Ruger introduces their take on the FN Five-Seven

Those guns used to be $800. FN probably jacked the price because they figured out that if someone can afford the ammo, the price of the gun doesn't really matter much.

-Mike
when i first heard about them...as always, late to the party, they were north of $2k. ammo was a mortgage payment.

I remember looking at the 5n7 when I first got here. Neat gun, but it's an expensive gun and an expensive round, and I couldn't see any "purpose" for the gun in my hands. It would end up being like my .44 mag BlackHawk - a safe toy that I'd take out once in a while. So I spent my money on AR parts that day.

If you've got the disposable income - and you think you'll shoot it - then buy it.

As for Ruger coming up with one - that seems like a foolish decision. I don't think they're going to sell very many. It's a niche market to say the least. They're doing well with the PCCs; now available in 40S&W - and with different stocks.

I remember looking at the 5n7 when I first got here. Neat gun, but it's an expensive gun and an expensive round, and I couldn't see any "purpose" for the gun in my hands. It would end up being like my .44 mag BlackHawk - a safe toy that I'd take out once in a while. So I spent my money on AR parts that day.

If you've got the disposable income - and you think you'll shoot it - then buy it.

As for Ruger coming up with one - that seems like a foolish decision. I don't think they're going to sell very many. It's a niche market to say the least. They're doing well with the PCCs; now available in 40S&W - and with different stocks.
Maybe this is an excuse to consider a new barrel for the PCC in 5.7?

Interesting, as many (all?) 22lr suppressors will also work with 5.7 ammo...if there's a threaded barrel available, might be fun (but not very quiet still, most likely). Still not that interested probably.

I shoot 5.7x28 both from my FN Five-Seven and my P90 with a DAA Mask and it’s way quieter than you’d expect. It’s a lot of fun to shoot suppressed and if you want to drop the coin it’s out there in sub-sonic.

Still waiting on the 45acp pcc from Ruger......that'll use 1911 mags. Lol

I shoot 5.7x28 both from my FN Five-Seven and my P90 with a DAA Mask and it’s way quieter than you’d expect. It’s a lot of fun to shoot suppressed and if you want to drop the coin it’s out there in sub-sonic.
I have a Mask as well, interesting...
The Ruger would probably be a better choice given the likely price differential.

Did you have to SBR the P90? I thought they were sold with a pinned muzzle device? I fired a full-auto P90 once and was pretty impressed (as a lefty it was friendly).

Watch the classifieds fill up with FNs before their resale tanks.

Why
I have a Mask as well, interesting...
The Ruger would probably be a better choice given the likely price differential.

Did you have to SBR the P90? I thought they were sold with a pinned muzzle device? I fired a full-auto P90 once and was pretty impressed (as a lefty it was friendly).

I should have said PS90, I don’t have a postie P90 although I want one. I just bought a replacement barrel for my PS90 from CMMG. It’s drop in and you pull the old one out. I have seen people cut the old barrels down and recrown but for the money I would just buy from CMMG. They are a lot of fun to shoot, 50 rounds dumps are fun.

The American series is already a dog that no one wants and they could be making money introducing a SR 2.0 series to compete with S&W's M&P line, but instead they do this....

Wait, how different is the "American" from the "SR"? Do they take the same magazines? I'm still stuck on P89 style magazines.

The American is a completely new design based on the US Army's modular handgun competition. Ruger backed out at the last minute for whatever reason. They tried marketing it to LEOs and armored car/security guards who ultimately wanted a cheaper scaled up LCP, which is how the Security 9 came into being.

The SR series was a lightweight double stack design with a single stack thin profile Look at a SR9/40 next to a 1911 or a Glock and you'll see how comparable they are.
Size.jpg

Designed in 2007, they were a bit dated and needed a revamp to keep up with a decades' worth of innovations from competitors, but Ruger decided to focus on making the cheaper LCP based derivatives like the Security 9 which now includes this 5.7mm.

Well looks like Speer had a heads up from Ruger.

Last edited:
It had to be said,

MAIN POINT OF SELLING BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS EXTREME PRICE OF WEAPON AND CARTRIDGE.

BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON OF MAN WHO WEARS EXPENSIVE ITALIAN FASCIST SUIT OF HAND SEWING, DRIVE HUGE NAZI MERCEDES OF A.M.G. SHOP, SAIL ON MASSIVE YACHT TO GREEK ISLANDS. I THINK YOU GET PICTURE. BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON THAT SAYS IS NO SUCH THING AS CONCERN OF MONEY.

FOR MAN WITHOUT EXPENSIVE SUIT, BIG BLACK MERCEDES, AND MASSIVE YACHT, BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS FOR PRETENDING TO BE RICH LIKE BLACK GANGSTER OF AMERICAN CITY WITH GOLD CHAINS OF LOW QUALITY AND JEWLS OF COLORED GLASS. WHEN YOU EXPLAIN USE OF BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS ONLY FOR SHOOT MAN WITH BULLET VEST WITH CARTRIDGE ILLEGAL TO CIVILIAN. THIS MAN HAS NUCLEAR RAGE WHOS IDENTITY OF THIS MAN IS SPENT IN PRETEND PSTOL SHOWS HE IS RICH. IS VERY AMUSE.

FOR REST OF WORLD THERE IS 9 MILIMETERS OF LUGER WHICH IS SAME WOUND FOR LESS COST.

Those guns used to be $800. FN probably jacked the price because they figured out that if someone can afford the ammo, the price of the gun doesn't really matter much.

-Mike
The cost of ammo is what makes or breaks the family shooting budget. Is that 5.7 round really worth the price difference versus the .22 WMR?

I think it's a great idea. Everyone asks "Why not in 9mm/45acp?". Because there are already tons of choices in those calibers out there. Older people with arthritis will probably like this. Less recoil, but centerfire so more likely to be reliable than .22mag. Smaller caliber, yes, but 20 rounds (where legal). Shot an FN57. Liked it (as did my wife, with severe arthritis) but hated the fact that for the price it was the cheapest feeling plastic (at least their other models feel like more). Don't be a hater. If you don't like the flavor, look at the menu and choose something else.

Lots of haters. I think this pistol will sell well. Even though i do think this puts a dent in fn pistol sales i wouldn't be surprised if their ps90 sales grow interest from newbies who buy the ruger pistol. Hope it becomes ma compliant.

I actually see this as strictly a marketing / branding call.

Ruger isn’t taken seriously with any of their polymer pistol. This is a way to buy themselves into people’s safes by undercutting a “cool” pistol design that most people don’t want to pay for from FN. No, they won’t sell a ton of them, but they don’t need to - they need people to be talking about, in forums and on YouTube generating engaging content about a Ruger pistol.

The very fact that I’m talking about Ruger (havent touched a Ruger pistol since my POS SR9, and swore the brand off) says the marketing effort is working

I want one already

I Really hope the sell a billion of these things as it would certainly let make 5.7 easier to stock / incentive to mfg

The cost of ammo is what makes or breaks the family shooting budget. Is that 5.7 round really worth the price difference versus the .22 WMR?

Nobody who considers even touching 5.7 x 28 has the word "Budget" in their vocabulary. That's what makes this gun weird, although Ruger probably figured out there are a lot of skinflints that love half assing stuff. [laugh] I know a bunch of these people so I guess in that retarded way, it sort of makes sense.

Contrary to popular belief, most skinflints are relatively well off.

-Mike

It appears NES is being overrun with teenage girls. As technology-forward as I am, I'm sorta proud I don't have Instagram. LOL. Noooooo picky!

TikTok is for teenage girls

Instagram is the norm for the 25-40 crowd

Facebook is for the grandparents

Relax, NES is not much different than any other social media platform

Back
Top Bottom