Ruger LCR now Mass Ok

stinx

NES Member
Dont know if this is old news or not. I was in Four Season tonight and they had Ruger LCR revolvers for sale $439. Carl said they just became saleable today

Now the 442/642 will see some competition around here.

Does anyone know if they needed to make the trigger heavier than usual to meet the 10lb requirement, or is it a heavy stock trigger on the LCR?

THe gun has a 10lb trigger, but it feels much better thena S&W J Frame. To me it felt like about 6-8 LBs.

You guys just got an awesome gun added to your list. They are great little carry pieces. Speer Gold Dot +p for Short Barrel's work great in them. They expanded very well out of the short barrel when I tested them in this gun.

Dont know if this is old news or not. I was in Four Season tonight and they had Ruger LCR revolvers for sale $439. Carl said they just became saleable today

Cool! Strange looking gun but cool concept. I wish it weren't $439 though

I'm not a fan of the LCR at all. I bought one with CTG about 2 months ago and I just can't get a feel for it. I'm now considering a Springfield EMP for carry

Does anyone actually know what the qualification process is for a manufacturer to get their gun on the roster?

I believe they have to submit 5 of whatever gun they want okayed...which get subjected to a series of tests to make sure they won't kill thousands of innocent civilians by misfiring when you pull the trigger. It also has to have safety features that prevent little kids from using them (ie external safety + SA trigger on 1911 style guns, 10# or more DA triggers on some others), and it if it is too scary it gets shot down.

I'm sure someone else knows the process better...

FWIW, I've had an LCR for 3 months now and love it. The only maddening thing about it is it rattles when you shake it. I mean it sounds like a damn baby rattle! I was convinced there was a loose screw inside banging around. I called Ruger and they said it was normal for the LCR and it was the transfer bar that "rattles". I took it back to the shop where I bought it and they confirmed that it wasn't my gun, and that yes, all of them do this, some more noticable than others, but it's not considered something that needs to be fixed or addressed, it's inherent in the design.

I then noticed that if you DON'T purposefully shake it, it is fine. i.e. in normal operation it doesn't happen. But it's hard NOT to shake it once you know it does that, sort of an OCD thing. [wink]

In terms of shooting, I love it. Very fun. Plus it's so light it's scary. With +p loads it really jumps.

I believe they have to submit 5 of whatever gun they want okayed...which get subjected to a series of tests to make sure they won't kill thousands of innocent civilians by misfiring when you pull the trigger. It also has to have safety features that prevent little kids from using them (ie external safety + SA trigger on 1911 style guns, 10# or more DA triggers on some others), and it if it is too scary it gets shot down.

I'm sure someone else knows the process better...

It's worse than that. The EOPS part of the process is expensive but easy. It's the AG that's the real problem- and he/she does not formally "approve" of anything. The only way you can find out if a gun passes AG regs is to start selling it and see if they whine about it. Worse yet, the whining is often not immediate. (in the case of the glock LCI debacle, the whining took 3 months. ) Further, the EOPS regs are not subjective. Theres a list of crap the gun must meet- and if it passes, it's fine. Most guns pass EOPS no problem. The AG's
consumer safety crap, on the other hand, involves SUBJECTIVE interpretation on the part of the AG. Bad juju. Read the compliance faq here, if you're still interested in the mechanicals of this stuff...

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37553

-Mike

Last edited:
Seeing as how the LCP is not on the EOPS roster, one must assume that it was either not submitted for testing or didn't pass the testing. Correct?

Seeing as how the LCP is not on the EOPS roster, one must assume that it was either not submitted for testing or didn't pass the testing. Correct?

Probably not submitted. My bet is Ruger does not want to deal with the AG's bulls**t on the LCP. (To some degree, it's pointless to put a gun on the roster in MA unless you're going for
full blown commercial sales; although LCPs could be sold to individual LEOs even if it passed EOPS but not the AG. )

-Mike

Just picked one up at FS, only had a few left. I was like the 3rd guy in line getting one this afternoon. No CT grips avail yet though. It's ridiculously light and has a nice grip and trigger pull. The revolves does "rattle" when you shake it hard (trigger bar apparently?), but not when handled normally. Can't wait to take it out at the range later.

Just picked one up at FS, only had a few left. I was like the 3rd guy in line getting one this afternoon. No CT grips avail yet though. It's ridiculously light and has a nice grip and trigger pull.

I was in there about noontime today. Surprised that the place was NOT crowded on a Saturday. Carl showed me the LCP, he said these are flying off the shelf and had already sold 3 today. It felt like a toy. I handled it side-by-side with an Airweight J Frame .38. The LCP was a few ounces lighter. The cylinder looked funky the way it's cut out around the forward area of the chambers. I didn't try the trigger or cycle the action but I can see the attraction for such a lightweight carry piece. Just don't leave it sitting on the wood stove [wink]

Is there a chance the AG could stop sales of this gun like the 3rd gen glocks?
Wonder if i should get one before its to late?

I doubt it. It's a revolver. Revolvers are not as perceived as "evil" as semis by the AG's office. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom