,

Dave

Ok Jose, I do have to admit that you do have an great point there.[wink] I think that if I am ever forced to have to actually use a firearm to save myself, or my family, though, I will just feel thankful if I can outgun my adversary, so if that means potentially facing some charges, then I guess that goes along with the "calculated risk" that I mentioned. In all fairness, though, I doubt that the compact would be my fist choice for a defensive weapon at home anyway. More like a tertiary backup after the shotty, and AR run out, or otherwise fail.[smile]

I was just going to chime in with a "why even take a chance with getting caught with a 17 round mag? If you can't get it done with 11 rounds, I think you should have had your shotgun in the first place!" then I read the rest of your post! Really, though, with today's high performance ammo, if for some reason you CAN'T get to your shotgun or AR/K, 11 rounds SHOULD stop the bad guy, as long as you do your part!

Let's not make any kind of apologies for dumb laws. Trying to gloss over it by saying "you only need 11 rounds anyways" is using the same crap logic the antis used to justify the dumb capacity limits in the first place.

-Mike

Did you post a range report?

I havnt yet, ill do that now [wink]
Shoots like a dream. So far I love it, not a single issue comes to mind, not ftf's or jams and ive put about 10 different brands of 9mm through it (think ive got 500 rounds through it so far). Easy and fun to shoot, im fairly accurate with it, atleast have decent groupings. You do need to use the magloader it comes with, as loading it without would be pretty hard if not impossible. Got a don hume holster for it and the gun conceals well, im thinking of ordering a supertuck too. Well worth the money from my perspective.

patfan .....what brand or brands of ammo were you having problems with? i was having that problem with only the lawman line of ammo.

Wasn't just one brand from what I remember. Was a couple: Remington, Blazer, American Eagle, and Winchester. After I gave the gun a full cleaning it worked great! Ill let you know next time I get to the range how its shooting, I'm dying to go its just a matter of time.

Back
Top Bottom