Ruger LCR now Mass Ok

I emailed ruger a week ago about the LCP, this was the reply:

Comment / question:

I was wondering if the LCP is in process of MA compliance testing? I am
interested in the LCP but have not seen it on the MA approved list.
Thanks,
Fil Santos
Sterling MA

Response:
Massachusetts has recognized the witness hole as a viable loaded chamber
indicator. However, there are other requirements pursuant to the Massachusetts
Attorney General’s regulations that the LCP may not satisfy. We may be able to
modify the existing design to ensure compliance with the Massachusetts
regulations and may in fact do so in the future. However, since we have
introduced the model, the demand has been vigorous, our focus for the
foreseeable future is on production of this model and not a Massachusetts
variant.

I'm not sure if this has been answered, did the original LCR become mass compliant.... or did they make a new mass compliant model that is being sold out here.

I emailed ruger a week ago about the LCP, this was the reply:

Comment / question:

I was wondering if the LCP is in process of MA compliance testing? I am
interested in the LCP but have not seen it on the MA approved list.
Thanks,
Fil Santos
Sterling MA

Response:
Massachusetts has recognized the witness hole as a viable loaded chamber
indicator. However, there are other requirements pursuant to the Massachusetts
Attorney General’s regulations that the LCP may not satisfy. We may be able to
modify the existing design to ensure compliance with the Massachusetts
regulations and may in fact do so in the future. However, since we have
introduced the model, the demand has been vigorous, our focus for the
foreseeable future is on production of this model and not a Massachusetts
variant.

that is why this state sucks. Pointless bullsh1t that harasses the legit gun owner.

I'm not sure if this has been answered, did the original LCR become mass compliant.... or did they make a new mass compliant model that is being sold out here.

I'm pretty sure it's the same gun as everyone else gets. Model # on the one I bought in MA is 05401, which is the same as I see in the free state gunbroker
ads.

-Mike

I'm pretty sure it's the same gun as everyone else gets. Model # on the one I bought in MA is 05401, which is the same as I see in the free state gunbroker
ads.

-Mike

Good to know. Now I can browse gunbroker.

How do you like it so far?

Good to know. Now I can browse gunbroker.

How do you like it so far?

It's pretty decent, I've run about 65 rounds through it so far. Probably going to post a review in "firearms" soon about it.

-Mike

Ruger is selling every one they can produce. No need for them to address our wanting them in MA. I keep looking...

Ruger is selling every one they can produce. No need for them to address our wanting them in MA. I keep looking...

FWIW the Ruger LCR which is "approved for MA sale" (I use this term loosely, because the AG doesn't really approve anything ) is exactly the same as the ones sold in the free world. There is no MA specific SKU/version for that gun. So you can grab one off gunbroker and transfer it in, if your dealer doesn't have it.

-Mike

FWIW the Ruger LCR which is "approved for MA sale" (I use this term loosely, because the AG doesn't really approve anything ) is exactly the same as the ones sold in the free world. There is no MA specific SKU/version for that gun. So you can grab one off gunbroker and transfer it in, if your dealer doesn't have it.

-Mike

Thanks, I will surely check out the LCR. May have to purchase one of them too.

I just picked mine up today, $425.00. Going out tonight to shoot it, but so far I love the feel of it and the trigger is fantastic. Nice and light.

Last edited:
As others have stated, the AG regs are the big sticking point for most manufacturers. I think they'd play the game re the EOPS if they didn't fear the arbitrary nature of the AG regs.

Of course some guns won't ever pass the AG regs in their current form because they lack specific required features. For example, if a current gun doesn't have a 'loaded chamber indicator' it will NEVER pass the AG regs without a re-design (why should they) or a new MA-specific model.

Obviously revolvers (like the LCR) get a leg up in this regard because the 'loaded chamber indicator' is inherent to the open cylinder design. Semi-autos are more of a problem.

They carry the 'fear' of evil black weapons, the 'risk' of rapid semi-auto fire, and the concern that they can be reloaded 'too rapidly' (who other than a mass murderer would have such a need? - sarcasm).

I think that attitudes of many toward our MA restrictions come from the fact that most MA residents believe/accept that guns are just for hunting or sport (target). They reject the notion that anyone would need a gun for self defense and place all of their personal faith in the response of the cops (ridiculous). However, once they discount the need for self defense, they have no problem accepting limiitations on evil 'high cap mags', etc.

It makes change that requires support of the public here in MA, VERY difficult. It doesn't help that many gun owners and gun rights sympathizers have left the state over the decades because of deliberately onerous laws designed to help them decide to 'just move'....leaving the state to loyal Dems to govern.

Last edited:
Checked out the Ruger LCR today at FS. The trigger feels nicer than Smith's comparable 642. The grip feels better in my hand, but I have really enjoyed my other Smith's and am having trouble making a purchase decision on these little conceal revolvers. Normally I am a very decisive person, but I have been considering a small revolver for so long I am pulling my hair out. Has anyone had enough experience with both of these to give a comparison opinion? Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom