• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Sr1911

I have the CMD. Great gun for the price, I have no issues with it at all. Solid and reliable well made with good features for a starter 1911. I probably will end up getting a full size....if I don't, I'm going to get a Dan Wesson. Which is almost double the price.

I carry my CMD OWB with no issues.

Never let MA laws get you down....there are plenty of ways to get what you want and stay within the law .

Last edited:
well for me the ruger is a couple hundred more than I originally wanted to spend as I first looked at a rock island for $500. I do hear what your saying as I could tell the difference between the ruger and RI, I did hold a S&W 1911...it gets into the price point I don't want to be in.

Everybody has their budget.

Remington does have a 100 dollar rebate on their base model stainless and blue 1911's right now until 4/30. Essentially you could get one for around $450 after rebate in blue. It is a series 80 though, less desirable if your doing trigger work. Lowest price I found was Grabagun...but there may be lower prices out there.

I really like the Ruger SR1911 in Full Size and Commander Lengths.

It's accurate, well made and is not ammo finicky.

I know (2) very reputable gunsmiths that rate the Ruger SR1911, the best 1911 for under $1000 MFG list price.

So I am getting a lot of mixed advice about getting a 1911 as my first handgun. some point out its size and ability to carry, at this moment I don't plan to carry it, if I do maybe I will get something more suitable, for now this is a range gun. When I hold the 1911 it just feels right, I hold a 9mm polymer gun, well it feels like im hold a little plastic gun.
Then there is the other point about ammo being more in a 45 vs 9, is it really that much more, ive only seen a few dollars difference.

So I ask if you were looking for a first handgun for recreation use would you go with the 1911 and not look back or choose a 9mm?

My local dealer has the sr1911 in full and commander, he also had the H&K VP9 which is in the same price range. Yes, my budget is dictating what I buy, would like to stay under $700

So I am getting a lot of mixed advice about getting a 1911 as my first handgun. some point out its size and ability to carry, at this moment I don't plan to carry it, if I do maybe I will get something more suitable, for now this is a range gun. When I hold the 1911 it just feels right, I hold a 9mm polymer gun, well it feels like im hold a little plastic gun.
Then there is the other point about ammo being more in a 45 vs 9, is it really that much more, ive only seen a few dollars difference.

So I ask if you were looking for a first handgun for recreation use would you go with the 1911 and not look back or choose a 9mm?

My local dealer has the sr1911 in full and commander, he also had the H&K VP9 which is in the same price range. Yes, my budget is dictating what I buy, would like to stay under $700
First handgun? Of those, I'd opt for the VP9, to develop fundamental shooting skills.

this is sort the same thing he said, of course im certain he is hoping I will return in a year and buy a 1911...which would most likely be the case I have wanted one since the day I saw it.

I guess I will try to get past the plastic gun part and start considering a 9mm.

Last edited:
personally I would not go with a 1911 for first handgun, for many reasons:
1. more complex single action, which requires use of a thumb safety and SA
2. harder to dissasemble and clean
3. more prone to malfunctions and often sensitive to various magazines
4. less useful as a defensive pistol (some would argue this but personally I avoid anything with a thumb safety for defensive or carry)
5. 45 acp ammo more expensive, although honestly i much prefer shooting 45acp over 9mm

I would lean towards a striker gun for first pistol. VP9 is great option, as are G17, G19, P320, M&P9. Even the S&W SD9VE is a solid choice.

thanks guys im really reconsidering looking into a plastic 9mm gun, if I do go this route im sure my future will hold a 1911. I have a couple buddies that have the M&P, i will look into those as well as the HK.

Ill jut put the 1911 on my Christmas list.

thanks guys im really reconsidering looking into a plastic 9mm gun, if I do go this route im sure my future will hold a 1911. I have a couple buddies that have the M&P, i will look into those as well as the HK.

Ill jut put the 1911 on my Christmas list.

I went a different route for other reasons but I would definitely recommend going mid size striker 9mm for your first gun. Something like a glock 19 is a jack of all trades. Accurate, big enough to get a full grip/develop fundamentals, small enough to conceal, excellent home defense weapon, easy to clean....it does everything good enough to take care of all your needs as a first primary pistol. Plus its a sub $600 gun.

1911s are awesome but I would leave it for later on. A box of .45 may only be a couple dollars more but talk in thousands of rounds and the difference is significant. A $5 difference per 50 rounds now becomes $100 per a thousand and it doesn't take long to get through that if you practice consistently, which you should.

Go the route of a decent mid size 9mm plus a sh*t ton of ammo and a few extra mags, you won't regret it.

thanks for all the input, I have put the 1911 on the back burner for now, im certain it will be in my possession one of these days. If I wait I might go wit something fancier then like the sig 1911 or S&W, who knows.

For now I have narrowed my choice down to the H&K vp9 and S&W m&P 9mm full size. Every sig I like on their websites lists as not being ma compliant, but my Local dealer is going to have a shipment of sigs tomorrow I was told and will check out what he gets. local guy even offered to have me meet him at the range so I could try the H&K, he is the first dealer near me to even offer.

i own two,
a Commander stainless, and a Full size nightwatchman.
never problem with either, although since i have owned the commander longer i have shot it a lot more.

Being this is my first hand gun I have held off on getting a 1911, but did buy a H&K vp9. Im sure they will see me back the future for a 1911, but for now I just need some range time.

I have owned an SR1911 for 3yrs, I have put well over 500rnds down the pipe, it eats everything I put into it. The only issue I had was the front sight broke off during shooting this happened twice. I sent the slide to ruger they replaced sight both times it never happened again. I just recently polished feed ramp, tuned extractor etc, I also installed a lighter recoil spring. This 1911 is Awesome I highly recommend you buy one.

I have an SR1911. I have the night watchman talo version and love it. It sits in the safe for the most part though since I bought it new and wanted to keep it in pristine shape. I shoot my colt 1911A1 99% of the time but have shot a few Rugers and think they are awesome for the price.

Nice gun Toy. I was thinking of a Ruger Cd myself, for my next 1911. But I am still worried about the front sight issue. Can anyone confirm that it is fixed? Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom